Does the hospital try to stop labor at 35 weeks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 35 weeks today. If I went to the hospital in labor, would they try to stop it?
#2 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
I'm 35 weeks today. If I went to the hospital in labor, would they try to stop it?
I had two 36 week babies and one 39 weeker. Where I had my children, yes they would attempt to stop labor before 36 weeks. It may be different in other places.
#3 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I delivered at an army hospital and they said they do not stop labor after 34 weeks. I went in at 32 weeks with PPROM and they said they would try to stop it until I hit 34 weeks and then would just let me go. Unfortunately I never started labor on my own and was induced with pitocin.

Meg

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#4 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:08 AM

it depends on what's put you into labor. If you've got an infection, or PPROM, then they will not try to stop. But if it's just contractions, at least in my neck of the woods, they will try tocolytics to see if they can get you to go longer (at least long enough to get bethamethasone on board, so 48 hours)
#5 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM

Many hospitals seem to have a cut-off for stopping labor right around the 34-35 week point. Each one is slightly different, but odds are they will not try to stop your labor, especially if you get further into your 35th week.
#6 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 PM

I delivered my son at 35 weeks.
#7 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 PM

In my area yes, only because they cant care for a baby earlier than 36/37 weeks. They just arent medically equipt. so they slow you down, if they cant stop it the ship you off to a bigger city hospital. Now if they jsut can stop it and theres no waitin for a transfer then they deliver the baby and emergency transfer mom and baby(in different ambulances/helecopters) to a bigger hospital.
I begged them to keep DD in me till we got to a bigger hospital. There was no way that I was letting her out of my sight at 30 weeks(I didnt deliver her till 31 wks). SO I got stabilized and transfered while still prego. Think I scared the medic LOL. He was really afraid of me going into labor at every bump in the road.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 PM

Not at my hospital (Kaiser). They told me they won't try to stop it past 35. In my case, my water broke at midnight on a Thursday morning and contractions started about 6 hours later. I was delivered by c/s at 6 that evening even though I was only 33 weeks 6 days-but it was because of the circumstances. They would have liked me to go longer, but the contractions started coming faster and they thought the baby needed to come out sooner rather than later.
#9 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 PM

I was in a car accident at 34 weeks with my first pregnancy and started having contractions. We got them stopped and I was told they aim for 36 weeks and would have tried to stop them anytime before then.
#10 of 18 Old 04-10-2007, 09:47 PM

depends on the hospital, dr on call and your specific pregnancy.

Carrie, The Birthteacher CCE and Doula, real mom to five; and womb-mom to G. born at 23w by emergency C. 12/09
#11 of 18 Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 AM

I had preterm labor at 35 weeks with my second child and when I went to the hospital they wanted to give me terbutaline to stop the contractions. We decided to wait an hour before taking the meds and the contractions slowed on their own and they sent me home a few hours later. I didn't deliver until 40w2d (my only time ever to make it to my due date)

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
#12 of 18 Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 PM

I went into labour at 35.5 weeks with my youngest, although they whern't certain of the Due date (US said I was just on 37weeks) They didn't stop labour but they waited 12hour before performing the c/s to make sure that I was in a good labour (not something that with some fluids and a little rest that it would stop) (I was schedualed for a c/s at 39.5 weeks)
#13 of 18 Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM

My hospital did. Actually, one of the three OBs I saw released me to the hospital to have the baby, and I walked over there, called DH and made him leave work, only to find out that the OB on call didn't want me to have the baby before 36 weeks and decided to try to stop my labor (for the 5th time). They suceeded, and released me, and I went to 37 weeks and had a very healthy 7lb 20inch baby girl.

Mama to two wonderful DDs (10/06 and 09/08) and expecting a DS 1/1/11!
#14 of 18 Old 04-14-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
I delivered at an army hospital and they said they do not stop labor after 34 weeks. I went in at 32 weeks with PPROM and they said they would try to stop it until I hit 34 weeks and then would just let me go. Unfortunately I never started labor on my own and was induced with pitocin.

Meg
I was seen at an Army hospital threw my whole prenancy... i went in at 35 wks and 3 days and got sent out.. my hospital doesn't have a NICU.. i went to a local main hospital and had bella that day....she was perfectly fine...7lbs 1oz and 19 inches... roomed with me and went home... i did get the Chief Ped doc... he was down to explain to me just how preemie she was and what to watch out for and so on and so forth....

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#15 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 03:49 PM

I had PPROM at 35 weeks and they did not try to stop it. The series of events went "water breaking --> ultrasound to find he was breech --> C-sec. the next a.m.--> 8 days of NICU." He's right as rain today, though!
#16 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 03:55 PM

Depends on the hospital. My hospital would not.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#17 of 18 Old 04-18-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janellesmommy View Post
I was told they would not try to stop labor with anything other than IV fluid (in case of dehydration) after 34 weeks.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#18 of 18 Old 04-19-2007, 04:53 PM

I was 34wks exactly and I had terb and mag sulfate along w/ steroid shots. They stopped all that 12hrs after my last steroid and he stay put for another 4 wks. Had I even been one more day along, they probably wouldn't have stopped it.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page