How did you get ready? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-13-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 22 weeks pregnant and I've been dealing with early contractions for 2 months. My son Micah was a 35 week premie, and whlie he spent a little while in the NICU, he was fine. Based on my cervical length and contractions, my doctor has given me a 75-85% chance of having another premie, possibly much earlier than Micah.

For any of you who knew you had a premie coming, how did you get ready?

Or after your premie was born, what did you do to get ready for your little one to get home?

How did you prepare your other children?

How did you prepare your home?

There's relatively litttle I can do as I'm on strict bed rest. But I am having a hard time taking steps towards another baby. I'm afraid he won't make it so I'm reluctant to order new things for the nursery. Our boys already love the baby in my tummy and I'm scared of how it will be if he is born very early and sick.

Maybe another way to put this is what do you wish you knew before you had a premie? What would you do differently?
#2 of 15 Old 09-13-2008, 01:56 PM

We had a diagnosis of amniotic band syndrome at 22 weeks gestation and had fetal surgery, so we also knew we were high risk for a preemie. He came at 28 weeks, 3 days not quite a month ago.

Quote:
For any of you who knew you had a premie coming, how did you get ready?
We bought the Sears' Premature Baby Book and read it cover to cover. We set up a tour of the NICU at our hospital (although we missed it because he was born two days before we were supposed to have the tour) and visited the L&D there too. We talked to our extended family about preemies and made sure they were prepared and knowledgable as well.

Quote:
Or after your premie was born, what did you do to get ready for your little one to get home?
We've been starting to clean/sanitize the house top to bottom. We're finishing up the nursery and making sure we have lots of support when he does come home (food, help cleaning house, etc). I'm also starting to train the older kids to wash their hands A MILLION TIMES A DAY. I'm usualy not a germaphobe, but bringing home Levi is going to turn me into one.
Quote:
How did you prepare your other children?
We talked to them about how he'd be in the hospital for a while so they can help him grow big and strong. Our 2 year old doesn't really get much of it anyway. The 8 year old and 18 year old understand enough about fetal development that we could explain it to them on that level (ie: he missed out on the last third of his in utero development, etc).

Quote:
How did you prepare your home?
We're still doing that now. Other than making sure it's uber clean, I'm not doing alot I didn't do for my other babies coming home.
#3 of 15 Old 09-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Honestly, I was in a very similar situation. On very strict bed rest.

What I actually did was almost nothing except pack my hospital bag when I hit 24 weeks. I made sure my camera was ready, too.

What I wish I would have done was order a few books about premature babies and the NICU, order a baby book geared specifically towards babies who spent time in the NICU, and shaved my legs

You are really limited by what you can do physically since you cannot get out of bed. And really, that's OK. The house cleaning, shopping for baby gear and clothes, ect. can wait until after the baby is born. A day of shopping for baby stuff is actually a nice stress reliever when the baby is still in the NICU- you get a chance to do something for *yourself* while not feeling so much guilt for taking that time away from the NICU. At least that's the way I felt :

I hope you keep your little one as long as it's safe and possible! Good luck!
#4 of 15 Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

After my ultrasound today, we got the news that baby is big enough to be "viable" - this means the doctors will do everything they can to save his life if he is born. Things are stable right now, so hopefully that will not be for at least a few more weeks...or hopefully months.

After being in and out of the hospital 3 times last week, I think I should go ahead and pack the hospital bag.

Thanks for the other suggestions!
#5 of 15 Old 09-17-2008, 01:02 AM

I just noticed that you are due in January! So was I (Jan '06 that is!).
#6 of 15 Old 09-17-2008, 05:21 PM

Since you're so early, please please please avoid the Dr Sears premature baby book. If you make it past 29 weeks, then read it. Otherwise it will freak you out how gloom and doom it is. His micro section is way way out of date.

Otherwise, keep your legs crossed and remember each day inside is even better for that baby. I am thinking of you.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 15 Old 09-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Since you're so early, please please please avoid the Dr Sears premature baby book. If you make it past 29 weeks, then read it. Otherwise it will freak you out how gloom and doom it is. His micro section is way way out of date.

Otherwise, keep your legs crossed and remember each day inside is even better for that baby. I am thinking of you.
I've heard this from others, though I've never read it. We relied on Preemies: The Essential Guide and found it very informative. I wish I'd have read it on bedrest, rather than what I was apparently reading, which was called "The Life and Times of a Bedresting Pregnant Lady in Deep Denial"

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#8 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGirlieMama View Post
I've heard this from others, though I've never read it. We relied on Preemies: The Essential Guide
This is the book I read and it was great. I ended up giving it to another mama on this board.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I think I'm just one of those "silver lining people" lol. We started reading it when I was about 24 or 25 weeks pregnant, not long after our surgery and I kept thinking, "2.5lb. Let's just get to 2.5lb." I don't think it scared me, and I did wind up having my baby before 29 weeks.
#10 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 10:23 AM

I hadn't heard of "Preemies" before. I just mooched it on bookmooch. I'm looking forward to reading it.
#11 of 15 Old 09-18-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
This is the book I read and it was great. I ended up giving it to another mama on this board.

I also loved this book. I've let several other preemie mamas borrow it, and they all found it very helpful.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#12 of 15 Old 09-21-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

We're going for it. Hope, I mean.

This has been a scary pregnancy, but as we approach having a baby who could survive if I do go into labor we're actually starting to get ready. I am 23 weeks pregnant and the baby is about 1 lb 5 oz and we keep making it one day at a time.

So today we sold our old crib and changing table on Craigslist and then bought the new one! It was fun, although maybe not so wise to go furniture shopping when I'm supposed to be on bed rest! We tried to keep me off my feet and I think we're okay.
#13 of 15 Old 10-02-2008, 01:56 AM

How are you doing?
#14 of 15 Old 10-03-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm 25 weeks pregnant today. Nothing has really changed. I am still on bed rest. I am still having contractions, but last week my cervix looked a little better so the doctors have lowered my medication a little. This way, if things get worse, they can increase the meds again. We're trying to find the right balance between stopping contractions and dangerous side effects for me and the baby.

I think there is still a very good chance we'll have a preemie, but it's looking increasingly like we can get to at least 28-30 weeks. At that point, the doctors will have to stop one of the meds I am on and unfortunately it is the one that is working to stop contractions for now.

Emotionally this is really hard. I've been on some sort of bed rest for more than 3 months and I've got hopefully 1-2 more ahead of me. Either I'll be on bed rest or our baby will be in the hospital through approximately Christmas! I am having a hard time with everything that is out of my control, especially around the house and with my kids.

My husband is exhausted because he is doing everything. I'm having a hard time not getting too frustrated with him when he doesn't do certain things that I want him to. This is honestly one of the hardest seasons for our marriage.
#15 of 15 Old 10-04-2008, 11:10 AM

I can totally relate to your hard time! Hugs and keep that baby in! Its so much easier to watch the world from your view right now than in the nicu. I know what is going thru your mind and give your DH a big hug and congratulate him on being such a great man! I remember watching my DH going thru this with my bedrest w DD1 and then the nicu w DD2. Even though as you said it was a hard season, it made me think so much more of my DH after all that. Pm me to talk if need be.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page