OB/peri question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know who/where else to ask this

When you have a high risk pregnancy, do you go to both a perinatologist and an OB or just a perinatologist?

I'm a little confused by some posts I've been reading on our local preemie list...but I don't want to ask there and look silly

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#2 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 AM

As you may know, I was just diagnosed with IUGR. I am seeing my OB and the peri.
I go to the peri twice a week for NST/BPP, he forwards the results to my OB. They are making decisions of my care together. My OB will be the one to "deliver" me and the peri will be on hand for care of the baby during labor also. I was told to call my OB if my kick counts were low and go from there. Of course I can call the peri at anytime for advice.
If there is a problem on my NST/BPP and the peri want me in the hospital, I will most likely agree and my ob will be there also. I guess it is a "team" effort.

Hope that helps.....
#3 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 AM

I had a similar situation where I saw both my peri & my OB. They worked together & I totally love them both

Michele
 joy.gif
#4 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 02:37 AM

It was recommended to me if I ever try to get pregnant again (no thank you, one near death experience is enough for me) that I should see both a peri & an OB to monitor my pregnancy and so on.

I statistically have a high risk of having early severe pre-eclampsia again.
Whee.
Then again I would have to get my insurance to agree.
#5 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 AM

BTW....
A perinatologist cares for an unborn fetus as an OB cares for a woman during pregnancy.....
#6 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM

I just saw a peri for my last 2 pregnancies - she was part of a high risk maternal/fetal medicine team in Boston. I had all of my u/s there and was eventually hospitalized there too for pprom. I liked that i could see my doctor throut the pregnancy and also that I could participate in research I (anything to help reduce premature births!).
#7 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 11:39 AM

I saw both. My peri was basically a consultant to my OB. Although the way it ended up, the peri made all the important calls, but the OB did the actual delivery.

I know that the peri group at Fairfax does a lot of deliveries, but I think my group is more consultant-like. But the group at Fairfax will also do consultant type work as well. I know there's an MDC mama who used the Fairfax group as her primary OB during her pregnancy. You can PM me for her name.

New WOHM to DD8 and DD3
#8 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

yeah - that makes sense.

The peri delivered me but up until then I'd just been under a midwife because we didn't know I was high risk.

anyway thanks everyone, that makes a lot of the posts I've been seeing there make more sense

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#9 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 01:22 PM

After 20 weeks (when we got dd's diagnosis) I only saw my peri. Up until 20 weeks I only saw an ob. My peri delivered dd. He was fabulous!
#10 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 PM

I saw my OB for all my regular visits, and the peri for Level II u/s every 3-4 weeks.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#11 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 PM

From 15wks onward I saw both the OB and the peri at least once a week.
#12 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 05:14 PM

*OB mad the decision to deliver before I saw the peri, and the peri agreed.
#13 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 06:24 PM

I'm high risk this time but have only seen an OB.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#14 of 17 Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM

I saw both with my last 2 pregnancies. I was seen by a Perinatologist with my twins just because it was multiples and my OB referred anyone carrying multiples to them. The main thing the Peri did was ultrasounds to check the babies and also checking on the cervix. I loved the ultrasound tech there. I usually got the same one and she really knew what she was doing. I'm not sure who was supposed to be at the actual delivery because I showed up 9 cm dialated at the hospital and got stuck with the on call staff doctor.

I didn't see a Peri with Lydie until I hemorrhaged at 15.5 weeks. I wasn't considered high risk until that happened. I had ultrasounds there every 2 weeks to check the cervix and the bleeding from the placenta. The OB did the routine prenatal stuff. The day I went into the hospital before dd was born I called the OB and said I was having heavy bleeding and they didn't even have me come in. They told me to call the Peri. I went to his office where they found I was 2 cm dialated and in labor. I had an ambulance transport from his office. I was in the hospital 4 days before I delivered. Both the OB and Peri saw me (although the Peri only came in twice). The regular OB delivered Lydie.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#15 of 17 Old 02-01-2007, 03:27 PM

I never saw a peri until the end, when I was obviously already sick.

My doctor says that if we decide to have another child I will see BOTH of them pretty frequently.

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

#16 of 17 Old 02-01-2007, 04:38 PM

I know when i had iugr i saw both. with next pregnancies typically you will just see the peri if they think you'll have problems again, otherwise the ob and then possibly ob/peri cobo again.
#17 of 17 Old 02-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
I saw both. My peri was basically a consultant to my OB. Although the way it ended up, the peri made all the important calls, but the OB did the actual delivery.

I know that the peri group at Fairfax does a lot of deliveries, but I think my group is more consultant-like. But the group at Fairfax will also do consultant type work as well. I know there's an MDC mama who used the Fairfax group as her primary OB during her pregnancy. You can PM me for her name.
I saw both a peri and my ob group. I saw the obs more often but I saw my peri for US's and my peri also performed my cerclage surgery. Nic was 5 weeks early but my ob performed the c-section. My peri was consulted throughout the pregnancy and both my ob and peri were consulted on a gallbladder surgery I had at 26 weeks.

I used the group at Inova Fairfax, Perinatal Associates and my peri, Dr. Khoury, is head of perinatal at Inova Fairfax. I absolutely love him and his practice.

I've been told any future pregnancies will involve cerclages and I have a current friend who is going through this and will also be working with my peri. I wouldn't go to another practice, I was very happy with the care I received during this pregnancy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page