Wearing a preemie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-08-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, so I'm a big baby wearer (I don't know how anyone survives having older children and a newborn without a good sling/wrap). I wore both my girls from birth on. The trouble with DS is that he's so tiny. At 7.5 weeks, he's just barely 5lb (which is double his birth weight, so that's big for him, lol). He's so light, the ring slings are hard to adjust the way I like them and they don't sit right. He's so tiny that he slides all over/slumps down in the mei tai and the onbuhimo. I have a snuggli structured carrier, but it's pretty uncomfortable. I didn't like the moby with the girls, but maybe that would work better for someone so tiny? Am I missing a technique for the ring sling (my favorite carrier) or the Asian style carriers (my 2nd fav). Any suggestions for preemie wearing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 PM

My little one was 3 pounds 5 ounces and only 4 pounds when we brought him home. (They couldn't justify keeping him because he was so strong and healthy) I have a peanut shell and it has worked really well for me. He loves it because he's wrapped tighty. It's cute because he wraps his arm around me too! :
#3 of 11 Old 10-09-2008, 05:40 AM

We relied heavily on the Peanut Shell when DS was 5 pounds, and the Moby came in really handy as well. In fact, I honestly don't know what we would have done without the moby. With the Peanut Shell, we were sort of worried about his head tilting down too much, so we placed a folded up towel underneath him for some extra support.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#4 of 11 Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 AM

I wore DD in a moby wrap when she first came home and for a long time after.
#5 of 11 Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM

If you go over to www.thebabywearer.com they have a forum for babywearing in special circumstances. Lots of mamas with experience and ideas!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#6 of 11 Old 10-09-2008, 04:13 PM

We liked our moby with our son who was 5 pounds 8 ounces. Wore him in it almost the entire first month at home!

It was funny if we went out of the house. People would look at me for a while trying to figure out if there was anything in there or if I was just wearing a strange wrap shirt. Most people were shocked to see a little 5 or 6 pounds baby tucked up against my chest.
#7 of 11 Old 10-09-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

I picked up some clearance jersey fabric today and made a couple wraps. He's loving it and it's so much more secure than the others. I still can't wait until he grows into the ring slings though. Those are my favorite because they are so versitile.
#8 of 11 Old 10-10-2008, 12:10 AM

I had the O2 as well and Maggie was about 5 lbs when she came home. I had her in the new native organic. Sometimes she would get lost in there but as she grew, it was fine. I also used the moby wrap.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 11 Old 10-11-2008, 06:10 PM

My friend Tracy (www.wearyourbaby.com) made me a babywearing dress!!! I noticed your siggie with a sewing machine -- she said it was easy to make. We made a short youtube video yesterday so hopefully it'll be up this weekend and perhaps you can give it a try? My baby is 6.5lbs now and it works wonderfully for us!!!

I also really like stretchy homemade wraps at this age!:
#10 of 11 Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Sweet! I'm all about easy to make at home baby stuff!
#11 of 11 Old 10-14-2008, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another vote for the Moby. DS was 4.5 pounds when he came home, and he just seemed so comfy and secure in the wrap. He was in the KC position as well, which I think helped.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page