Constipation??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that the Reglan is no longer working, poor little Hayden is so constipated he screams when he expels gas or tries to poo.

With my other son we added Karo Syrup to his formula and it moved him right along and he had no problems.

I have tried the same with Hayden but it does not seem to be helping at all, we are up to a tablespoon and a half.

Anyone have any ideas as to get Hayden going????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Have you tried infant massage? We went through this, and unfortunately, Callie never got over it until we completely eliminated formula. I took an infant massage class at the hospital and there are a couple of techniques you can try. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Another thing I did was to take her into a warm bath with me. It got messy once, but heck, I'll deal with that in order to give my babe some comfort.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:43 PM

When my daughter was constipated (record: 17 days, no poo), I gave her half an ounce of prune juice cut with half an ounce of water. It worked, though sometimes it took a couple of days to have an effect.

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:02 AM

Maggie was constipated as well for the first 6 weeks or so she was home. I feel it was that extra formula they wanted us to supplement with myself. I literally gave her a suppostory and would let her Lie in a large diaper and she would just let it all out. It was pretty gross but she would feel better. After she got a bit bigger and was using those muscles down there, it went away. But I feel your pain!!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 08-13-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hayden was a good poo'er prior to the Reglan not working anymore. While on breast milk in the NICU they called him the poop shooter lol. So anyway, I called the Dr. and they said to put 1 teaspoon of dark corn syrup per bottle. He eats between 3.5 - 4 oz at a time so it seemed like it was alot but i guess we see how it goes
Old 08-14-2008, 06:37 PM

with my preemie i ended up having to use glycerin suppositories. The ped had me doing them every 3 days(when there was no movement) for about 3 months, and then he started going on his own.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:28 AM

Rectal stimulation works well

They used a q-tip (with glycerin on it) on Ezra while he was in the hospital. It got him going right away.

Karo syrup, like honey, can transmit botulism, the chances are remote but there are safer methods.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
Rectal stimulation works well

They used a q-tip (with glycerin on it) on Ezra while he was in the hospital. It got him going right away.

Karo syrup, like honey, can transmit botulism, the chances are remote but there are safer methods.

Actually I called the Ped and asked what i could do and they recommended 1 tsp of Dark Corn Syrup per bottle.

It doesn't seem to be working at all so we will be calling the ped again in the morning.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:24 PM

It is so awful to see how much pain they are in when they can't poo! Caleb had a huge problem with it. We were told to try a little bit of apple juice and water, but it didn't work. Our dr then said to try prune juice and water. Caleb wouldn't drink it out of the bottle! He was disgusted, which was a little humorous. I finally took a dropper and successfully fed him 1/2 ounce prune and 1/2 ounce water mixed together. It took FOREVER, but it worked for him. After that I decided not to supplement with any formula, and he hasn't had any problems since. We did do infant massage too. He really enjoyed the motions on his belly!

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:01 AM

I am also going thru this right now. The dr told me to use suppositories. In the NICU they didnt want to use them too often or he would come dependant on them. I was waiting two days with no movement. This is when he would be in so much pain the would not stop screaming. He is a 25 week premie, and is now almost 4 months. I am now using Karo syrup. I just started today. It is suppose to take a few days to start working so we will see...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:07 AM

Erin's always been constipated Usually I can give her an oz of fruit juice and she's good but on occasion we've had to use the glycerine sups. Not the nicest thing to have to do but boy did she feel better afterwards.

User Tag List