Saw on TV - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just watched a tv show on TLC, It was about the Healy family whom had something like 11 children plus a set of preemie twins in the NICU.

This was the first time my 7 year old saw stuff about the NICU. I did my very best to shelter him from seeing the baby with the machines and such.
I am an adult and had a hard time handling it most days. He seemed to take it better than I thought he would.

After explaining what all the machines Hayden was on and how small he was when he was born and answering all his questions. I had to have mommy time out, I went in my bedroom closed the door and burst into tears.
It wasn't that long ago and I didn't think it'd have this much of an affect on me.

Anyone else ever done this?

I am so thankful for little man being home and only dealing with reflux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftinyhayden View Post
I just watched a tv show on TLC, It was about the Healy family whom had something like 11 children plus a set of preemie twins in the NICU.

This was the first time my 7 year old saw stuff about the NICU. I did my very best to shelter him from seeing the baby with the machines and such.
I am an adult and had a hard time handling it most days. He seemed to take it better than I thought he would.

After explaining what all the machines Hayden was on and how small he was when he was born and answering all his questions. I had to have mommy time out, I went in my bedroom closed the door and burst into tears.
It wasn't that long ago and I didn't think it'd have this much of an affect on me.

Anyone else ever done this?

I am so thankful for little man being home and only dealing with reflux
I "know" Siobhan online (met her on twins board when i was expecting my twins) and i cried watching the show the first time when they showed one of them having his heart surgery. i just couldnt imagine watching it done to my baby

Monday i watched Jon and Kate plus 8 and it was about her "labor day" when she had her sextuplets and i just sobbed, the memories or being in the hospital on bedrest, willing myself one more day as each day passed. It just brought back so many memories for me.

Just when ya think youre over it, ya know? My wins are almost 22 months olds and i dont think ill ever really be over it.
#3 of 9 Old 09-05-2008, 04:41 PM

I started watching that documentary, knowing nothing about what was going to happen. When we hit the NICU, I had to turn it off - I couldn't take it. This was probably a year ago. Stuff like that happens to me all the time, 2.5 years out.

As for the girls, they are too young to understand it, but they've seen pictures of themselves on CPAP and vent (well, just Katie for the vent) and with the nasal cannula. Considering Kate was on a cannula until she was almost 6 months old, it would be really hard to avoid that even if we wanted to. I always felt like this was their experience, so I wanted to present it to them in as normal a way possible, so that later on when they can understand the impact of it, it won't be so shocking. Who knows if that is true. They know that they were the tiniest little babies I ever knew, but probably every little toddler thinks of babies as tiny, so I don't think they "get" that at this point.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#4 of 9 Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 AM

I don't know when if ever I'll be able to handle that w/o getting emotional. I watched a recent Jon & Kate plus 8 and she took the kids back to the hospital and NICU, she was very emotional, and I cried the entire time.
#5 of 9 Old 09-11-2008, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

It is emotional I agree. It was especially hard when you have other children as well as your little one in the NICU. I only have 1 other child but it was hard because for the 2 weeks before hayden was born i was in the hospital myself and then had the baby early, my older son ended up going to stay with my sister in another state. The closest hospital that could handle preemies is 4 hours away so there was no way i could travel between the hospital and home.. not with gas prices as high as they are.
Noah is 7, he doesn't understand alot of what went on with his baby brother in the NICU but he asks questions such as, was I little when I was born. He likes to see how things are same and different between when he was a baby and Hayden.
#6 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 03:06 AM

I have to deal with it everyday. My 27 weeker has a trach, ventilator, oxygen, feeding tube and tons of leftover NICU crap... We never really left the NICU, we just brought it home with me and I say that very seriously. We have an entire ICU set up in my sons bedroom, including a nurse. There is no way I can shelter my older son from seeing it so I just have to suck it up.. For me, life goes on.. The NICU was tough, but life after the NICU has been much worse with my son (27 weeker). I have 3 children, all preemies (29, 27, 26).. My most recent a 26 weeker and one of the hardest things with her was having to take my 27 weeker (now 3.5, still on ventilator, etc) to the NICU with me to visit her..
#7 of 9 Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 PM

I belong to site where Sioban Healy is a member of. She is a very nice lady. They did the show b/c she has 13 (I believe) children and 3 sets of twins (naturally occuring) I remember watching that show and crying as well. I guess I just try to think of it as how lucky my twins were. They were born at 30 weeks and mostly feeders/growers. While they still had feeding tubes for a little while and apnea and brady attacks, I know it could have been much worse. I am definately more emotional now when I watch shows like that but I can watch them. The first year of my twins' life, I couldn't watch without bursting into tears nor could I watch a full term baby be born (TLC's baby story) without feeling extreme anger.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#8 of 9 Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 AM

YEs. a few months after we brought Maggie home, there was a thing on the local news about our nicu and the baby shown actaully was a family from our town that we knew. It was very hard seeing our nicu and the "sounds" if you get my drift plus the parents wearing their bracelets to get into the nicu was hard. DH went upstairs and I heard him sobbing but he didnt want our older dd to see him.

Almost 3 years later its still hard and we dont like to watch nicus on shows etc. Also the practice is having the main character this year be a "world class neo" and we saw the previews. DH grumbled "I wonder how much of that they are going to ..... up.". But its easier to talk to other families going thru it and answering questions etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 9 Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM

What a timely thread for our family. For our screen saver we have pics of Izaac from the day he was born onward. Its one of the methods we use to keep him aware of all the members of his family. (DH's family lives several provinces away) Izaac often glances up at the monitor while he is playing and now that he is 31 months, often comments on the pic displayed.

ie "Look...there is me and Opa!"

A few weeks ago he noticed a pic of him with his NG tube. He said "That's when the doctors took care of me." Something about the statement struck such a chord. I dunno if it was the plain fact that the doctors DID take care of him when we so desperately wanted to take care of him. Or that I realized that the little, tiny prem turned into such a quick witted, healthy boy...and the gratefulness overwhelmed me.

Mama to "The Pud" - 4 years.
We both have todder onset Charcot Marie Tooth 1A.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page