NICU newbie (had son at 33w 5days) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I just wanted to introduce myself. I had my son, William, on Tuesday morning at 33 weeks, 5 days. It was due to pPROM.

My daughter was a week overdue, so this was a complete shock to me. The labor was very fast. In triage, they tried to stop contractions with Terbuline, but it didn't work. I was 4 cm and 100% effaced. I was sent to R&D, sadly, during the morning shift change.

I ended up getting an epi (sorry to say), but they did not realize that I was already 10cm and he was crowning! So, I had the epi for pushing, which took about 15 minutes (about two times maybe?) It was very scary, because my husband had to drive our DD down to my parents' house 30 minutes away. They had just returned from Greece and had taken Lunestra for sleep 6 hours prior, so couldn't drive since it hadn't worn off completely. I had to labor alone (no nurse as it was shift change), until he got back.

Anyway, he's been in the NICU since, and is doing good so far. He was in the intensive bed until yesterday, and is now in an isolette. He has been taken off oxygen and they just started feeding him my breastmilk via gavage. I have been able to hold him three times, which has been super hard. It's also hard because I can't get down to the NICU very often. I am a WAHM, and DD can't go to the NICU at her age of 21 months.

I am so glad for this forum. I hope William will be home soon.
#2 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 PM

I hate to say welocme, because nobody wants to end up here. There are lots of great ladies here who have been through your situation and will have great advice. Congratulations on the birth of your beuatiful baby!

-Melissa Jensen

Mom to Miss Kat- 5, bilateral progressive loss, just became severe-profound (will be implanted 10-10-08 with a right side AB, activation 11-17-08)

http://misskatsmom.blogspot.com/
#3 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Welcome and congrats on the birth of your son There is a lot of good info in this forum. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions (you will have lots of questions). Hopefully your nicu stay is short and uneventful.

Lindsey- SAHM to Skylar (7-12-01), Leah (10-29-04), id twin boys Addison and Riley (6-17-08, born at 25w4d), and Terran (5-29-11, born at 28 weeks)

#4 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 09:59 PM

Welcome!Congrats on the baby, I am sure he is super cute. :

But, being so new you have ?s and maybe your head is still spinning. Ask away!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#5 of 9 Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 AM

My goodness, what a shock! Welcome and congratulations on making it through what sounds like a very difficult situation. It's great that your L/O is doing so well!! Please keep us posted on his progress, and feel free to ask questions or rant!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#6 of 9 Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Sorry you have to be here. I had DS at 33 weeks on 7/17/08. He was in the NiCU 2 weeks. We still have a few problems with bfding and severe reflux but he is doing well.

Hope your little one's stay is short. Best wishes.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#7 of 9 Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 PM

As the other moms have said, we hate to say welcome, but this is a great place for support, answers to questions, and even when you just need to vent. My son was born at 30 weeks on 5/19/08. He spent 2 and a half months in the NICU.

When you get to hold your little one it's bitter sweet. You are grateful he's doing well enough so you can hold him but at the same time you just want to take him home.
#8 of 9 Old 10-08-2008, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your replies. He is doing better, except for the feeding issues I mentioned in another thread.

He's still in an isolette, but has been moved to the feeder/grower room, but isn't interested in the bottle or breast yet. I am able to hold him every time I come in, as long as the feeding is over or hasn't yet started. Since he's been vomiting, they don't want to jostle him until he's been better (I think he has reflux...). I was able to hold him for over an hour tonight, and it was great!
#9 of 9 Old 10-10-2008, 01:55 AM

Congrats, Mama!

My boys were born at 33w. They were in NICU for 22 days solely for the feeding issue as well.

As we were told numerous times, it's like one day the lightbulb turns on and they just get it (suck/swallow reflex). It's soooooo true.

{{HUGS}}

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page