Vaccinating older siblings to protect premie? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-20-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 19 weeks pregnant with our third son and at high-risk to deliver prematurely. We have two older boys who will be about 2 and 4 when the baby is due.

My question is whether any of you have considered doing something different as far as vaccines for your older kids when you knew you had a premie on the way?

With our older son, we vaccinated him slowly and avoided several vaccines like chicken pox. With our younger son, we have barely started with vaccines. He was a premie and has been sick very frequently.

I will do everything I can to breastfeed our third son, but the older boys will be in school or daycare (church and the gym) 6-10 hours a week. Also, in our circle of friends there are many families that do not vaccinate so we can't count on herd immunity. If we were not having another child, I think I would not go back and vaccinate our younger son for the diseases that are mostly a big deal that first year. But knowing that we will have a little baby in the house this year, I'm wondering if we should go back and catch up.

We would also like to be able to spread out vaccines for the new baby, but that means we need to get through his first winter. Thoughts?
#2 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 12:20 PM

I'm not but my situation is a bit different in that my unvaxed child also has very little contact with anyone outside our immediate family. I'm not sure what I'd do if she were in daycare or just around lots of other people all the time. My older 2 are already vaccinated so I dont need to worry about them as much (although I never really trust vaxes-my ds was fully vaxed on schedule and has had pertussis twice, heh). My almost 3 year old is the only in our family not vaxed at all yet and we are still sticking to our original plan even though we have a preemie.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#3 of 8 Old 08-21-2008, 11:31 PM

Hi,

None of my kids were vax'ed. My eldest was in kindergarten when my youngest came home from the NICU. My eldest caught quite a few colds and various other bugs and they ran their course through our family. I think my youngest even had RSV at one point BUT she had received the shot so it wasn't so bad. The biggest threat to my micro was having to take her to so many Drs. She ALWAYS caught infections from Drs offices

We homeschool now and we didn't get a single cold this past winter. I am happy w/my decision not to vax.

mum to 3, 8 yo dd: 6yo ds and 4yo dd
#4 of 8 Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 PM

I'd encourage you to visit the vax forum and look up threads on herd immunity. The short answer is you wouldn't be able to count on it anyway for most vaxes. It basically only applies to the live virus vaxes like MMR and chicken pox. It does not apply to DTap, or inactivated polio. Here's a good article with more details.

We stopped vaxing 2 years ago, when our oldest was 2, and our second was 6 months. We don't plan to vax any of the kids any time soon. Technically, we consider ourselves selective and delayed vaxers, we just haven't selected any yet! But in answer to your question, no, having a preemie hasn't changed that for us.
#5 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's time to make our plan. The 18 month check up is next week...

I think we'll go ahead and vaccinate our toddler for the things that could be the most dangerous to the baby, but wait on things that they are unlikely to catch and bring home. I think that means yes on DTaP, Rotavirus, Pc, HIB and the flu vaccine for this year. Since DS is 18 months and our time is limited, we'll probably do 2 at a time only when he's healthy so that he has at least 1 dose of each by October.

We'll see how that goes over the the new doc!

No for now on MMR, chicken pox, hep a and hep b.
#6 of 8 Old 09-01-2008, 04:02 PM

DTap does NOT prevent carriage. It will not prevent your toddler from passing along pertussis to the baby. Please read the article I posted above.
#7 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Our oldest had pertussis and it usually goes around here. This is one that we do vaccinate for...
#8 of 8 Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
My question is whether any of you have considered doing something different as far as vaccines for your older kids when you knew you had a premie on the way?
NO. Consider the fact that my DH was terminally ill with cancer - I was warned by the oncologists to keep recently vaccinated children away from him since his immune system was so weak and compromised that he could catch something from a child who just recently had been inoculated with a live vaccine (MMR and the flu), and could pass it on to him and hasten his demise.

Recently vaxed children are the carriers, not unvaxed children.

This is one of many incidents that made me very happy that I never vaxed my children; I am glad my DH agreed with me.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page