Ultrasound anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In light of recent study that found u/s caused problems in the brains of developing mice Im reconsidering this.

I had u/s with all three of my kids, and they dont have any problems that I can trace to u/s. Im on the fence here.

What are everyone elses plans?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#2 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 07:22 PM

If there is some indication it would be beneficial, I will. But at this point I don't plan on it. This will be the first time I don't, though. My first three were hospital births and I got the standard 18-22 week one and depending on the pregnancy, some later on.

My last baby, when I was still deciding to go with a homebirth midwife or a hospital medwife I thought if I got the ultrasound, it would help me prove to them I wasn't due as early as they thought and that would move my "deadline" for induction further back giving me more of a chance to go into labor on my own (which was VERY important to me!). I did get it, but it didn't do much more than add a couple days, so I went with my homebirth midwife.
#3 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 07:44 PM

Yes, I absolutely plan on getting ultrasounds. There is no REAL proof yet that ultrasounds cause any real problems. However, ultrasounds CAN detect problems or abnormalities with the baby. The gain far outweighs the risk in my opinion.
#4 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 08:12 PM

I need to read that study. I am on the fence already though. My husband really likes for me to have one each pregnancy. To verify wether or not the baby is ok. I guess so we would know if there were some good reason to birth in the hospital instead. I like the reassurance that everything developed properly. I just dont know...
#5 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 09:11 PM

I will be having at least one. I have a pelvic kidney that has to be watched for signs of enlargment and what-not.

But even without my issue, I would still have one. They can show early problems that may require xtra attention at birth.
#6 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 10:38 PM

Just to clarify, I didn't try to insinuate others (or even myself!) shouldn't. Just that I don't feel the need as of now!

#7 of 16 Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 PM

I've aleady had one and will have another tomorrow
#8 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 AM

We really want to find out the sex, so we'll have one for that reason, although I feel a little guilty about it now.
#9 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, me too, I really want to know gender, but now am wondering if I should!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#10 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 12:41 PM

I think I might have one at 18-20 weeks for peace of mind but I've pretty much decided that I don't want an earlier one.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#11 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 12:45 PM

and he is totally anti-drugs and etc. There was a lot of concern by the medical community that he, or another parent who brought one home, could damage the fetus if used too much. So...this must mean that there is some risk. Perhaps if you use it for too long. I only had one ultra-sound, in which they did about 50 measurements of all of the organs, limbs, and etc., to try to detect any abnormalities that we needed to be prepared for. I will do it again. I waited until pretty far into my pregnancy though. I think I was 6 months.
#12 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 01:02 PM

Well, considering I limit my use of the computer because of the radiation from the screen, ummm, I am a bit suspiscious of the effects of so much "technology" on such a natural process. I worked for a chiropractor for a year, and he has 4 kids all born naturally, at home, and delivered by him. Anyhow, we had an ultrasound machine in the office I used on patients to break up scar tissue, and once I asked him about ultrasounds on fetuses. His response: ultrasound waves are safe on mature cells, but can alter rapidly dividing/changing cells--Hello?? fetuses!

Well, this doc is a genius, and I trust him implicitly on these kinds of matters. So I haven't done much more research.

I have decided to only have an ultrasound if my midwife feels a strong reason that it should be done AND if the information found out will actually change how we proceed (as opposed to just "knowing" something but not being able to do anything about it).

Just my $.02. I definitely think there are situations where the benefits do outweigh the risk.
#13 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 02:38 PM

I can totally understand the reasoning behind not getting one, but for me it's just not an option. Especially since I've already had 2 miscarriages, one at 16 weeks...my peace of mind is more important to the baby's health. Pretty much every woman has at least one, if not a few, ultrasounds. I've never heard of one personally who's child was damaged from it...
#14 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I would totally have one for a necessary reason like that. Now that I read that article I feel guilty having one just to find out gender. Darn it, why did I read that study?

#15 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburroughs
I can totally understand the reasoning behind not getting one, but for me it's just not an option. Especially since I've already had 2 miscarriages, one at 16 weeks...my peace of mind is more important to the baby's health. Pretty much every woman has at least one, if not a few, ultrasounds. I've never heard of one personally who's child was damaged from it...
I've already had two, because I was so worried about another m/c. It is especially hard when no one knows why you m/c in the first place. After seeing the heartbeat, I feel so much better knowing that enough has gone right that the heart is beating.
#16 of 16 Old 08-11-2006, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to refuse one unless there is a compelling medical reason. It's hard, because I've miscarried before and I know if I went to an OB/Midwife they routinely order one early on and again around 20 weeks.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page