The light at the end of the tunnel, the station- whatever! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-06-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

So I am in the waiting room at a pediatric clinic for the nicu hospital. Its a satelight clinic and it has Maggie's speech there. So every monday at 9am, we go. I see it as my hour to read while she does her speech.

So a guy sits down next to me with a baby. Then Maggie gets called and I go in with her. Eventually a few minutes later, I go back to the waiting room and he gets called.

So then he is finished with his appt, and he is telling someone his babies were in the nicu. I asked= babies? He says yes, his dd has a twin sister. They were 12 weeks premature. He said they were 1 8oz and 1 4oz. He was on his way to the nicu for the follow up. I said wow! my Maggie was 1 lb 12oz. He says really? " That tall toddler w the curly hair was 1 lb 12oz??????!!!" He didnt believe she was a micro preemie. I guess when she was that little, I could not believe I would get there either!!

So we start swapping who are attendings were and all. Then another person in the waiting room says she used to work in the nicu and boy the conversation got going! So he promised to say hello for me and all. But boy I was on cloud nine after he said that= that toddler was a preemie??
But afterwards when I was making appts for more speech, the receptionist said she didnt know MAggie was in the nicu and was also blown away by her.

I then had an appt with my ped afterwards to check Maggie's ears and her throat from last week's infection. She said after the appt- its hard to believe how small you were! She was there at her birth. I shared what had happened earlier and she said- funny isnt it, its a great thing!

So, I guess my nicu time is now far enough away and I have people saying this!

Thanks for reading!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 5 Old 10-06-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks for your post; it was just what I needed to hear. DS was not a micro, but he is taking his time catching up, and every day I hear someone (usually a stranger) comment on how tiny he is. I love that he's small and cuddly, but I will be so happy when he starts catching up a bit.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2008, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well I know exactly what you mean! I can remember people saying how old is that baby?? Heck there was an obnoxious nurse on the elevator ride down as MAggie was discharged making comments. My regular nurse almost jumped down her throat- growling- she is 3 mos old!!! All 5 lbs of her mind you!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2008, 10:00 AM

There is nothing better to hear than that, I know!

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.
#5 of 5 Old 10-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Yeah! Maybe there is some hope for Lilly to eventually catch up. We just took her for her three-year-old pictures and had to buy size 12 months pants. Even at our NICU reunion she was smaller then most of the two year olds.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page