Micro Preemie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister gave birth to her DS three weeks ago today at 23 weeks gestation. She lives near Paris, which is so far from us. How can we be supportive? Anyone have a similiar experience? She very unhopeful, so we're all hoping for her.

Sorry this is so choppy...typing with my own new born in arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-20-2008, 12:52 PM

wow, 23 weeks. My boys were born at 25w4d and just came home at the beginning of this month. Your sister has a very long and difficult road ahead. Being so far away, the best thing you could do is make sure she knows that she can call you anytime. All of the odds are against the baby. There are going to be a lot of ups and downs and one of the best things was having a few close friends and family that I could talk to anytime. I'm not sure how far she is from the hospital but if you can send money for transportation to and from the hospital or for food while she visiting the baby, that would be super helpful.
Also, there's a good sticky thread about what we wish our friends and family knew about the nicu.
Congrats to your sister! Remember to celebrate, her baby may have been born really early but she gave birth and it will probably be nice for your sister to feel celebrated. Send a congratulations card or a nice preemie outfit (even though it won't fit for a long time) or a nice micro preemie shirt from here http://www.preemie.com/Preemie%20Yums_bymfg_10-1-1.html
I bought 2 micro preemie shirts shortly after my boys were born, they were huge on them for a month or so but the nurses put the boys in their clothes and it made everything more "normal: for me.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#3 of 5 Old 09-20-2008, 06:20 PM

I agree with PP. Lots of emotional support. $$ is helpful for food and travel, perhaps a calling card to call you whenever.

You said she had the three weeks ago. . . how's he doing?
#4 of 5 Old 09-21-2008, 12:20 AM

If she is overseas, is the 23 weeks gestastation 23 weeks like in the states or btw is it more like 26 weeks?? Just checking btw!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 5 Old 09-21-2008, 03:00 AM

At 23 weeks she will have a rough go.. Many ups and downs but tell her not to lose hope I think the pp gave some good advice. Offer her whatever help you can.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page