I wish our hospital did it - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-03-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was surfing the site a bit ago and found a mom had mentioned donating breast milk. I wish our hospital participated in such a program. I had asked about it but they said they didn't do it due to the health risks and such to the babies receiving the milk.

I have found about 80 websites where you can donate the milk. I wish i would of had internet access while Hayden was in the hospital.

I expressed enough breast milk for Hayden, and probably about 12 other babies for at least 6 months. I had so much in the deep freezer at the hospital they had part of it in the NICU freezer and part of it in the freezer for the intermediate unit freezer.
In 7 days I expressed about 180 ounces of milk. And because the hospital doesn't participate in bm donation and my living 4 hours away from our hospital it all got tossed . It all would of been thawed out and had to be tossed before getting home even by putting it in a cooler with ice. Our hospital is not exactly helpful when it comes to stuff like that. It's sad, so many other babies might of benefited from it.
#2 of 2 Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember pumping colostrum and milk before our baby was allowed to breastfeed. He ended up going straight to the breast without difficulty, but I felt terrible throwing away all of the "liquid gold" when there were other moms and babies in the nicu who could have totally used it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page