36 weeker - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i had a 36 weeker, she is almost 3 weeks old, still sleeps alot, well not of course when i want to LOL

seems so unlike most babies, hardly awake, not that alert, any of this normal?

also corrected ages aren't used for 36 are they?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Our son was born at 35 and 5, so pretty close to 36 weeks. He was very sleepy the first month or so. As long as your daughter is alert enough to eat and grow - even if you need to make an effort to wake her up to eat - she is probably fine. Little babies get tired easily and sleep alot. I'd pay attention to other things to make sure all is well (peeing and pooping, skin color, are there brief times she is alert and looking around if only for a minute, does she look at your face, etc) and if you are worried, call your doctor.

We've found that sometimes we didn't need to use our son's adjusted age for him to fit in the normal developmental ranges, but other times it made sense.

He seemed to develop according to his age for fine motor, visual, and language milestones, but lagged behind a little on growth and gross motor things like rolling, sitting, crawling and walking. He was in the normal range for these if we looked at his adjusted age, however.

I believe that there is a significant difference between a 36 weeker and a full-term baby. The baby develops a lot of strength and grows a lot in those final weeks in mommy, and while most 35-36 weekers do very well, there are some noticable differences the first year or so.

Our 35w son is now 18 months. The only differences I can see at this point are that he is smaller than his peers (under the 5th percentile) and that he gets sick very easily.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:15 PM

DD was 35 and 4 days. She was very sleepy the first month too. She had a very brief alert period first thing in the morning and right before her bedtime at night. I woke her to eat during the day because I was concerned she wasn't eating enough. She is more alert now at 2 months of age and I no longer have to wake her to eat.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:36 AM

I had a 36 weeker and we used his adjusted age for about a year. He was 36 weeks to the day by scan dating, (but imo maybe a bit under that!?).

I had to wake him to nurse about every 15 mins for around 3 months. LOL. It might not have been quite that often, but it's not far off. The jaundice took 3 months to clear up, and after that things improved. He had tests on his liver function etc and all came back fine, but you may want to get that checked out, ( am fairly sure health professionals will be looking out for that anyway?) He's the only child of mine who had vit K, ( under pressure), and I wonder if this was part of the difficulty anyway.

He also didn't smile for 3 months - which I found very, very difficult to deal with tbh. I would look at him and be waiting for the light to dawn at his window eyes if that makes sense. Poor baby didn't have so many smiles from me coming his way though as I was quite depressed at that time.

So, it sounds normal, but do make sure she's not going too long without sips of milk. I intended for me to be my boy's incubator/ drip until he was past the first difficult months. We had one pointless supplemental (expressed b'milk down a tube), feed when we were readmitted for the bilibed, but otherwise mama drip by drip care was totally worth it.

Maybe take a look at kangaroomothercare.com

HUGS to you and congratulations

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

User Tag List