Holy @#$% Pediasure is expensive! A few questions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS2 is very low weight, he was born term (but on the small side @ 6lbs 4 ozs) and then had heart surgery @ 2 weeks. Now he's coming up on 15 mos and weighs 17 lbs 13 ozs. He's off the chart pretty far in the "bad" direction. We've tried everything else for months; increasing solids, increasing fatty foods, nursing a billion times a day and night - his weight stays about the same. He's fallen off his own curve too, he's barely on a curve it is more of a plateau.

Sooo, I'm strongly considering trying pediasure. I feel like I need to at least try it. We meet with a nutrtionist next month for suggestions/possible tests. His iron was low but increased with diet changes so I don't think it is a malabsorbtion issue. But OMG, Pediasure is expensive! How do you mamas do it? How many bottles do you use per day? A small pack was $13 in our local store. Do you give it straight or mix it with anything? Do you use it as the only drink and cut out all other water/juice? DS2 still nurses pretty often. Any suggestions?

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#2 of 16 Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 PM

My almost-5 year old has to use pediasure due to anemia and being underweight. We use the generic kind (The Meijer version is under $7 for 6 bottles). He gets 1 a day unless he wants more, but it's only in ADDITION to his other drinks/foods--not to replace them. (Our goal is to get him to gain weight so we can't remove his other foods, etc.) We do not mix it with anything--straight up from the bottle every morning.

I believe Carnation Instant Breakfast is also pretty similar, especially if you use it with whole milk.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 16 Old 08-21-2008, 05:35 PM

Have you thought about food intolerances maybe? They can stall weight. Wal-Mart (or just about everywhere) has generic pediasure for less. We try to get Evan to drink it, but it doesn't normally work. It works better if I color it though. Do you get WIC? I think they cover it as do some insurances. I would ask.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#4 of 16 Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

We don't have WIC but maybe I'll apply again to see if we can get it (we had it last year). I have an Evan too!

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#5 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 12:21 AM

Call and ask about WIC covering it. It won't in my state- not even with a script. Nor will the insurance.

I get ours at Sam's club. $35 for 24 bottles. My tiny *almost* 3yo girl still drinks 2 bottles of it a day in addition to probably another 1000 calories of regular food. She also has trouble gaining.

eta: I am allowed to mix it with milk (goats since she has some sort of dairy intolerance) and I replace juice with the pediasure. So she basically drinks 16ozs of pediasure, 4-6ozs of juice, and all of the water she likes.

Jusat an FYI... I "affectionately" call pediasure Baby Crack. My girl is really addicted to it She seems to need it kinda like I need that first cup of caffeine in the morning...
#6 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've heard that it does have a fair amount of sugar, but I just cannot find a low sugar alternative that packs as many calories. I'm going to give it a try. His weight is really low and has become a cause for constant concern with his doctors.

#7 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM

Hav eyou been using oil in everything? We used to put it in everything we could, soup, applesauce, kethcup, and for AJ we mixed it in his rice milk even w/ rice protein powder.

#8 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM

My older ds isnt a preemie, he's 8 and was full term, but he takes meds that affect his diet and is VERY skinny and has had a lot of issues with losing weight off and on. Someone on MDC suggested I try Carnation Instant Breakfast instead so I looked into it and the nutritional componants are almost the same. He actually gets a little bit more calorie wise with this versus Pediasure-but I mix it with whole milk so I dunno if that'd work anyway. Anywho-just a suggestion, its a lot cheaper than Pediasure, but if you can find someplace to get it at a big discount, I'd probably stick to Pediasure (esp at his age-my ds is much older so it doesnt bug me as much.).

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#9 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM

Ds1 had a similar growth pattern and weight. Gained normally and well until around 9-12 months (about 17lbs) and then started to plateau, didn't hit 20lbs until he was 21 months. We did all kinds of testing and they gave me information about "your child isn't gaining enough weight" food suggestions. This included recommendations to give him ice cream, sweetened condensed milk, Carnation instant breakfast, fried foods. I paid more attention to his healthy fats but nothing drastic and he started back on the "curve" by the time we had his 2 yr visit. I think he just became active with crawling and walking and leveled out a bit. Ds2 was 2lbs when born, has never gained weight well or consistently and still hasn't made it onto the charts, although he's getting closer He's 21lbs at 2 years. For him I just made an extra effort to give high fat foods like avocado and coconut milk and added butter and coconut oil to anything I could. I often made him pumpkin pudding which is just 1/2 can coconut milk (not lite) with a can of pumpkin a little bit of molasses for sweetening (and iron) and pumpkin pie spices. It's really yummy.

Looking at the ingredients in Pediasure I'm not sure that there's anything there that you can't duplicate for less money yourself and without all the extra unnecessary additives. Here are the ingredients for Pediasure vanilla. It's basically water, sugar, casein and whey powder (milk) for protein, safflower and soy oil, medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) (which, incidentally, are found abundantly in coconut oil). Otherwise the rest is pretty much vitamins/minerals and thickeners. You could give whole milk (8 grams of fat instead of the 9g in Pediasure) or use the coconut milk which has 10g per 2oz, or about 35-40g per cup! Yikes, I might need to cut back a little myself With the money you'd be saving by not buying the Pediasure you could get a high quality vitamin if that's a concern. I give my boys [url+http://store.druckerlabs.com/intraKIDinfo_s/119.htm]IntraMaxKids[/url] and they only need about a teaspoon so it lasts a really long time. I take the adult version and can tell a huge difference when I'm not taking it. Otherwise I would spend the $ on it. Anyway, just thought I'd pass along some other ideas. HTH
#10 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
sweetened condensed milk
I wish someone would tell me to eat this! Am I weird for really liking that stuff? Yum!

We used Jell-O instant vanilla pudding (any would work, but this is dairy free so we used this one) w/ a can of lite coconut milk and a little extra rice milk and made a yummy, fattening pudding! My kids never dug it much, but I sure did. It might be worth a try or use some coconut oil. I have a friend who spreads that on toast like butter.

I have that Jessica Seinfeld cookbook too and it has a great recipe for making chocolate pudding using avacados. Again, my kids aren't pudding eaters, but I this is super yummy and better for you than normal pudding. You could even add some olive oil I bet to thin it out and add even more fat.

#11 of 16 Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 PM

My daughter is tube-fed pediasure. We get a prescription through her doctor and it's covered under insurance. Makes the price tag a bit easier to swallow.
#12 of 16 Old 08-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Yeah I've heard that it does have a fair amount of sugar, but I just cannot find a low sugar alternative that packs as many calories. I'm going to give it a try. His weight is really low and has become a cause for constant concern with his doctors.
If it makes you feel any better my almost three year old has been drinking pediasure since she was 8 months old and she loves fruits and vegetables. Of course part of the problem is that most fresh fruits and veggies don't have a lot of calories and since she is still a picky eater she will lose weight like crazy if she doesn't drink at least one can a day. Her weight bounces between 18-20 lbs depending on how much solid food I can get her to eat. I get pediasure at Walmart or Sam's. She will sometimes drink CIB, but for some reason she doesn't really like it. I think it tastes better then pediasure.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#13 of 16 Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 PM

Have you asked your doctor about benecalorie?

It's might be possible to get your insurance to pay for that. My son is on Pediasure, but he's tube fed so our insurance covers it because he receives more than 50% of his calories through a tube.
#14 of 16 Old 09-03-2008, 02:41 AM

can kids have boost or ensure? They are deffinately made by the same company, but the adult versions have 25% based on a 2000 cal/day diet, whereas the pedi version is more varied as to it's %ages(10-40) on the vitamin/mineral levels.
Also, there's a sugar free version of the adult stuff, Glucerna... which has its own fallbacks (artificial sugar substitutes).
While the adult versions don't come in banana (yum) they do cost about 30% less: 6.97 vs 9.97 at walmart (and come in butter pecan).
#15 of 16 Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I've been using the Winn-Dixie brand and making a mix of half pediasure and half coconut milk (thanks for the suggestion!). Coconut milk has way more fat and is only $1.19 per can. DS seems to like this mixture a LOT. I've been joking that he's having baby pina coladas!

#16 of 16 Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM

My almost 2 year old was on pediasure for about 6 mos because of his (non-existant) growth. I wound up buying wal-mart's generic brand because it was so much cheaper (I think it was $8-9 for a 6 pack) and he'd have 2 cans a day. After about 3 mos, I switched to half pediasure and half coconut milk, and that worked very well for us, also

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page