gift ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a friend of mine gave birth to a 27 weeker on March 10. he has had serious medical issues since before he was born (she had PPROM at 19 weeks, partial placental apbruption, and a subchorionic bleed) i want to get them a gift to let them know that we are thinking about them. they live in Toronto and we live in Alberta. does anyone have any ideas about what to give them?

Mummy to dd (Jan 13, '07) born by emergency c-section at 35 weeks due to severe pre-e  :ribboncesarean.gif and ds (Jan 30 '09) :hbac.gif and stork-suprise.gif    (06/11)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-24-2008, 12:58 AM

Really, I think the fact that you are thinking of them and letting them know it is the most critical thing. If you want to send a token, a couple things come to mind:

- a really soft, non-itchy shawl for mom (NICUs can be oddly chilly)
- a really soft blanket that they can use over the incubator for now and for kangaroo care once they can hold baby (even if they have one already, they fallon the ground and have to be washed)
- a bunch of mindless magazines for them to read while they can't be in with him or she is pumping (I'd normally never read stuff like People, but they were excellent escapism)
- a gift certificate to a nearby hotel (I can tell you which is the closest) so they can spend a couple days closer than going home each night

HTH!

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#3 of 6 Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

check out the sticky posts at the top for some ideas.

Congrats to your friend!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 12:01 AM

You can take a photo of her and her kid, and turn it into a beautifuol painting with the help of PaintedSouvenirs. I think she will be absolutely thrilled. I did that for a friend of mine and she was very excited. This is really a gift to remember.
#5 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 AM

One of my favorite gifts was a little plaster kit for footprints. I assume maybe it came from a craft shop. One of the nurses helped us do the footprints in the NICU.

Blogging at http://chronicladybug.blogspot.com

#6 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Prayer!

Our daughter decided to come at 28 weeks 6 days. She was healthy all things considered but needed to grow and learn to feed. I know we had many prayers that helped us through it all. As far as material gifts go, I know our hands were chapped pretty bad after all the sanitizing and hand washing we did so maybe a really good hand lotion would be a good idea. If they are coffee drinkers then their favorite coffee will be good to have on hand. Snacks for their visits would also come in handy. Hope their time in the NICU passes as smoothly as possible. The alarms and environment can be pretty intimidating at first but the nurses we encountered were all very considerate and helpful.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page