I'm having one of those moments - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2007, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know the ones. Where you look at your preemie and wonder "aren't you supposed to be doing ____".

So help me out here: when did your preemie start to laugh. Not just the ha, but "ha ha ha".

Specifically preemie, I know when my older son started to laugh. The doctor keeps putting it off and I'm okay with that, but when we are playing it looks like he wants to laugh but it just doesn't come out.

He is 4.5 months AA, he will be 6 months CA on the 12th. He has been a chatter for a few weeks now and he happy sighs, but no hahahahas.

I know I am being silly, but humor me with an answer. (And yes I realize babies work on their own schedules)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 PM

If it makes you feel any better, Lilly still doesn't laugh that often. She was about 7 or 8 months before she really laughed a Ha, Ha, Ha laugh. Lilly is a happy baby and she will smile big smiles at things, but it has to be something really funny before she will laugh. I'm not worried because my mom said that I was the same way, and I wasn't a preemie. I think that it is just a temperament thing. Some babies laugh a lot and some babies don't. HTH

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM

Oh geez, make me pull memories outta my brain first thing in the morning. LOL. Emma didn't start really laughing until about 7 months AA, 10 months real age. She will be a year in a week and a half. She is nowhere NEAR crawling or standing and she just learned to sit up unassited (if we get her into the position) about a month ago!
Old 02-08-2007, 02:35 PM

We occasionally get a slight chuckle, more of a he...he. We get happy squealing, if that counts?

She rarely laughs...I frequently wonder if I'm not as funny looking as I once thought

Adara is a little over 4 months adjusted, and will be 6 months actual tomorrow.

I honestly don't remember on Ryan....I can't believe I don't remember...I need to go find his baby book and look....

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

Old 02-08-2007, 02:58 PM

My 39-weeker (for a FT comparison) had really rolling belly giggles at 16 weeks. I only know this because I zurberted his belly to get him to do it so I could tape it. (He's now 9 so that was a while ago.)
Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbavrbab View Post
I honestly don't remember on Ryan....I can't believe I don't remember...I need to go find his baby book and look....
OK, so I am not the only one. I just asked Bob, when did Maggie start laughing? He said, oh a while ago.. real big help there....

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 02-09-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. All of you made me feel better.

When he happy sighs, it looks like he wants to laugh, but he has no clue what to do- so he cries. I'm not very worried, but my mind started to wonder what the heck was going on.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
OK, so I am not the only one. I just asked Bob, when did Maggie start laughing? He said, oh a while ago.. real big help there....
: omg...tooo funny because my husband said the SAME EXACT THING when I asked him if he remembered when Ryan first laughed!

Does your husband make those comments often? Mine is particularly fond of them

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 AM

I know dd began smiling regularly around 6mo corrected. No big belly laughs until much, much later- probably was 8 or 9 mos corrected. The "social skills" really worried me much much more than her motor skills. I spent alot of time worrying about when she'd make eye contact, smile, babble a bit, ect. She eventually did all of those things but I was a wreck until they happened.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:29 AM

Hey splendid. I caught this on the new posts.

Dd3 is almost 7mths and she only laughs when i'm really working hard at tickling her. She doesn't laugh just when we make funny faces. She smiles alot tho. DD2 and dd1 did the same thing. Now both older dds laughs their head off.

HTH Just wanted to share that even full term babies can also not laugh early on.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
Old 02-11-2007, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
I know dd began smiling regularly around 6mo corrected. No big belly laughs until much, much later- probably was 8 or 9 mos corrected. The "social skills" really worried me much much more than her motor skills. I spent alot of time worrying about when she'd make eye contact, smile, babble a bit, ect. She eventually did all of those things but I was a wreck until they happened.
thank you.

Like I said I was having one of those days where I kept wondering if it was just an AA thing I should be waiting for and sometimes it helps hearing someone else goes through it too.

User Tag List