...and if there was any question of PTSD... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today while driving Sydney to the hospital I almost had a panic attack. The instant I turned onto the road it's on and saw the hospital, so many memories came rushing back of the first nights after she was born when we honestly didn't think she'd make it. :

Anyone else ever experienced anything like that? Does the feeling ever go away?

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#2 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 03:46 AM

My son still starts crying when he sees the hospital. And yes, I have had a panic attack when driving by. I think it takes time. Sometimes, lots of time. But yes, it does get better.
#3 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 04:32 AM

About once a month I have reason to drive by the exit right by the hospital and every time my stomach does a flip flop and I want to vomit. 18 months later and it still happens every time.

Lorrie
#4 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 AM

It's been 9 months since we left the hospital (granted she's had a few stays since) and the feeling always come back! Her doctor's office is right NEXT to the hospital so we go there about once a week. My chest always feels tight. I get a lump in my throat and my heart races. I calm down after a few minutes of being there though. Hopefully, it goes away eventually.
#5 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 10:25 AM

It dosent bother me when we go to follow up, like tommorow, but when we drive by that exit it bothers me

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#6 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneburh View Post
I go to the hospital frequently to drop off my milk. I don't go down the hall toward the NICU. But every time I make the drive to the hospital I start ranting to myself about the stupidity of the surgeon who removed Caleb's appendix simply "because he was there" without discussing it with us before the surgery.
That is so freaky! When I had my son by c-section, my mom asked if the surgoen took out my appendix too. I said I sure hoped not! My mom is a nurse and she said they used to do that (she's in her 70's) but I didn't think they did it anymore. I would have been PO'd too.

The hospital thing definitely gets better. My DS is 6.5 yo now and I don't really drive by the hospital often (it is an hour from here) but I used to get all anxious when I had to turn on the road out of our town that I used to take. I don't anymore though.
#7 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM

I hate driving by the hospital. I feel kind of panicky. (What was I thinking picking a Pediatrician with an office right next door to the hospital? )

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#8 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 05:50 PM

i'm pretty recent out of the NICU but i cry every time we have to go there. We are there once a month for RSV needle.
#9 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 06:33 PM

I hate calling the hospital and getting put on hold because its the same da$# song they had 4 1/2 yrs ago and I hated calling the hospital for updates (while I was at work!) cuz I never knew if something had happened.
#10 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Avraham Chaim is back in the hospital with pneumonia. The same hospital. The same hallway as the old NICU (the NICU moved upstairs when he was a week old). This is the hallway that my baby almost didn't survive the trip down on the way to the NICU.

:

It looks like a couple more days until we get to take him home again.
#11 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liba613 View Post
Avraham Chaim is back in the hospital with pneumonia. The same hospital. The same hallway as the old NICU (the NICU moved upstairs when he was a week old). This is the hallway that my baby almost didn't survive the trip down on the way to the NICU.

:

It looks like a couple more days until we get to take him home again.
Oh Liba. That just stinks.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#12 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 PM

About 6mos after Julian was released from the NICU my FIL was admitted to the same hospital for brain surgery on a different floor than the NICU. It was really hard going back, walking through the same hallways and seeing some of the same people.

With Dakota, going back is almost joyous because I never thought I'd be able to walk back through those doors with a her in my arms. I still miss the nurses so much after seeing them every day for the better part of last year. It made me a little jumpy the first time we went back but seeing the familiar smiling faces made it all worth while. I can't wait until we go back in a few weeks.
#13 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irangel View Post
About 6mos after Julian was released from the NICU my FIL was admitted to the same hospital for brain surgery on a different floor than the NICU. It was really hard going back, walking through the same hallways and seeing some of the same people.
A month after Maggie was home, my MIL had surgery at the same hospital, in the same building. Bob took our dd1 to see Grandma and I stayed home w Maggie. Bob said it was horrible parking and taking the same hallway, same elevator but to a different floor. Then the bathroom on the floor was out of order and had to take dd1 to our nicu floor to use the bathroom and that was tough.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 16 Old 01-15-2007, 09:52 PM

#15 of 16 Old 01-16-2007, 12:21 AM

It's weird - I've been to the hospital 2x for blood tests (for the girls) and seen people from the high risk antepartum unit and the NICU. I've driven by there several times in the past year and had no problems. But on their birthday last week I drove by and broke out in a sweat and got palpitations. It took me totally by surprise, as I had actually been considering stopping by the NICU with cookies since we would be in the area. Glad I was too lazy for that plan!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#16 of 16 Old 01-17-2007, 12:30 AM

On the way to the hospital today for follow up, my heart raced because this was the weather we had right after Maggie was born. The follow up Dr was the Dr who delivered Maggie and we greeted each other very warmly and she was thrilled to see us. We talked for a long time as well as visited and it has helped me a lot today. We then walked over to the nicu and delivered two bannana breads and saw Maggie's primary. Also saw yet another family who delivered last night and we talked to the family.
the nicu said they loved when we visited because not only did they love seeing MAggie, but we always brought treats.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page