Mothering Forum banner

Babywearing a baby who needs oxygen

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tine1973 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I posted this in the babywearing forum and they suggested I ask you wise Mamas the same question.

My friend had her baby 3.5 months early, and they have been through a lot. Baby is home now on oxygen - and doing pretty well. Baby has good head control (2.5 months old corrected age) and loves to be carried, but Mom doesn't have a carrier. I was hoping to get her a wrap (or appropriate carrier). Before I do, I want to make sure I am not suggesting something that will be impossible for her to use.

Any moms here have experiences with wearing a baby who needs O2? I think baby also has to wear a monitor (pulse ox I think). Baby is just over 12 pounds now.

Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I didn't wear mine when she was still on O2, but that was more because she had a twin and I couldn't bring myself to wear one and leave the other lying around. But if she'd been a singleton, I think it would've been great to wear her, and not have as much to carry, with the pulse ox and tubing. I don't know any of the particulars, though. I would think if baby has good head control, and her airway isn't obstructed, it should be fine. Only thing I can think of as a problem is if her foot is squished, it could set off the pulse ox, which is just a PITA and happens all the time anyway.

#3 ·
My favorite carrier with a premie was our Moby Wrap.

We just bought a Beco carrier for our baby who's coming soon. I like this carrier a lot because it has an infant insert to keep a small baby secure and upright on mom or dad. It's also nice because you can get the baby in the carrier securely and then put the carrier on. It's a lot more comfortable than the bjorn carriers as most of the babies weight is on your hips.

#5 ·
I used the New NAtive and slung the monitor and O2 over my other shoulder. It worked well!

I highly recommend this or any wrap that works for the mama. We think it made a difference in Maggie' development because she stayed in the sling a lot.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peony View Post
http://picasaweb.google.com/PeonyMam...00729474656018

I either used this or a Moby.
Thank you - love the pic! I'll keep that in mind to share with my friend.

I ended up going with a Moby, and had it delivered to my friend yesterday, who is thrilled. Her immediate response to me was that she had always planned on babywearing, had can't wait now that she has a wrap. Thanks MDC Mamas!

#10 ·
You can any carrier.. Its all just about positioning the baby.

I wear two babies on monitors.. One is on a ventilator so its very possible with just oxygen and pulseox.. It is a little tougher especially with the pulseox and it being on "just so" in order to pick up but once its all figured out its just like wearing any other baby.

For my vent baby I did make my own MT with a little pocket type thing on the front of the body to hold his tubes...

Here is a close-up of the pocket to hold his tubes. In this picture he has on pulseox, oxygen, ventilator. He also has a feeding tube he has to "wear" so between all of them we usually have 7 tubes hanging down.

http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...nt=alotai2.jpg

So.. my suggestion? Whichever you think she will like best.. I tend to go for Ring Slings when the babies are young though.. But a MT is more forgiving with wires and stuff.

#11 ·
I loved the Moby Wrap, and ring slings. What I didn is throw the monitor and O2 in a backpack to make it easier to get around (even in the house). I worked pretty well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.