My first midwife appointment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 08-03-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first appointment last night! It definitely made this real.

I was so happy to see my mw again. Of course, there wasn't much to do but take my history since the last birth and go over all the agreements again. I'm just hoping that insurance will cover her, but it looks like we'll have to pay her upfront and then just get reimbursed...yikes.

I know my next appointment is about 5 weeks away, but I can't wait, since we'll get to hear the heartbeat. I have to keep reminding myself to sloooooow down my excitement.

The good news is that she gave me the go-ahead to run the Hood To Coast Relay at the end of this month.

Anybody else having a hard time staying in the moment? When are you meeting your care provider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 08-03-2006, 08:38 PM

We are meeting with our midwife August 25th. That seems really far away. I am so impatient!
#3 of 18 Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 PM

I saw the Dr. today. It wasn't the actual first appt - they usually don't see patients until 8-12 weeks, but I wanted bloodwork to make me feel better. I wil find out the results tomorrow! I also had an u/s. I saw the gestional sac, but nothing else since I am only 5w5d.

I'm on edge, because I had a m/c at this time last pregnancy. The Dr. said everything looked good, and we'll know more after the results are back tomorrow.
#4 of 18 Old 08-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Jes

My first appointment isn't until Aug 22. It seems so far away, but I know it'll be here before I know.
#5 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 AM

I meet my midwife tomorrow. I'm really excited but nervous at the same time. I haven't met her yet so I'm hoping we'll click. And I hope she isn't too expensive. The m/w I was going to go through last time was $1400 (which is somewhat affordable considering our insurance won't cover any of it) which included postpartum care and she was so awesome. I just hope it all works out.
#6 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 03:07 AM

I don't have an appointment until 9 weeks (first week in Sept), but I'm in the process of switching insurance so I can go to a local birth center (www.beststartbirthcenter.com). I'm going to go in on Monday for a free pregnancy test and just to ask lots of questions. My new insurance covers that place! I can't tell you how happy I am about that. Two of my best friends gave birth there.

Also, slightly off-topic, but I am in awe of you running long races while pregnant! You're an inspiration! My last long run was a trail 8 miler and was probably close to 3 weeks ago. You're making me want to get out there and do a little more jogging!
#7 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 AM

My first appointment is August 17th--less than two weeks now! They don't see patients before 8-9 weeks, so that's the soonest I could set it. I can't wait! I'm sure it'll make all this much more real for me! (the few symptoms I've been having aren't enough to fully convince me yet! )
#8 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaaaah
Also, slightly off-topic, but I am in awe of you running long races while pregnant! You're an inspiration! My last long run was a trail 8 miler and was probably close to 3 weeks ago. You're making me want to get out there and do a little more jogging!
Running keeps me sane right now. I'm hoping to do it for as long as it's comfortable. I want to have a belly in front of me when I run so that my little town can see that even pregnant women can be strong runners!

My boss (an ex-runner) was telling me about a race where he got totally smoked by a very visibly pregnant woman pushing a jogging stroller. And he wasn't a slow guy, either! That's my inspiration.

Get out there and run while you can, Juliah! Maybe we can keep each other inspired!
#9 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 01:38 PM

I had my first appt. today, and it was not very good : I really didn't click with the midwife, or anyone else in the office - it was very disappointing, and my mood swings must be kicking in because I cryed all the way home.

I was feeling so good about it - both midwives at this practice came highly recommended by the nurse that gave dh & I a tour of the maternity center at the hospital we'll deliver at, and they are midwives, right, they should be all into listening to you and not just going by the little wheel to determine birthdate, etc, right? The staff just didn't seem very friendly, and when the lady came in to take my blood pressure etc (not the midwife, the tech(?)), she started going for the wheel and I said, well, actually, I ovulate later than day 14, and she pretty much just ignored that. The midwife is just not my style, and maybe that's kind of frivilous, but this is someone I'm going to be seeing for the next nine months and need to be able to trust and be very comfortable with. And I'm just not. When I first met her, I already had been asked to put the little paper gown on (except they were out of the gowns, so I got a little vest and a drape : ), and she had a limp handshake and just started baraging me with random questions - no how are you, who are you.... When I mentioned again that I chart my cycles and know that I ovulated later, and that I had brought my chart with me if she wanted to see it, she didn't really seem that interested. And when she asked if I had any questions (mind you, I'm still sitting up on the table in this flimsy little paper thing - not exactly the most comfortable or equal kind of situation), I said I did, but could I ask them when I was dressed? She said fine, but the "office" that we went to after the exam was not a private office - there were constantly people in and out grabbing charts, etc. I just didn't feel comfortable asking all my questions - and she would say "ask me anything" "that's what I'm here for", but it was one of those things where you don't really feel like it's true.

And the other thing is that I've assumed that I've had a yeast infection on and off for the past three months & have gone to my family doc about it, tried diflucan twice and it hasn't gone away. She examined me once & said that yes there was yeast. Well, the midwife today said that I have bacterial vaginosis. Which I read in one of my books is somthing that needs to be treated because it can cause miscarraiges. She said it should be fine, that lots of women get them, and this early it shouldn't cause a miscarriage - she gave me a prescription for some meds that she said would be safe. So please send me some healthy, sticky baby vibes - I'm kind of scared.

So anyway - thanks for letting me vent. I'm feeling pretty sad and not knowing what to do. I don't know if it's kosher to ask to meet the other midwife in the practice to see if I click any better with her (thoughts??). NE Ohio is not a good area for AP stuff - I posted in the finding your tribe forum for anyone that might have recommendations for a good midwife that would be able to deliver at the hospital. I don't know how all that works and am worried that I'm going to be stuck with this one.

On the good side, she said everything looks fine, and that the infection shouldn't be a problem. I'll get to go in for an ultrasound in 4 weeks to determine the age and then back for an office visit the next week to hear the heartbeat (hopefully!). She also ordered an hcg screen today and another next friday since I've had some spotting, just to make sure the numbers are doubling like they should. I'll be really relieved if those are ok.

Thanks again for letting me vent
#10 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 01:41 PM

Sorry the visit wasn't what you were hoping for. Are there other mw options in your area? It might be worth it to visit other places...
#11 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 PM

My Dr just called with my blood work:

3100 Hcg, 22 progesterone and he said we could come next Friday for another u/s becuase all we saw yesterday was the gestational sac
#12 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM

I'm sorry, Annie. Hopefully you'll find somebody better. If not, maybe this particular midwife will grow on you. Oh, and I wouldn't hesitate to ask to see the other midwife. Feeling comfortable with your midwife is so important.
#13 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 PM

I'm sorry, Annie. That blows. hugs to you.
#14 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 03:44 PM

thanks...

I suppose I will try to meet the other one - just so awkward I wish we were up for having a homebirth so that we didn't have to deal with the whole mess of who can deliver at what hospitals... I tried calling another practice, but the 3 midwives there only deliver at one hosp (far away) and they rotate, you don't get to just see one consistantly.

I'm sorry, I'll shut up now

I'm really excited for those of you that have had good first appointments and awesome, Kelsi, about your numbers!
#15 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 05:17 PM

the three people rotating doesn't sound all that bad. you won't get like, a new best friend coming to visit you in your home, but it's still pretty decent. take comfort in that!

at the birth center we're thinking about, we don't get assigned a specific midwife, either. but i think their methodology is that you just get to know everyone there. we'll see, though! i'm going to go in on monday to have a consult and look around.
#16 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM

Kelsi,

Annie, I would definitely ask to meet with the other m/w for peace of mind. If you're worried about what they'd think then you could always say that you want to get to know everyone who might take part in your birthing experience. Also, it might be worth it to ask to go in when it's their least busy time/day, then maybe you'll get better one-on-one time.
#17 of 18 Old 08-04-2006, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Darn, Annie.

I agree with pps that said you should try to meet the other mws and do some more looking around.

Also, don't feel bad about venting. Vent all you want. That's what we're here for. I only wish we could have for all the pity parties we'll be happily throwing in here!
#18 of 18 Old 08-05-2006, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief
I suppose I will try to meet the other one - just so awkward I wish we were up for having a homebirth so that we didn't have to deal with the whole mess of who can deliver at what hospitals... I tried calling another practice, but the 3 midwives there only deliver at one hosp (far away) and they rotate, you don't get to just see one consistantly.

I'm sorry, I'll shut up now

I'm really excited for those of you that have had good first appointments and awesome, Kelsi, about your numbers!
With my DD, I went to a birth center practice that rotated and it was nice because they worked shifts for births and then you got to spend time with all three so you were confortable with all of them. You may just want to check out the other midwife to see if she is a better fit. I agree with pp to see if you can find out whe they are least busy and make your appt then.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement on my numbers!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page