I've never read this thread - - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and I never wanted to. But it looks like this forum will be my new best friend. And although I would never wish this on anyone I'm glad I have a support system here to turn to.

I was admitted to the hospital yesterday at 24/6 from my appointment with my birth center. My water broke at 24 weeks but I thought he was laying on my bladder : duh.

Thankfully I didn't go into labor this past week. But obviously I have no way of knowing how long he will stay put (hopefully a very boring -for me- several more weeks.

I have not done any reading on preterm babies as I had no risk factors or warning signs. So the past day has been a crash course in all the preterm baby/NICU info and at this point I'm trying to learn everything I can.

I'm off to start reading!

Mariah
Mommy to Lily & Kane and we're homeschooling joy.gif
#2 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 PM

I'm sorry you're here. How's that for a welcome? I hope you can keep that baby inside as long as possible for a healthy outcome. Feel free to ask questions, vent, whatever you have to in the meantime!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#3 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 11:21 PM

I hope your baby stays in for as long as possible. I have heard of amniotic sacs resealing, I hope yours does.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 18 Old 12-21-2007, 11:50 PM

Here's another hoping for a seal! My water fully broke at 20 weeks, but either partially re-sealed or got plugged by ds in some way b/c it went from gushing to a slow leak. And then broke/un-plugged again a few weeks later. Ugh.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#5 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 01:28 AM

Hi and HUGS!!!

As pps have said a reseal is possible. I ruptured between 15-17 weeks and spent 11 weeks on bedrest. My dd was born at 26 weeks. I think I had a partial reseal but the fluid levels remained low.

I hope you are at a hospital w/a good NICU! This is important!! I noticed you are in NC... I delivered at Mission hospital in NC (Asheville)...the Drs were great.

AND if you haven't found this site yet check it out! They saved my sanity and they gave me the strength to fight for my dd !!

http://lists.kanalen.org/prom/

Drink LOTS of water and take vit c!! Stay positive!

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#6 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 AM

Glad someone already gave you the Kanalen link. It was a source of great encouragement for me when my water broke the first time at 27w1d and then again when my water broke at 24w3d. I know many people who have stayed pregnant for weeks to months after their water broke.

I wish you lots of amniotic fluid and long nights and days in ante-partum. The only way I got through it was by celebrating when I hit a milestone or had a good ultrasound. With my first baby I stayed pregnant for 13 days and with my second for only 4 days but if determination stands for anything I should have stayed pregnant for another 8wks. I went in so determined to live in that hospital room until I hit 32wks that the nurses thought for sure I would make it.

Be careful of what you read. You will find very mixed opinions on babies at this gestation. Your best source of info will be talking with a neonatologist who has hopefully already been down to see you and explain what things will be like when the baby is born.
#7 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcomes and the link. I'm off to check that!

I asked about the sac resealing but I have a low tear. A high tear can repair itself but they basically told me it isn't going to happen this time. I can still hope!!!!

I am at UNC hospital in Chapel Hill which has an awesome NICU. (Too bad it's an hour from my house but at least I'm where I need to be and they can and have done wonderful things here so I'm just planning to be another success story! )

Mariah
#8 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 05:05 PM

There is a very experimental blood patch (way it was described to me) technique to reseal bag and carry further. A client of mine who ruptured from her amniocentisis received this her in Maryland and was able to continue the pregnancy for four more months (on bedrest) and had her baby at 36 weeks and he did marvelously well with only a 5 day NICU stay. You might want to ask about it.
#9 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homewithtwinsmama View Post
There is a very experimental blood patch (way it was described to me) technique to reseal bag and carry further. A client of mine who ruptured from her amniocentisis received this her in Maryland and was able to continue the pregnancy for four more months (on bedrest) and had her baby at 36 weeks and he did marvelously well with only a 5 day NICU stay. You might want to ask about it.
It is called an Amniopatch......just type that into Google and you can get alot of interesting info on it.
#10 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 08:19 PM

My docs wouldn't do the patch b/c I had a full rupture and not a slow leak. They wouldn't do an amnioinfusion either. I was really bummed at the time.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#11 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal_chick View Post
My docs wouldn't do the patch b/c I had a full rupture and not a slow leak. They wouldn't do an amnioinfusion either. I was really bummed at the time.
Same with me. I had a full rupture that was not repairable. Had the leaking slowed or lessened they said it would become a consideration but it never did with either child.
#12 of 18 Old 12-23-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'll ask about the patch - but I don't really see it happening.

We live an hour away from the hospital and they told me that being 5 min. away is too far and too risky at this point : They didn't even want me to go downstairs (4 floors) to sit and watch our other DD play... . That put me over the edge and they changed their minds - but just for 30 min! lol

I know I'm very lucky to be in this great hospital with all of these wonderful people looking after me... it's just such a bummer that we're here in the first place... let alone right before the holidays.

Sorry...turning it into a pitty party. I appreciate all your ideas and warm wishes. This just sucks.

Mariah
#13 of 18 Old 12-24-2007, 11:16 AM

Hello and Welcome. Sorry you had to join us and most of us here too didnt have any time to read up so study away!! and keep that baby in!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#14 of 18 Old 12-24-2007, 11:23 AM

i just wanted to give you a hug for Christmas. i spent last CHristmas in the hospital trying to keep my LO in longer, i had developing pre-e and was admitted on Dec 23 and was in until Dec 26 and then sent home on bedrest. my family came and we opened presents in my hospital room. it's not fun being in the hospital on Christmas but at least you know you are doing the best thing for your baby. i hope that you are able to make your Christmast something special anyway and all the best with keeping your LO cooking as long as possible.

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
#15 of 18 Old 12-24-2007, 05:16 PM

I'm sorry you found yourself here, but I'm glad you found it! I hope you have a peaceful Christmas and that your LO stays in for as long as possible...
#16 of 18 Old 12-24-2007, 05:21 PM

hugss for you and your family...i hope you abd child are ok

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all , Loving their daddy, my hubby, our soldier
#17 of 18 Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 PM

so sorry you had to join us here, but welcome!

I just wanted you to know that UNC is a *fantastic* hospital, and their NICU is top-notch. I actually did my pediatric clinical rotation there in nursing school, and that NICU was the reason I wanted to work in peds. You and your LO are in very good hands!
#18 of 18 Old 12-27-2007, 03:01 AM

I just wanted to give you some hugs and tell you that I hope your little one stays in a lot longer! I have been through the preemie thing two times and it is very hard to go through, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page