Anyone heard of this??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was hoping that someone here has heard of this or might know anything about it or at the very least direct me in the right direction.

Our NICU was very big on co-bedding twins as soon as they were stable. I know that alot research has shown that they tend to do better when preemies are co-bedded.
Recently someone told me that the research has shown that there is a increase rate of SIDS for co-bedded twins, and that at their NICU, the neonatologist has said that is the reason that they don't co-bed twins anymore, when hers were in the NICU. Of course that doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the NICU where they are mointered 24/7.

I am honestly thinking part of it is the medical fields total paranoia about having another person, or even thing sleeping with a baby. I am surprised at times that they don't comeout against adults sleeping in the same bed.

I am sorry I just hate to think of being in utero with someone since creation and then being in this great big area without anything to touch or feel anothers touch, how lonely that can be.

Molly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 11:54 AM

I've never heard of that. In fact, when my sister's baby was in the NICU and they put him to sleep on his stomach she asked about SIDS and they told her not to worry about that at all because of all of the monitors they had on him. The only issue I could see would be one twin disrupting the other twin's wires, but that isn't too much of a big deal.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#3 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I've never heard of that. In fact, when my sister's baby was in the NICU and they put him to sleep on his stomach she asked about SIDS and they told her not to worry about that at all because of all of the monitors they had on him. The only issue I could see would be one twin disrupting the other twin's wires, but that isn't too much of a big deal.
:

Our NICU doesn't co-bed twins while they're in intensive care because the risk of infection, but once they come out of the incubator most multiples spend all of their time in the same bed - that depends on their parents though, some don't like it.
#4 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bec View Post
:

Our NICU doesn't co-bed twins while they're in intensive care because the risk of infection, but once they come out of the incubator most multiples spend all of their time in the same bed - that depends on their parents though, some don't like it.
yes to this
#5 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Bec View Post
:

As soon as mine were stable, meaning off of c-pap, and billi lights they were in the same isolette, cleared of any infections that they might have had. By that time they were were feeder growers, although they techincally were still in the NICU. They were both still on O2, but that was never a real issue. Although mine both liked to pull the others nasal cannula, and feeding tubes out was the only trouble.

I had requested that they either 1) get the same nurse to take care of the both of them because I was very tired of calling at 3 am pumping time and only being able to talk to one of their nurses, because the other one was busy, and I was told to call back in 30 minutes, and sometimes I did and the nurse was still busy!! 2) that they be put in the same isolette asap that way the same nurse would have to take care of them both.

I am forever greatful that my NICU encouraged co-bedding of twins (mine still are co-bedding at almost 4 1/2) and kanagroo care as soon as possible.

Molly
#6 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 PM

I've never heard of that either. Our NICU doesn't co-bed simply because of the risk of infection.
#7 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 PM

My twins werent co-bed all the time while in the NICU, but they were together for a few hours everyday. This was the nurses and the doctors decision. I never came right out and asked, but I did make it known that I would like them together. And when my girls came home, they slept together, in the same crib for 10 months. And frankly, I wouldnt want it any other way....Now they are bigger and disturb each other, but they sleep in the same room, across from each other. And one cant sleep without the other in their too

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 16 Old 01-20-2008, 10:57 PM

Our NICU cobedded twins and even triples. Never saw more than that. Always had the same nurse,too.

My sister's twins slept in the same crib until they were too big, and then they had their own in the same room. She said they would wake in the mornings then rock in the cribs until they managed to get them pushed together, and then one would pull the other over into their crib.
#9 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 AM

Our Special Care did not co-bed the only set of twins I saw during our stay, but one was not as stable as the other. The girl had to be in the warming bed for longer, then the isolette for longer, due to bradys. Her brother did better and was moved up to an open crib faster.
#10 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

When I was admitted at 27 weeks in PTL, I was told my NICU didn't co-bed (I asked about it). When I had them at 29 weeks, they were not stable enough to co-bed anyway - Lilly was on CPAP, Kate was on a vent, both had PICC lines, etc. But about a month after they were born, I called for a normal check-in on my way out to do some errands, and they told me they were putting my girls together in the same isolette that afternoon. The nurse was nonchalant about it, but actually my girls were the first twins ever to co-bed in our NICU! (Closely followed a week later by their BFFs, a set of B/G twins we still play with all the time.) I read a lot of the research and talked to a lot of people about this and never ever heard anything indicating increased risk of SIDs. As others have stated, the only risk that they were really concerned about was infection. Well, infection and someone tugging at your cannula or NG tube, and in my girls' case, spooning up to you and sucking on the hair at the back of your head.

It honestly sounds to me like this particular Neo and/or his/her peers are scared of the idea and have misinterpreted or misremembered some data to support their POV.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#11 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Well, infection and someone tugging at your cannula or NG tube, and in my girls' case, spooning up to you and sucking on the hair at the back of your head.
Mine were famous for doing that!! They also seemed to not care of the pacifiers were gone, there was always someones hand to suck on to.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...0MDC/IMG21.jpg

Molly
#12 of 16 Old 01-21-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyD View Post
Although mine both liked to pull the others nasal cannula, and feeding tubes out was the only trouble.
When we were in SCN there was a set of b/g twins who were co-beded and often liked to suck on each others hands
#13 of 16 Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
Well, infection and someone tugging at your cannula or NG tube, and in my girls' case, spooning up to you and sucking on the hair at the back of your head.
LOL...Mine did that, too, once they were out of the NICU. It always cracked me up.

Our NICU let my girls co-bed after they were both off ventilators and bili lights. I just went in there one day, and there was ONE bed with two babies, instead of two isolettes. It took me a minute to realize what was happening (still on hydrocodone, you know!).
#14 of 16 Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 AM

The twins in our NICU were allowed to co-bed once they graduated to feeder-grower. Some were allowed to co-bed if they were just on a nasal canula. I saw several preemies graduate to co-bedding, and all of us always cried when we saw two babes be reunited, it was always so sweet to see.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#15 of 16 Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 AM

The stance of NICU nurses and physicians has changed since my triplets were co-bedded in the NICU 4 years ago. I heard about this from a new triplet mom and did a little research. The official statement is something to the effect that there is not enough conclusive evidence that the benefits of multiples co-sleeping are greater than the risk of SIDS so it is no longer being recommended. You can read the entire position statement from the National Association of Neonatal Nurses at http://www.nann.org/files/public/Co-beddingPosition.pdf

Personally, I think it is a load of crap (can I say that here??). There is plenty of evidence to support cobedding of multiples and I am not aware of any reported SIDS deaths while cobedding. That said, once our boys were home (co-bedding) and too big/active to be swaddled for sleeping I placed wedges between them just in case...

Danielle
http://mooreboysrus.blogspot.com/
#16 of 16 Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyD View Post
I was hoping that someone here has heard of this or might know anything about it or at the very least direct me in the right direction.

Our NICU was very big on co-bedding twins as soon as they were stable. I know that alot research has shown that they tend to do better when preemies are co-bedded.
Recently someone told me that the research has shown that there is a increase rate of SIDS for co-bedded twins, and that at their NICU, the neonatologist has said that is the reason that they don't co-bed twins anymore, when hers were in the NICU. Of course that doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the NICU where they are mointered 24/7.

I am honestly thinking part of it is the medical fields total paranoia about having another person, or even thing sleeping with a baby. I am surprised at times that they don't comeout against adults sleeping in the same bed.

I am sorry I just hate to think of being in utero with someone since creation and then being in this great big area without anything to touch or feel anothers touch, how lonely that can be.

Molly
We don't co-bed in our NICU but it has nothing to do with SIDS (duh! hey are on monitors until discharge) but the directors feel the research shows an increased infection risk. SO we don't routinely do it.

Once babies are stable and not infected, we let them come together for brief periods like photos, for mom to hold both together, for mom to try to tandem nurse etc. But as a general rule they have seperate beds.

We have isolettes that are designed to hold and monitor two babies at the same time but we never use that function.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page