looking for help and resources - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi MDC Mama's, I'm hoping you can help me. . My SIL just gave birth to a full term 3lb 4 oz baby boy.... He is not a preemie so i'm not sure i'm posting in the right place but I have given myself the job of researching how she can best nurture this little guy .. i'm trying to print out some resources.. have already gotten some stuff on Kangaroo Care, was wondering if anyone had any advice, links, suggestions, etc.. For example, is there anything she can take that will help him to gain weight (vitamins, supplements, etc???) (she is breastfeeding and he is doing well with that right now), any information would be helpful.. thank you so much!!!
#2 of 8 Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM

Sounds like he has IUGR. Is he at home? Is he at the nicu? All I can offer is feed feed feed. She can try seperating her milk int he fridge (letting the fat rise to the top) and feeding him more of that then "whole milk". Moreso than anything it's just a matter of time.
#3 of 8 Old 02-19-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

he is now in the nicu. What is IUGR?? Thanks!
#4 of 8 Old 02-19-2007, 05:41 PM

IUGR - Intrauterine Growth Restriction. I don't know much about it other than what the acronym means. Is he doing OK other than the weight - i.e. breathing, feeding, etc.? I'm sending good thoughts for your little nephew!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#5 of 8 Old 02-19-2007, 06:21 PM

There are several links to IUGR definitions in the sticky of definitions.

There are also some ideas on how to care for the familys of NICU babies and the babies in the what we wish our family would have known sticky.

HMF would help the baby grow if he is not nursing from the breast. She could possibly use a SNS to supplement while he nurses.

Otherwise time patience and love will help him. Nursing is the best thing for him.
#6 of 8 Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 AM

Hi and Congratulations To your SIL!!!!

I agree w/pp! Breastmilk and time are the best nurturers ! My first child was born 4.5lbs full term due to IUGR (they never found a cause for it other than the umbilical cord was a bit short). She is now an extremely smart, annoying, ever inquisitive 5 yr old!!! She is of average height but very very slim. When Drs see her they always ask if she was a preemie! She spent 10 days in an intermediate nursery and came home. Hope your SIL's baby has a smooth/quick ride thru the NICU and comes home quickly!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#7 of 8 Old 02-20-2007, 08:15 AM

Symmetric IUGR (overall small baby, including head) implies a longer-term growth restriction and possibly more long-term sequelae. Asymmetric (brain-sparing) IUGR tends to have better outcomes (head closer to AGA size, while body may still be more SGA).

mama to Max (2/02) and Sophie (10/06); wife to my fabulous girl
#8 of 8 Old 02-20-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Everyone.. The little guy is doing well.. The first day (Saturday) she had him skin to skin and exclusively breastfeeding,but as of now he has been moved to the NICU and is receiving formula, but still continues to also receive breastmilk.. So far, so good, just got to keep his blood sugars right and his temperature stabalized. I beleive they won't release him until he is 4 pounds. Thanks for the info, She is in another state and I feel so far away and unable to help.. this helps us to understand what's going on!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page