Unison+ B6 for Morning Sickness? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a friend of mine whose mother was active in the litigation against Merrill Dow. He is 28 and has reduced arms...

On the other side of the court room, I had my nephew who clerked for Merrill Dow through law school. I have been lucky to have been privy to both sides of that case. No, they never lost a case, but they also learned alot from their experience with Thalidimide, which was never legally sold in this country; the FDA never approved of it. The cases that occurred in this country were from the medication brought in from other countries, as Canada and Sweden. Thalidimide was a tranquilizer, not an anti-emetic.

The evidence, ie, the deformed babies were shown with just the deformed limbs and torsos, not heads, so as not to humanize the subject and show the babies/evidence more clinically. The evidence was also triforcated, which is unheard of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2006, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Check out www.motherisk.org or call their nausea and vomitting helpline. I take 9 Diclectin a day right now, and a Zantac and gravol to limit my vomitting. Otherwise I would be hospitalized on IV's and tube feeds. I took it for DD as well. For me there isn't another choice.....But has been studied alot and found to be safe.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:03 AM

Actually bendectin/diclectin has not been shown to cause birth defects.

http://www.nvp-volumes.org/p1_16.htm
http://www.motherisk.org/women/forum...forums_id=1229

Quote:
Diclectin [bendectin] has been used in Canada for over 40 years now, first as Bendectin. Studies during those years have included over 200,000 women and all have confirmed the safety of the medication.

Diclectin is now being used by the second generation of women and will not increase the 1 percent to 3 percent baseline risk for birth defect that is present in all pregnancies.
There are also articles in Journal of the American Medical Association and the New England Journal of Medicine that I can't access online.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:41 PM

Well, I threatened to take Nytol last night (same active ingredient as Unisom) but said I would give it "one more night" of no sleep before I did. Slept like a log last night with no meds. Hubby was NOT impressed that I would even consider it but taking 1/3 of a pill ONCE is better than having me be non-functional for even one more day, risk or no risk.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 09-24-2006, 01:35 AM

Not in your DD club but doing a search on this . . .thankfully, my m/s seems to FINALLY be going away (I'm 17 weeks). I talked to my MW about my m/s since it is the worst I've ever had it. I, too, have never taken any drug at ALL during pregnancy/labor, so DH was shocked that I was even considering using Unisom if the m/s got really bad again. My MW said it was a category A drug, and it was just as harmless as B6 (which she told me to keep taking).

She suggested only 1/2 a tablet at night, and only 1 whole tablet if things were really bad.

I think I'm still too paranoid, though . . .not rational, I know. It is either coincidence (timing) or actually working, but I feel like the more sleep I get the less m/s I get. Also, while I find that drinking water while I am already sick works against me, if I can get that water in while I am OK, it seems to help. Or better, NOT water (which is normally all I drink) but things like Gatorade or something with some sugar, like a Jarrito.

2/02, 4/05, 2/07, 11/09, and EDD 12/25/11 wave.gif

User Tag List