planning for a known NICU stay, help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds will have to stay in the NICU for at least two days, and hopefully no more than that. Reason being: I have been taking oxycodone (prescribed!!) for intense back pain caused from an injury that happened in Feb.... when I was about 10 weeks pregnant. I fell down the stairs and possibly fractured a rib and for sure have a herniated disc. That said.... this baby will most likely have some withdrawal symptoms and they have a "required" 48 hour observation period in the NICU so they can monitor and treat him if he does exhibit symptoms.

I also know I am having a c-section, that is planned for this Friday (due to a lot of scar tissue accumulated from uterine reconstructive surgery) They have told me that ds will be allowed to remain with me and nurse for the first few hours, then he will be taken to the NICU. I have no idea how long it will take before they let ME get up and go to him. DH will be going with him immediately and staying with him they entire time.

SO, what can I expect? Does anyone know how long it will take for me to be able to go to him? I have been assured that they will NOT give him bottles of anything... that he will be brought to me to nurse if I am unable to go to him... until I am able to stay in his room.

Has anyone been through something similair?
#2 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 10:21 PM

After my c-section, they wheeled me to see him on the way to my room. However, ds was wisked straight away b/c he was having breathing issues.

I couldn't get out of bed until they removed the cathader (sp?), and that wasn't until the next day (c-section was at 9:30 am, cathader came out about 24 hours later). I was able to go to the NICU in a wheelchair after it was out and the day after that (2 days post-op) I was able to walk (slowly) to the NICU myself.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 PM

after my c/s (32 weeker who was whisked directly to the NICU from the OR) I sat around for a while demanding the nurses to bring me down to the NICU as soon as I was out of the recovery room (2 hours after the surgery was over) and after 6 hours, I had had enough of them ignoring me and convinced DH to nab a wheelchair from the hallway and wheel me the 30 feet down the hall from my room to the NICU. Off we went, cath bag in my lap and DH pushing me and the IV pole!
#4 of 14 Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM

My DS was born via c-section as well. He was a 28 weeker. They stopped him off for me to see and wave too as they whisked him off while I was still being stitched back together. Then on the way from my recovery room to my post partum room, they stopped me in the intensive care nursery to see him. He was born at a quarter to 9 in the evening, so after all that, I was asleep for the night (aside from pumping every three hours- the nurses couldn't believe I was pushing so hard to get the pump at midnight instead of waiting til morning). Then I was allowed to go (via wheelchair) whenever I felt up to it.

I don't know about nursing. Since my son was so little, he wasn't able to have anything in his stomach at all for a couple days. I've been pumping like a maniac since he was born since he's just now been big enough to nurse.
#5 of 14 Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Ask lots of questions.

If you want to nurse, make it very clear that you don't want the baby to have anything other than breast milk. Most NICU's are supportive of breastfeeding, but we did run into one nurse who would try to give our baby a bottle "so I could go lay down and get some rest..." I think she had good intentions, but she was not respecting our family's choices.

Those first few days, I didn't care at all about sleep. I couldn't sleep if I could see, hear, or feel the baby. So there was no point in being down in my room in labor and delivery. The L&D nurses eventually would come find me in the NICU to bring me meals and after the first few hours, they did not have to take my vitals very often.

I felt much more comfortable if my husband or one of the grandma's could be with our son all the time. If we had a longer NICU stay, I probably would have grown to trust the nurses more, but in the beginning I just felt frantic if the baby wasn't right there.
#6 of 14 Old 09-17-2008, 12:16 PM

If you haven't already, I strongly recommend taking a visit to the NICU and talking with the charge nurse about how things operate there. It will give you a better sense of their style with parents, the size of the rooms, you can learn the visiting hours and see how open they are to you coming in whenever, and so on. We visited the NICU where our baby is going to be after she's born, and it was very helpful to get a lay of the land, and speak to the nurse who ran the floor.
#7 of 14 Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsofia View Post
If you haven't already, I strongly recommend taking a visit to the NICU and talking with the charge nurse about how things operate there. It will give you a better sense of their style with parents, the size of the rooms, you can learn the visiting hours and see how open they are to you coming in whenever, and so on. We visited the NICU where our baby is going to be after she's born, and it was very helpful to get a lay of the land, and speak to the nurse who ran the floor.

I visited last week. it seems pretty ok. I can be there 23 hours a day, they are VERY pro breastfeeding... the doc I talked to was very supportive of getting him out of the nicu as soon as possible... letting me do a lot of things at home.

Its 2 days away now....
#8 of 14 Old 09-18-2008, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm glad to hear that you have seen the NICU. I think it really would have helped me to have that "picture" of where DD was.

I was able to go and see DD once I could get into a wheelchair. I still had may catheter in on my first visit. It was nearly 12 hours, most of that though was because it was the middle of the night and I finally managed to fall asleep!

They were usually able to take mums on the way from recovery to the ward but they were working on another baby in the unit and didn't have room for the trolley I was on.

I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you
#9 of 14 Old 09-21-2008, 03:04 AM

So... Im curious when you come back if the hospital actually took the baby from the NICU, brought the baby to you and let him nurse?
#10 of 14 Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
So... Im curious when you come back if the hospital actually took the baby from the NICU, brought the baby to you and let him nurse?
My baby was too little/young to nurse when he was born. He got expressed breastmilk from a feeding tube for his first three weeks or so. So I was already home when he started actual nursing. I have to go into the NICU to feed him. The other moms I've seen with babies born ready to nurse have been taken to the NICU to nurse their babies. It's safer for the moms to go to the babies than to take the babies out of the NICU.
#11 of 14 Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post
My baby was too little/young to nurse when he was born. He got expressed breastmilk from a feeding tube for his first three weeks or so. So I was already home when he started actual nursing. I have to go into the NICU to feed him. The other moms I've seen with babies born ready to nurse have been taken to the NICU to nurse their babies. It's safer for the moms to go to the babies than to take the babies out of the NICU.
Yeah that is why I am asking. I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER heard of a NICU allowing a baby to leave the NICU to go to a mothers room to nurse... A Nursery, yes, but a NICU , no.

Babies in the NICU generally only leave the NICU when they are being discharged to another unit or home.. Its not typical at all for a baby to leave the NICU to go and nurse. If they are healthy enough for that then there is no need for them to be in the NICU, they should be in the nursery.
#12 of 14 Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 AM

I am curious but wouldnt it be possible to skip the medication for the next few days so that when he is born he will already have the med. out of his system or is that not possible because of your pain?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#13 of 14 Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khourtniey View Post
Yeah that is why I am asking. I have NEVER EVER EVER EVER heard of a NICU allowing a baby to leave the NICU to go to a mothers room to nurse... A Nursery, yes, but a NICU , no.

Babies in the NICU generally only leave the NICU when they are being discharged to another unit or home.. Its not typical at all for a baby to leave the NICU to go and nurse. If they are healthy enough for that then there is no need for them to be in the NICU, they should be in the nursery.
Yes, this. Plus - it's really not safe for the other babies to have this bae going back and forth. Our hospital did have a step-down unit, for babies that were not quite healthy enough for the nursery, but too healthy for the NICU, and those babies were able to go back and forth to mom's room for nursing only. I think the "rule" was that they could only be out for an hour at a time, and they had tele monitors that the nurses were always watching in the monitor room.
#14 of 14 Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 AM

Im confused by this.. are you an extremely high doses that this is warranted? I only ask becasue with therapeutic use of nrcotic pain killers, the risk of withdrawal in the neonate is extremely minimal. And if you intend to nurse, you can pretty much avoid an possible withdrawals that way.

I take hydrocodone (prescribed of course) for chronic pain and have throught all 3 of my pregnancies. My babies never has any withdrawals are required a nicu stay to observe for them..

Please dont take this the wrong way, I would just hate to see you and your new baby separated for 3 days if its not necessarry, kwim?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page