Mothering Forum banner

What is on your needs/wants list for this baby?

1K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  wanderinggypsy 
#1 ·
Okay, its a little early...but I love making lists!

Considering this is #5 (
still is shocking to me!) we don't "need" much. I would like:

- a Kangaroo Karrier (cotton seems more practical for April, but fleece sounds so cozy!)

- some newborn size Kissaluvs
They just look SO sweet! I've been drooling over them since my last baby. (We EC, so I think a dozen would be all we need.)

- a new car seat, ours baby one is past the 5 year limit

- two or three new outfits, just for this baby!

I still have my Kozy Karrier - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that thing!

And in the first few weeks, we'll probably use the swing again, so I can put the baby down in a safe place to go to the bathroom, shower, etc.

I also have all the prefolds I'll need, and fuzzi buns for later on (for outings or when I leave the baby with dh).

I have an exersaucer I'll pull out pre-walking age, but if this baby is anything like my others, it'll only be out for a month.

I don't need one of those little baby tubs, we have a nice deep sink and a water sling for showers.

See less See more
#3 ·
-A new diaper stash! I started buying before I was preggo :/ But I still need a ton of stuff.

-Mesh pouch sling

-Double stroller

-GOOD breast pump

-A Marathon (well money for it so I can buy it later) and maybe a new infant seat. Ours is in perfect cond. but the whole rebound thing still bothers me, so we may end up with a new one.

#6 ·
Diapers. We dont need much more. Considering a triple stroller, but may not be worth the expense as little as we'd use it, mostly for outings to themall or trade days. And dd is getting old enough to just walk or if another adult is with me, I can take the double stroller and the little umbrella one.

We have a dresser out in the barn I want dh to repair the top drawer and refinish for dd, then her dresser moves down to ds2 so the changing table/dresser can go to the baby.

I have a ton of stuff I need to get back from where it has been lent out:clothes, my breast pump, infant car seat, bassinet, baby swing etc.

If its a girl, I might need more clothes. My last baby was a boy and within the last year Ive gotten two new nephews. Lots of boy stuff floating around.

Oh yeah, new bottles, rings and caps for expressed milk.

I think that might just cover it.

#7 ·
We gave away most of our baby stuff, so I need just about all of it. At least now I know that babies don't really need that much stuff. Just a sling, clothes, blankets, dipes and not much else, really. I never put my babies down when their little, so I'm their main source of entertainment. No crib, since we co-sleep, though I might get one of those beside thingies, since our bed is getting pretty crowded with 4 of us as it is...........

I CD DD, but not DS, so I'm thinking of buying some cloth diapers. With DD, I used a diapering service, so not sure if I want to go that way again or just stock up and launder myself. I'm kind of intimidated by the thought, though. 'specially if I have to go back to work at least part time.

#10 ·
#1: Cloth dipes! We didn't start cd'ing dd until she was 10 months old, so I've never cd'ed a newborn. I expect this babe will be big at birth too, though (dd was 10 lbs. 9 oz.), so I have no idea what sizes to buy. I bought some knitted wool shorts off the TP and they look so TINY. Nobody in the family believes any child of mine will fit into them, even at birth, so I may give them to a friend due in December.

#2: Carseat

#3: Clothes. I tried to save as many gn clothes from dd as I could, but there weren't many. We're hitting a huge consignment sale in a couple of weeks, though, so maybe we'll get to stock up.

#4: Mai tei

#11 ·
We gave a lot of stuff away.

I need:

(a) carseat: The old one is 4 years old, so I could probably get away with it, but it's pretty skanky from being in the garage

(b) maternity clothes: Mine were bought used when I was pregnant with my first, eight years ago. I'm not going through another '90s pregnancy.

(c) prefolds: I gave mine all away to a mama who had surprise twins.

(d) baby clothes: Again, I gave most of them away. I'd like to get some funky unisex stuff

I want
(a) a TV stand so I can take the TV off the changing table and use the changing table again.

(b) A Hug a Bub because they're freaking cool

(c) A co-sleeper bassinette. We usually use a sidecar crib, but I finally took it down after seven years and I really like having the extra space in the bedroom. Is that selfish?

(d) some new wraps. Some of ours were bought used for my first.

#12 ·
Ah....I need everything....literally, that it takes for a newborn b/c this is our first child!! So there are no "leftovers" from previous babies in the household and what not....

I'm only 5 1/2 weeks pregnant, so I have time....but I will start thinking about the necessities are and go from there, trying not to spend too much $$ on what's not necessary (although buying cutesy clothes is much more fun, I'm sure, than buying a car seat!)

#13 ·
This is our first and no one in our family or circle of friends have babies that we could get hand-me-downs from, so we'll be needing everything. We're only buying the bare essentials, though, because we're moving accross country after the fourth trimester and don't want to move a bunch of stuff.

Doubt we'll have any baby showers or receive many gifts from people (they're just not baby-oriented
), so I'm going to do a lot of garage sale shopping. My DH won't let me start buying things until after the first trimester, but I have already managed to get a Moses basket on ebay (soooo cute!). I've also crocheted a blanket, a couple hats, a stuffed bear and bunny, and lots of booties. I like to sew, so I'll probably sew some cute outfits, too.

#14 ·
Since this is #4 for us and we already have 2 girls & 1 boy we don't need much.

We have also realized how much we DON'T need that we purchased before. Almost NOTHING on the BRU "layette" must have registry.

My wish list this time is a...

Happy Hangup
A few more Small & Medium Fuzzi Bunz
Moby D
Ombu
Sheepskin

I am going to make myself some new PP cloth pads.

#16 ·
We gave away most on our things after my dd was born. I still have some dipes and have been collecting clothes, but we need equipment:

*swing (possibly, one of my kids loved his swing, and it was great during fussy periods)
*car seat (leaning towards a Marathon)
*stroller (just bought that and picked it up today--big sale--got a Quinny Buzz in Papillon colours
*a CuddlyWrap
*a new sling
*co-sleeper (I like the sleigh one for it's weight bearing -- sometimes I like to nurse with me in the side car!)
*more dipes and covers
*a new dresser (Ikea likely)

Other than that, I got boob juice, a washing machine, and arms, so we are good to go!

#17 ·
I'm with you, Monkey Princess, not much that I do need. Unless this is a boy, thenI'll need clothes.

I'm thinking about a new sling of some kind. I'm not sure what I want.

I do know that I want to get a co-sleeper. With Claire being younger than when the other two had little siblings added, she'll need the crib for awhile yet. I want to make breastfeeding as easy as possible. DH doesn't like having the baby in bed with us and I respect that.

I got a new bouncey seat with Claire so I think I'm all set.

#20 ·
I've thought of one more thing:

a decent diaper bag. I've only used the ones given free at the hospital. I was packing it up today and was thinking: uggh! I want something else. Besides I saw the new bags that my little sister got and they are huge. Not what I would want to use every day. Not that I use one every day. Dh just uses a back pack. More manly and he can wear it over his should and it doesn't look like a purse.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mclisa
I've thought of one more thing:

a decent diaper bag. I've only used the ones given free at the hospital. I was packing it up today and was thinking: uggh! I want something else. Besides I saw the new bags that my little sister got and they are huge. Not what I would want to use every day. Not that I use one every day. Dh just uses a back pack. More manly and he can wear it over his should and it doesn't look like a purse.
Oh, that's a great idea! I think I would like a backpacky one too.

#22 ·
Hmm. I have a super newborn sling that I had made for my second born...

I realllllly want a sweet little bassinette this time. My inlaws gave me a cradle the first time i was pregnant and I used it for two babies but I never liked it much. This time I"m buying a basinette for sure...

I will be needing a new stroller probably as I've trashed my awesome jogger by barrelling through woods, creeks, and other obstacle courses over the past two years.

Um... new carseats are always nice... maybe I'll get one that is a "system" with the stroller... the Peg Perego ones are sweet.

If I can find a half decently affordable source of nice cloth diapers I think I'd give them a go this time.

Oh shoot and yes, I definetly want a realllly nice breast pump this time. (I have two other children, I need to be prepared for the odd time I might not be available for a feed).

Other than that, I"m set. Its so fun preparing for a baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.