Did you do Synagis two years in a row? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2008, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took DS in for a check up and the doctor said that he might put DS on the list for Synagis again. DS is 17 mos. and was a 33 weeker. He's still quite small, but doesn't have any problems besides that. He had Synagis last year (November-April), and I'd rather not subject him to that again.

Did your babe have to get Synagis again a second time around? What were the contributing factors?

Thanks!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 04:09 AM

My daughter got three shots her first season since she was born at 25wks in February. She then went on to get the shots the following season from September-April due to being oxygen dependent, ventilator dependent and having chronic respiratory failure. The third season (second full season) she got them October-March (typical season where we live) due to being oxygen dependent at night time, requiring maintenance nebulizer treatments, having documented x-rays showing lung damage and a history of hospitalizations for respiratory illness. We're in the appeals process for a fourth season of Synagis based on continuous oxygen dependence, round the clock breathing and CPT treatments, documented deterioration of lung condition via CT and x-ray that show chronic atelectasis and bronchiectasis and a history of hospitalizations for respiratory infections.

It definitely never hurts to put him on the list again though insurance might not give approval. Personally I'm a big fan of Synagis and if your doctor thinks he might qualify again I'd leap at it. I've seen what RSV can do and it's not pretty.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:20 PM

DD was born in Oct, came home in Jan so she got her Synagis from Jan-May (the season was extended that year) and then the next full season.

She was a 27 weeker with no respiratory issues but she has an older sibling that goes to school. She also did not turn 1yo until after the start of RSV season so that pretty much qualified her (Under 1yo and born before 29w at the beginning of RSV season was the critieria from her insurance co, IIRC).

Her Dr wanted to try for a 3rd season but I didn't agree. She would have had to get the dose in 2 injections and it is a pretty painful shot. She also had no respiratory problems and was really very healthy. I actually allowed the Dr to apply and the insurance co denied her so I was relieved not to have to make a decision about that 3rd season.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

That's part of my issue- he'll need two shots each time we go, so he's going to be in a lot of pain. Last time it took him three days to start acting normal again after each shot. He doesn't have any siblings, no oxygen issues, was never rehospitalized.... he's just small. I guess I'll just let him apply and we'll go from there.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
Old 10-22-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklett View Post
Last time it took him three days to start acting normal again after each shot.
This is actually good to hear. I was going to post on here and ask about crabbiness after the shot. Levi got his first dose Monday and it was two shots- one in each thigh. He was a little cranky the rest of the day, then didn't let us sleep all night that night. He was less fussy yesterday, but still more than normal and last night was pretty rough. Not as bad as Monday night, but I'm still running on coffee to keep up with the kids today. He's seeming pretty content today and it's good to hear that a couple days of being off is normal.

I think we're borderline if he'll qualify for it next year. This year was a no brainer, as he was a 28 weeker just born this August and has two older siblings in school.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, three days was pretty routine for us. One of the very few times I actually resorted to Tylenol. Warm baths/showers helped as well.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckysprplmonkey View Post
Levi got his first dose Monday and it was two shots- one in each thigh.
I think we're borderline if he'll qualify for it next year. This year was a no brainer, as he was a 28 weeker just born this August and has two older siblings in school.
Holy cow! Not to gloss over your concerns, but a 28 weeker born just 2 months ago is already over 1ml! Is he over 14 pounds? That's awesome!

Oh wait, are they giving him less than 1ml in each injection?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowers View Post
Holy cow! Not to gloss over your concerns, but a 28 weeker born just 2 months ago is already over 1ml! Is he over 14 pounds? That's awesome!

Oh wait, are they giving him less than 1ml in each injection?
They were smaller injections.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:11 PM

I *wish* my 32 weeker (or my 34 weeker!) would have qualified for the shots their second winters. My 32 weeker got RSV his second winter and wound up under an oxygen tent in the ICU. He's got residual lung damage and every time he gets sick it goes straight to his lungs and we wind up touch and go for several weeks with the nebs and hoping to stay out of children's hospital

If he qualifies, I would absolutely do the shots.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:15 AM

I wish! Our pediatrician said that our 30-weeker, now 14 months, would not qualify this year, despite having virally-induced asthma and needing daily breathing treatments with Pulmicort.

If your babe qualifies and insurance will cover it, I'd do it.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 AM

I'm arguing with my insurance now to get Audrey covered- apparently she is two days too old to fit in the requirements. My ped office is fighting it out with the referrals. Apparently the AAP says equal to or less than 6m for 33-35 wk babies with at least two other risk factors. She has the risk factors but they are saying since she is 6m 10/29 and RSV season is officially 11/1, she is not qualifying.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2maya View Post
I'm arguing with my insurance now to get Audrey covered- apparently she is two days too old to fit in the requirements. My ped office is fighting it out with the referrals. Apparently the AAP says equal to or less than 6m for 33-35 wk babies with at least two other risk factors. She has the risk factors but they are saying since she is 6m 10/29 and RSV season is officially 11/1, she is not qualifying.
On holy cow. Now that's just ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklett View Post
On holy cow. Now that's just ridiculous.
oh definitely ridiculous. My peds office is hopping mad.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM

which ped do you go to, mary? Our office started doing shots earlier this month, and they usually go by whatever CHOP says is the beginning of the season here for us. I might be worth calling over to one of the respiratory ICU's at CHOP to see if they've seen a spike in RSV cases yet, then the ins co might be willing to override the 11/1. 11/1 is just a guesstimate anyway, it's varies so much across the country. I really hope you're able to fight it!!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Drexel Hill pediatrics. I don't think they are starting the shots til nov.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:50 PM

We did the Synagis for 2 years....he was born in August at 30 weeks....was only on the vent for about 36h....and no on-going resp issues....but he was in daycare and daddy works at a hospital.....also our insurance covered most of it.

We didn't experience the side effects that others mentioned. He would cry when the nurse came to the house and when she held his legs for the injections, but as soon as she was done, I nursed him and he stopped crying and was fine....never needed Tylenol or anything else for the Synagis....some of the other vax at the ped's office were rough on him.....but not the Synagis.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 PM

We had it for 2 years. At first they told me only Kate would qualify for the second year (she's got BPD) but in the end both of them did, and I was glad for it. My girls never had any ill effects from the shots, other than the "ouch, what the heck did you just do to me?" momentary crying.

Betsy, mama to beautiful, strong MZ twins Lillian and Kate, born 11 weeks early on January 10, 2006.

User Tag List