vitamin supplements in EBM for preemies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone got any studies to help me get out of giving my babies added vitamins?!

I know they are prem. and have different needs to a full term baby, but preemie mama milk is different accordingly.

I don't want anything else stuffed into them that isn't 100% necessary. I just need some evidence that it shouldn't be routine to give supplements!!!
Almost everyday it's like here we go again; something new to deal with. Vitamins might seem minor compared to some of the stuff, it is minor comparatively, but it's a huge deal too. These choices just shouldn't be taken out of our hands.

Thanks
xx

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 PM

Our hospital was undergoing a study on preemie mom EBM when I left a year ago.

They do it based on preemie nutrition panels. Labs they draw usually once a week. Then adjust supplements accordingly.

I'm sure you could refuse, but stuff like Vit D is pretty important for bone growth.
#3 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Found something in the b'feeding answer book (LLL) it states that bone density at age 5 and then 9 is greater in b'milk fed preemie babies who were fed solely breastmilk. The longer the feeding went on for, the greater the bone density, and it was greater density in those preemies than in full term b'fed babies.

I do get that iron stores will be low too, but again, longterm b'fed babies tend to have higher iron levels. I'm fine supplementing with something like floradix, I just don't trust the absorbability and harmlessness of hospital 'synthetic' mixes.

Also found this googling, but can't put it into context as I'm not qualified in the jargon:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18727077

joy.gifspread a lot of love joy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shukr View Post
Found something in the b'feeding answer book (LLL) it states that bone density at age 5 and then 9 is greater in b'milk fed preemie babies who were fed solely breastmilk. The longer the feeding went on for, the greater the bone density, and it was greater density in those preemies than in full term b'fed babies.

I do get that iron stores will be low too, but again, longterm b'fed babies tend to have higher iron levels. I'm fine supplementing with something like floradix, I just don't trust the absorbability and harmlessness of hospital 'synthetic' mixes.

Also found this googling, but can't put it into context as I'm not qualified in the jargon:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18727077
I would question what gestation the sample group was born at. Preemies born around the time of viability and to some extent those born before 30wks and occasionally even after 30wks are at a very high risk of osteopenia of prematurity due to the lasix they require for their lung disease and the fact that this depletes their body of minerals. I can understand that preemies post 30wks may not need any supplimentation of vitamins and may be better without additional vitamins, however having a baby who suffered through multiple bone fractures due to what has now become rickets, I would not hesitate to suppliment with vitamins and minerals and wish that such steps had been taken sooner.

It's also documented that those preemies who do receive an additional small amount of preemie formula (with higher mineral content) in addition to breastmilk had better bone growth and were taller than their exclusively fed breastmilk counterparts later down the road.
#5 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 AM

I did not give my dd vitamins with any regularity and she did suffer from anemia. Her iron was really very low at 9mos old... so low that they admitted her to the hospital to rule out any internal bleeding!

So while I agree that the standard poly-vi-sol may be overkill in some cases, I would always recommend that they take the one that had Vit D, E & C and add iron at 6mos or earlier. If nothing else, Use Floradix a few times per week... But that's from my personal experience.

Preemies that were born earlier &/or had other complications have different needs than those born closer to term.

And as far as the preemie mama milk... the composition is different in the first few months, but by the time the baby is close to term, it becomes closer to the milk of a term baby. Of course that is very natural and in many caese it's perfect but for some babies, it just isn't enough.
#6 of 7 Old 10-23-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irangel View Post
It's also documented that those preemies who do receive an additional small amount of preemie formula (with higher mineral content) in addition to breastmilk had better bone growth and were taller than their exclusively fed breastmilk counterparts later down the road.
Thus explains my dd Maggie being refered to as tall as well as several preemie graduates I know who are much older, some in High school now.
She got some of that formula for a while. But was also breastfed for a year.

FWIW, Maggie was almost 25 weeks (24w, 6 days, 18 hours but they say she is a 24 weeker) and I pumped within an hour of birth. I then got my milk in within 36 hours. Compared to my FT nursing experience, this milk had a smell of iron, a very strong smell. Its color was also different. I remember reading that micro preemie mothers milk also has a high content of omega3s. It was as my body knew she was supposed to cook longer, but made up in the Breastmilk.

I would do the supplements for a micro preemie for all mentioned above and keep giving them long after the edd. For an older preemie, it depends on the situation.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#7 of 7 Old 10-25-2008, 12:43 PM

I researched this thoroughly when my girls came home and Poly Vi Sol for preemies is a very good idea. I didn't give them any formula but was advised to by the NICU.

Mama to lovely twin girls 1/08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page