I don't care 4 6.45%
Other (there always has to be an other) 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
as a former nicu mama now SN mama, I just don't think it fits. can't explain it exactly, but it feels wrong. I think it would've freaked me out a little while DD was in the nicu before I knew she was a SN kiddo.

sort of OT-
Quote:
If one of my children, right now at 2.5 years old, got sick and was in the hospital for 9 weeks (the same length as their NICU stay) but was not going to require ongoing treatment, it wouldn't occur to me to look on the special needs board.
Quote:
in other words, a mother who has a child with a significant amount of adaptive equipment might take offense at me naming my largely normal child special needs because most of his 'special' needs will go away at some point in the future.
it's too bad, and I'm not picking on either of you, but I often see threads in TAO or Toddlers with questions about a child going in for surgery or wondering if they need therapy and I always think, post in the SN forum!!! because there are SO many knowledgeable parents there who have seen it all and can give the best advice. a child does NOT have to have permanent disability to "qualify" for the SN forum- basically ANY degree of delay, medical care, or issues requiring therapy are totally appropriate for the SN forum. Whether it's transient or not- it doesn't have to be a permanent condition or lifelong diagnosis, at all.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#32 of 34 Old 09-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1972 View Post
In other words, a mother who has a child with a significant amount of adaptive equipment might take offense at me naming my largely normal child special needs because most of his 'special' needs will go away at some point in the future. Does that make sense?

SN Parenting has been my home here at MDC, and I have never seen anyone take umbrage for someone using the term SN. If you feel your child has extra needs, then you are welcome there.
#33 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 11:01 AM

This has been a really interesting discussion, and I am glad I learned a little more about the SN board through it. Now I'm wondering if any sort of action is going to come out of this? It's really frustrating to have this board remain buried the way it is.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#34 of 34 Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I voted "other" for "Ages and Stages" as its own subforum there, right "before" LWAB. Preemies ARE technically babies, but they're Very Early babies and discussing your preemie baby is a little different than discussing your 6 month old.
I voted other too. I absolutely agree that if it is not visible moms are not going to be able to find it when they need it the most. I have visited before and knew it was here but still had a hard time locating it now, I thought it might have been eliminated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page