Your pregnancy ticker: fetal age vs. LMP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you w/ pregnancy tickers in your siggies or blogs, do you use the "fetal age" (weeks since ovulation) or your LMP/"gestational age" (weeks since the 1st day of your last menstrual period)?

I think I ovulated about 2-3 weeks ago and my LMP was ~5 weeks ago, so I wasn't sure which I should use on my ticker so I can be consistent with all you other mommas!

Thanks!
#2 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 AM

i don't have a ticker, but the standard calculation of gestational age is from LMP, and that's what I see in people's tickers.
#3 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 09:53 AM

I'm going by gestational (though adjusted to account for the fact that I ovulated a week later than the "normal" cd14).

Glad to see you here, btw
#4 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 AM

:

If by my actual LMP, I'd be almost 9 weeks now, but I adjusted it to the fact that I O a week later than "normal."
#5 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 11:54 AM

I am going by LMP weeks completed. So I am due April 4, and that makes me 6 weeks 5 days by those dates (more or less), but I am 33 days pregnant. Because I have a shorter cycle, I get a few days 'credit' with the LMP. So I put my ticker on 6 weeks, because it is a 40 week ticker rather than a 38 week.

By Naegel's rule (the dates way of dating a pregnancy) you take the first day of the last menstrual period (in my case July 1). Go back three months, and add 7 days = April 7. But because my cycles are 24-25 days, I subtracted 3 days (because it's not a 28 day cycle) and got Apr 4. Some people don't use an adjusted Naegel's rule where you subtract or add days depending on their variance from a 28 day cycle, but I find it logically the most sound, and that's what I use in my cycle.

Sorry if this post is annoying, I just wanted to explain how I got to where I am. I also have a book that has a journal for everyday of pregnancy. I plotted out all 266 days of a 'typical' gestation from my date of ovulation, counting the day after as day 1, and got April 3 as my due date, so I am feeling like my dates are pretty accurate. Now when the baby actually comes is another matter altogether!!!!
#6 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for helping me out on this. I think I'll just put my ticker at 5 weeks, since my LMP was 5 weeks ago today and I'm not 100% sure when I ovulated.....although, I think my cycles usually run about 30-31 days so I may not have O'ed on CD 14. I did the Naegle's rule thing and ended up w/ a due date of April 17th. I think when I plugged my LMP into Babycenter.com's due date calculator, it came up as April 19th......so maybe I'll take the average and say April 18th?

It's good to see you here too, peacechief! I really didn't think I'd get to follow you here so soon.....but DH was totally convinced that we'd get pregnant our first month trying, so maybe he willed it into being.
#7 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 01:00 PM

I ovulated on CD 15 (July 31st)... so I am counting that as "2 weeks" and counting forward from there.

With DD, I ovulated on CD 21 - and I didn't want my dates to be too early and get pressured into an induction, so I just told the office that I didn't remember when my LMP was, but that I know that I ovulated on Oct 25, 2003 - and they should just count back 2 weeks from there. The CNM was perfectly fine with that, but the nurse helpers were all put out of joint at the thought that I didn't remember. LOL
#8 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 01:28 PM

How do you do the tickers like that?? I have regular tickers for other sites, but I'm not sure how to do the small ones like these...
#9 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburroughs
How do you do the tickers like that?? I have regular tickers for other sites, but I'm not sure how to do the small ones like these...
I don't have one but I believe you just edit your signature and type in **** and numbers for weeks and then each week edit your ticker/marker to the next spot. I think they're cool, I'm just too lazy to make one

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#10 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM

I "borrowed" mine from someone in another DDC...
this one is for someone 6 weeks along

****5***10****15****20****25****30****35 ****40

the html/smilie version (cut and paste - take out the _ after the [ and the : )

[_CENTER]****5:_heartbeat***10****15****20****25****30****3 5****40[_/CENTER]

To change your ticker every week, just put a "*" before the and delete one of the "*"'s after it. If a # is there, replace it with the . It is kind of a manual ticker - webtickers don't work in the siggy line!
#11 of 11 Old 08-14-2006, 02:51 PM

Since I am a complete air head .... i havn't made my ticker... I know the day I concieved... I was actually concidered 2 weeks pregnant the day of my transfer.... so you would think it would be a peice of cake right?

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page