Please share your Hernia success stories! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-07-2007, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey mamas,

So DS, who is still a tiny thing at 10m (actual), 7 adj., seems to have devloped a fluctuatingly large L testicle. At first it was sort- of bigger, but today it was lots bigger. It is still relatively soft, not squishy, but not hard, and seems a touch discolored. He does not appear in pain etc.

I haven't had a chance to point this out to our allopathic Doc yet. I'm planning on calling Monday.

I don't really want to try the push it back up thing b/c I don't have a clue about that.

So I've read that the only poss. fix is surgery. Prob. out patient. . . It's so common. . . blah blah blah. But ****, he has been so healthy, ATC, that this new issue is freaking me out a bit. More trauma!?! My poor boy :

Can anyone, who has been through something like this, tell me how it goes and what not.

Thanks
#2 of 14 Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My son had what appeared to be an hernia but his problem is really a hydrocele. It is a fluid collection in the scrotum. It is usually benign and should go away on its own. They don't do surgery on a hydrocele.

Of course my son's got infected after his feeding tube surgery and he ended up inpatient on antibiotic IVs for two weeks, but generally they are nothing.

The surgeon showed me where to feel and what to do to check and see if there was intestine in there or just fluid, since it can change from one to the other.
#3 of 14 Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 AM

My son had bilateral hernias and hydroceles... He had them repaired with surgery.. it was sort of an addon.. He was already having surgery for 4 other things at the same time so they added those so he wouldnt have to be put under another time for them.. Anyway the recovery from that part was super quick.. He still has residual hernias and hydroceles, but he has a VP shunt and the fluid that drains from his shunt goes straight to his testicles...

Anyway.. it was a huge success besides the residuals.. but they are not causing any problems..

If he does have stuff in them I really recommend trying to push it back up.. He might need emergency surgery if it will not go back up. I would not want to chance something getting caught.
#4 of 14 Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liba613 View Post
My son had what appeared to be an hernia but his problem is really a hydrocele. It is a fluid collection in the scrotum. It is usually benign and should go away on its own. They don't do surgery on a hydrocele.

Of course my son's got infected after his feeding tube surgery and he ended up inpatient on antibiotic IVs for two weeks, but generally they are nothing.

The surgeon showed me where to feel and what to do to check and see if there was intestine in there or just fluid, since it can change from one to the other.
They can too do surgery on hydroceles. My son had bilateral hydroceles and hernias and they did surgery on both of them.
#5 of 14 Old 07-08-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liba613 View Post
They don't do surgery on a hydrocele.
They can do surgery if it is bad enough for hydroceles. however, they usually like to wait until the child is older because they most often close on their own.

My DS had hydrocele surgery (surgeon said they were bialateral communicating hydroceles) when he was 6 months old because they were filling up with so much fluid that he would be crying in pain. The surgeon felt that they would never close on their own and could, and most likely would lead to hernias. After surgery the surgeon said that they were some of the largest hydroceles he had seen and that they never would have closed up on their own.

The surgery was harder on momma then him. He was more upset about being hungery when he woke up, and was home 3 hours later. A day later you never would have known he had anything done.

Molly
#6 of 14 Old 07-08-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyD View Post

The surgery was harder on momma then him. He was more upset about being hungery when he woke up, and was home 3 hours later. A day later you never would have known he had anything done.

Molly
Oh, Molly that makes me feel a lot better. . .
#7 of 14 Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM

Hernia surgery isn't a big deal at all. My son had double inguinal hernia surgery done at 38wks and about 4.8lbs. Then he went on to develop an extremely large hydrocele that had to be operated on two seperate times within his first year. No biggie at all to me but if your kid hasn't had surgery before I could see how it's scary. There are your typical surgery risks but that's about it.
#8 of 14 Old 07-09-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyD View Post
They can do surgery if it is bad enough for hydroceles. however, they usually like to wait until the child is older because they most often close on their own.

My DS had hydrocele surgery (surgeon said they were bialateral communicating hydroceles) when he was 6 months old because they were filling up with so much fluid that he would be crying in pain. The surgeon felt that they would never close on their own and could, and most likely would lead to hernias. After surgery the surgeon said that they were some of the largest hydroceles he had seen and that they never would have closed up on their own.

Molly
I have to second this, most of the time they don't do surgery for hydroceles. My son's was non-communicating and initially they did a laproscopy and then drained it because of pain issues but then it filled back up (almost unheard of) and blood flow to the testicle was being affected so they cut into it this time and fixed the problem permanently.
#9 of 14 Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irangel View Post
. No biggie at all to me but if your kid hasn't had surgery before I could see how it's scary. There are your typical surgery risks but that's about it.
DS had surgery while still in the NICU for severe ROP. No fun, but he was ALREADY there. . .I guess that made it easier in a sense. Enzo came home back in Dec. and DH now takes him to his allopathic doc. check ups. I am just so wigged out about doctors and their offices after the whole NICU thing. ( I really had to fight for no vax, no fortifier, etc.) I am nervous about handing him over to the Doctors again.

His next visit is tomorrow AM, so we'll find out then what it really is. I am grateful that it is *not that big of a deal*, in the whole scheme of things though.
#10 of 14 Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarenLisbeth View Post
DS had surgery while still in the NICU for severe ROP. No fun, but he was ALREADY there. . .I guess that made it easier in a sense. Enzo came home back in Dec. and DH now takes him to his allopathic doc. check ups. I am just so wigged out about doctors and their offices after the whole NICU thing. ( I really had to fight for no vax, no fortifier, etc.) I am nervous about handing him over to the Doctors again.

His next visit is tomorrow AM, so we'll find out then what it really is. I am grateful that it is *not that big of a deal*, in the whole scheme of things though.
I always carry my kiddos to the door of the operating room and then hand them over and it's not fun at all. I really trust our surgeon though and he's operated on my two youngest kiddos 5x so I know they're in good hands. I pray the surgery goes well. Let us know how things go.
#11 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarenLisbeth View Post
So I've read that the only poss. fix is surgery. Prob. out patient. . . It's so common. . . blah blah blah. But ****, he has been so healthy, ATC, that this new issue is freaking me out a bit. More trauma!?! My poor boy :
I know how you feel. DH and I were just talking about how lucky we are not to have needed any surgeries and then I went into the hospital later that day and was told that Erin had a hernia and would need surgery :cry: I know it's not major surgery and I've had them explain the whole surgery to me, but it's surgery AND it's a general anesthetic and (like you said) she doesn't need any more trauma.

The thing that frightens me the most is that she'll be ventilated again and she fought so long and hard to get off the vent the first time.
#12 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Yep, it's a hernia. We meet with the surgeon next week. I've been told he is really great, and that all he does are these types of things w/ preemies and younger kids. So that's a good thing for sure! Thanks for your support.
#13 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bec View Post

The thing that frightens me the most is that she'll be ventilated again and she fought so long and hard to get off the vent the first time.
Oh, I sooo know that feeling. It was exactly the same for Enzo when he had to get his ROP surgery. He had only been off C-pap for a little over a week
( after spending literally months on and off all types of ventilators to reach that point ) and then they reintubated him. It was a struggle to get him to breath on his own again after that surgery. Almost another 5-6 days, but he did. My best thoughts are with you, your family and Erin. I am sure she'll rock it!
#14 of 14 Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM

The doctors here have said that long term vent. after hernia surgery isn't common. Usually they extubate the babies in theatre *fingers crossed* I hope everything goes well for you guys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page