You know you're a preemie parent when... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 100 Old 05-02-2007, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbavrbab View Post
Okay, new pet peeve...the NEXT person who tells me how LUCKY I am that Adara can't move around yet is going to be VERY lucky I don't knock them senseless... :

INCLUDING (maybe especially!) THE PEDIATRICIAN!

Yes, you see I STRIVE for my 9 month old to be unable to roll over! Who wants a normally developing child? Not me...I LIKE seeing PTs and OTs weekly...it is the highlight of my week

I shouldn't whine about it, I'm sorry... ::gathers up the pieces to her head:: and
I like how people use uncomfortable humor.... of which I am guilty, but I do remember that you told me once to look for the positives today So, the positive is that you are no longer in the same room with that pediatrician.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 100 Old 05-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1972 View Post
I like how people use uncomfortable humor.... of which I am guilty, but I do remember that you told me once to look for the positives today So, the positive is that you are no longer in the same room with that pediatrician.
You're right! That is definately the positive! Thank you for reminding me

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

#63 of 100 Old 05-02-2007, 05:24 PM

I just have to say I love reading this thread. My dd is almost 7 weeks (1 week corrected) and I find myself boring friends and family with talk of being a preemie parent.

I had 2 irritating moments yesterday.
1 - I went to visit my workplace and a co-worker commented how her 1 yo is more than 3 times the size of dd...and I had been excited that she is up to 8 lbs now.

2 - I went shopping for a little bit and had one woman lecture me about taking such a small child out of the house because "good mothers want to make sure their newborns don't get sick."
#64 of 100 Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix23 View Post
Speaking of smells, the one that always gets me nervous is not the soap, it is the smell of chlorine. There is a waterfall on the hall leading to the NICU and it always smelled like chlorine and that smell still bothers me. Here's a pic: http://www.caromontbirthplace.org/the-birthplace.htm. The man walking down the hall is actually Lilly's neo, Dr. Coppage.

I want to have my next baby at your NICU. kthx.

-sarah-
mom to three, 4 and under.
#65 of 100 Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM

ME TOO!!! I am gonna move there just so I can have my next baby at that hospital....wow that place looks nice... JK I cant afford to move that far, but that place looks pretty cool.
I totally understand the smell thing, they had this hand sanitizer at our NICU that just makes me cringe when I smell it now. Brings back all those pics in my mind of our time there too.

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#66 of 100 Old 05-02-2007, 07:10 PM

#67 of 100 Old 05-03-2007, 07:36 PM

you sure thats a nicu and not a 5 star hotel?? Well I am sure it costs more than that daily!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#68 of 100 Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 PM

OK, I've been thinking about this for a long time.

You know you're a preemie mom when... you never got a chance to pack a bag to go to the hospital and leave it by the door in case you had to rush out the door (because you were only 6 months pregnant and who packs their bag at 6 months?) INSTEAD, you pack a bag and leave it by the door in case you have to rush to the hospital... but its *after* she comes home!

Oh, and I get NICU flashbacks at the intersection by the hospital- the one that I sat at every night for 76 nights with an uncomfortable feeling that I left something important somewhere.
#69 of 100 Old 05-05-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post

You know you're a preemie mom when... you never got a chance to pack a bag to go to the hospital and leave it by the door in case you had to rush out the door (because you were only 6 months pregnant and who packs their bag at 6 months?) INSTEAD, you pack a bag and leave it by the door in case you have to rush to the hospital... but its *after* she comes home!

Oh, and I get NICU flashbacks at the intersection by the hospital- the one that I sat at every night for 76 nights with an uncomfortable feeling that I left something important somewhere.

every day when i left the NICU to go back to my room at RMH, i'd run a mental checklist to make sure that i hadn't forgotten anything, and every day, i felt like i'd forgotten something.

it took me about two weeks to finally realize that the thing i had forgotten was my baby.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#70 of 100 Old 05-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Reading this thread gets me all teary eyed because I can not say that we have left the NICU where it is.. We brought the darn thing to our house.. And my baby is almost 2!!

I can spot a preemie out in public without even knowing them.. even if they do not have any equipment.
#71 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post

every day when i left the NICU to go back to my room at RMH, i'd run a mental checklist to make sure that i hadn't forgotten anything, and every day, i felt like i'd forgotten something.

it took me about two weeks to finally realize that the thing i had forgotten was my baby.
I remember that feeling

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#72 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I know that feeling well. And the NICU smell that invades your pores and sticks on you for HOURS afterwards. Sara smelled like NICU after she left and I felt like she needed 5 or 6 baths to forget about that place.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#73 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 07:15 AM

#74 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
I can spot a preemie out in public without even knowing them.. even if they do not have any equipment.
i do that too! there's a way most preemies carry themselves that makes them unique. i can spot the difference between a preemie and a petite full term baby really easily. don't know why.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#75 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstress View Post

Ugh, yes to all of the above! I always laugh (bitterly) to myself on other boards when people are asking "is this a good list for my hospital bag?" Because I realize my only answer could be "All I had when I was admitted straight from the OB was my purse, and somehow I managed..." which really just doesn't take the conversation anywhere productive, ya know?

Which leads me to another "you know you're a preemie mama..." It's when you find yourself opening and closing reply windows on pregnancy boards, because you realize your experience just doesn't relate to the normal experience and isn't really helpful. All those "Can I eat lunchmeat?" posts are out of my league. If I say "Yeah, I ate lunchmeat and I was fine" who is going to accept that? Yeah, you ate lunchmeat and your babies were born at 29 friggin' weeks. Nevermind that the two are totally unrelated. I just feel like anything I could possibly weigh in on is warped, so it's not worth answering.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#76 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 07:48 PM

#77 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Ugh, yes to all of the above! I always laugh (bitterly) to myself on other boards when people are asking "is this a good list for my hospital bag?" Because I realize my only answer could be "All I had when I was admitted straight from the OB was my purse, and somehow I managed..." which really just doesn't take the conversation anywhere productive, ya know?
I'm not even sure I had my purse...

My mom had to go to Target for me 2 days after she was born and get me stuff because we were so woefully unprepared.

-sarah-
#78 of 100 Old 05-06-2007, 09:23 PM

#79 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
i do that too! there's a way most preemies carry themselves that makes them unique. i can spot the difference between a preemie and a petite full term baby really easily. don't know why.
Probably the head shape
#80 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 AM

I always think it's something about the head and the eyes...that always seems to give it away to me.

Angela - wife to my gamer hubby and SAHM to Handsome autismribbon.gif 3/6/03 (~35wks), Princess 8/9/06: (33wks) - we are HELLP survivors, Bubbalicious 9/15/09 (FULL TERM!), and pos.gif oops...here we go AGAIN! (June/July 2012?)

#81 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post

Which leads me to another "you know you're a preemie mama..." It's when you find yourself opening and closing reply windows on pregnancy boards, because you realize your experience just doesn't relate to the normal experience and isn't really helpful. All those "Can I eat lunchmeat?" posts are out of my league. If I say "Yeah, I ate lunchmeat and I was fine" who is going to accept that? Yeah, you ate lunchmeat and your babies were born at 29 friggin' weeks. Nevermind that the two are totally unrelated. I just feel like anything I could possibly weigh in on is warped, so it's not worth answering.
Kind of related to hospital bags since most people pack a coming home outfit..

My mother asked me what outfit I wanted her to pack for the baby to come home.. Mind you I was only 27 weeks and at the hospital because my water had broken and had not even delivered yet.. She just did not understand that when he was born that he would not come home.

My bag that I packed for the baby to come home was ridiculous.. I mean.. who takes their baby straight from the NICU to somewhere that they will need 4 or 5 bottles and a million diapers??
#82 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Your child is a year old and 3-6months clothes fit her fine, as well as size 2 diapers.
This is us too. But my son is almost 2 and can wear 0-3 month in shorts because his bottom is so small.
#83 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
Your child is a year old and 3-6months clothes fit her fine, as well as size 2 diapers.
You look back at the "newborn" sized clothes you bought while you were pregnant in awe at how big they are, when at the time you bought them you weren't sure if they were going to be big enough because the babies in your family tend to be big.
#84 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
I'm not even sure I had my purse...

My mom had to go to Target for me 2 days after she was born and get me stuff because we were so woefully unprepared.
I had my 2 year olds diaper bag, and I was wearing my best friends HUSBANDS shorts and teeshirt because it got warm out that day and I was in sweats.
#85 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan&Zav View Post
I had my 2 year olds diaper bag, and I was wearing my best friends HUSBANDS shorts and teeshirt because it got warm out that day and I was in sweats.
:

I wouldn't go to the hospital until I got a shower that evening. Of course I show up there and the instant they find out what my bp was, I'm flat on my back in bed with a hospital gown on. Fat lot of good that shower did me :

although considering my next shower was 3 days later and I'm an every day type gal it probably did help some.

-sarah-
#86 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 06:29 PM

I got lucky. Since I was just there for a NST, I at least had a blanket I was knitting for the baby with me, so I had something to do while I laid around. :

We had to go to the store before we went to get her so we could get a coming home outfit for her. We had told everyone to not get us any newborn clothes because she was expected to be around 9 lbs at birth.
#87 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksera05 View Post
:

I wouldn't go to the hospital until I got a shower that evening. Of course I show up there and the instant they find out what my bp was, I'm flat on my back in bed with a hospital gown on. Fat lot of good that shower did me :

although considering my next shower was 3 days later and I'm an every day type gal it probably did help some.
I made DH bring me my toiletries because I was planning on taking a shower the next morning since I was only admitted for observation - I was still in denial that I was in labor.
#88 of 100 Old 05-07-2007, 08:15 PM

The first time I was admitted for PTL, I came straight from the office, so all I had was the outfit I'd worn to work, and my purse.

I asked DH to go home and get a bag for me since they were admitting me for an unknown period of time. I told him which drawers I kept all of my clothes in (he keeps his in the guest room downstairs, so we don't share a dresser) and asked him to get me a few outfits since I was allowed to wear my own clothes in the hospital (apparently). I also asked him to grab me a book or two.

So when he showed up with my bag, I opened it to find 1 shirt, 11 pairs of socks, 8 pairs of underwear, 4 bras, 3 pairs of pants, 7 pairs of shorts, and 13 books. He had to use two bags 'cause he packed so many books.

No toiletries...not even a toothbrush. When I asked him if he had a separate toiletry bag, the look on his face was priceless. "Um, oh. I guess you needed those, huh? Crud. Well, uh, I can go home again?" No honey, I'm about to get loaded in to an ambulance and taken 90 miles away. Don't go home again.

#89 of 100 Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 AM

I have two to add:

When you're the last one due in your lamaze class and the first one to deliver (yes, this happened to me).

While all other mamas cling to their babies staying small, we wait in frustration for ours to grow!
#90 of 100 Old 05-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1972 View Post
I have two to add:

When you're the last one due in your lamaze class and the first one to deliver (yes, this happened to me).

While all other mamas cling to their babies staying small, we wait in frustration for ours to grow!
My Bradley class started two weeks AFTER she was born. We lost our $50 deposit. Sigh.

-sarah-

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page