babywearing a preemie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2008, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys!
Well we are still in the NICU (over 100 days) but the end is in sight!! I want to wear my baby when we get home. He will be on oxygen and a monitor, but I don't want to use that as an excuse to leave him in a crib all day!! So, what are good carriers for a preemie at 43ish weeks gestational age? I have a kozy and am getting another mei tai type carrier as a gift. Any thoughts or experience with this? I did post in babywearing also!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 04:30 PM

i used my moby d with my girls! it worked wonderfully!

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08
Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 PM

We used a Moby too. Erin loved it and I liked how secure she felt in it. I also liked that I could tuck her head in if we were out on walks and nobody could see her let alone touch her.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM

Another vote for the Moby wrap. It was the only carrier that held her floppy little body securely enough for me (and her). She was upright in the tummy to tummy position.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Ring slings I have some pics of my most recent preemie in one on the link in my siggie... She is still in the NICU but I BW when Im at the hospital.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:52 AM

MOBY!!!!!!! DS loved it. I also used a pouch sling with a folded up towel in the bottomto keep his head from slumping down.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Old 06-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Hi there. I have had a micro and a 2 other preemies. We actually are planning a NICU parent meeting to teach babywearing in the NICU.

With my micro I got a ring sling that was designed for preemies, narrower and shorter. It is WAHM made I would be happy to give you her info if you like.

I used the upright tummy to tummy position in the sling until she was good with a's and b's.

I did not have a good experience with the MOBY until she was a good 5 lbs or so. Too much fabric for me.

I have liked mei tais, again designed for preemies. Smaller body panel with a minky or silk lining to be gentle soft on their skin.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll add another vote for the Moby wrap. My DS was 4.5 pounds when he was released from the NICU, and the Moby was the only carrier he felt secure (to me) in. We also had a hotsling and a ring ling, and I didn't like either as well as the wrap.

He was born and in the NICU out of state, so we had to fly him home after his release. He spent the whole trip tucked into the Moby, and it was surprisingly easy.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:34 PM

I had two new natives. LOVED them. I even had Maggie on O2 in them. I would sling the O2 over my other shoulder. She lived in that until she was about 14 mos old and refused to be carried because she had other ideas.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 PM

We had a Moby style wrap too - it was great for skin to skin with both me and DH.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:48 PM

My son loved the moby too!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM

We loved the moby with our son who was 5 lb 8 oz when we took him home. I would wear up upright in the moby, snuggled against my chest, almost all the time. He slept really well and it was dark and cozy enough in there that he did not get too overstimluated.

Also, the moby works pretty well with just a nursing tank top, almost looks like a cool shirt. Sort of kangaroo care on the go.

You will get alot of attention from people wondering what in the world you have in your shirt when you go out with a tiny baby, though!
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
with both my preemies i used ring slings. my first preemie was on an apnea monitor so that made it a lot easier to carry her and the monitor, even in stores. they really liked being upright chest to chest like kangaroo care almost. and it really helped with my last preemie's reflux. still does.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM

another vote for the moby
i also have an otsbh that i didnt like with my first ds
trying to make it work with htis one. it does well, just not for nursing.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

So far I am using the Moby, but having a tough time getting it tight enough...but it is working okay. I also use a mei tai and it works well too! I ordered a hotsling because the cradle position is good for his posture.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The trick with the moby is to get it really tight when you first time it on, tighter then you want it to be. It loosens as you wear it due to the fabric so if you tie it on how you want it, then within minutes it will be too loose.

I actually just found this pic last night of DD2. http://picasaweb.google.com/PeonyMam...00729474656018 She was much bigger then your DS here, but she loved this position when she got strong enough to keep her head up. You can easily do this with the Moby.

Good luck!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM

We also had a moby and MAggie liked it facing forward at a later age.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Here's a pic I found of us:

http://picasaweb.google.com/uvagirl/...39353672428802

He was about 3.5 weeks old at that point, I wish I had some of our other pics uploaded.

User Tag List