Unison+ B6 for Morning Sickness? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here.:

I've heard about this as a remedy for morning sickness and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it or is thinking about trying it?

I'll preface this by saying that I never take anything during pregnancy, just because I'm stubborn like that about pills. I don't like to take pills even when I'm not pregnant.

But, I'm so, so miserable, mamas. I mean, really. I just cried last night because after throwing up all day, I finally managed to eat something and then I could feel the urge to throw up come back in full force.

B6 alone hasn't helped me. Nothing has helped. Nothing helped last time either. I spent 6 and a half months just puking. I don't want to go through that again! I want to LIVE!

All of the reading I've done on it says that there is no evidence that this combo has caused harm prenatally. Does anyone have contradictory info?
#2 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 04:01 PM

I know nothing ... I am just going to repeat to you what I've been reading on the boards here (This is pg#1 and so far MS is very mild )

The word on the street is that B6 slows milk production and that you should not take doses of it if you are still breastfeeding your youngest... I see she's 2 so you may or may not be! I don't even know what Unisom is!

Hopefully someone else has a better answer for you, that's all I can help you with.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#3 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM

I started taking it this week. I had HG so bad last time that I had to leave my job and I lost 10 pounds. My doctor tried everything under the sun, and nothing worked. This worked like a charm. I take the B6 in the morning and the Unisom at night before bed. This time I was desperate since I have a 2 yo to take care of. I haven't found any evidence that it is dangerous to the baby. Everything I've read so far says its okay. Of course, I want to limit how long I take it. I hope to alternate every other day with Unisom. I'm scared too, but I really don't see that I have any other choice. I can't spend the whole day sick, and we can't afford to put the little guy in day care or preschool.

Roslyn (46) Whitney (45) Luke (5/04) (boy due 5/11) 
#4 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 04:16 PM

: I have never taken anything before either but I too am getting desperate!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#5 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 PM

Not in your ddc, but b6 and unisom are available as one drug here called diclectin. It is the only thing that keeps me out of the hospital. It is the only class A drug available here from what I have been told. The only reason it was pulled in the U.S. was the drug company was afraid of lawsuits even though it is safe.

http://motherisk.org/index.jsp has lots of information. I hope you feel better soon.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 04:55 PM

I'm due in January and vitamin B6 and unisom absolutely saved me during this pregnancy! I was in bed 24/7, throwing up, dehydrated, and crying in misery. I started taking a B6 and half a unisom every night at bedtime and I stopped throwing up and started feeling better. A couple of times I ran out or forgot to take it at night and I could tell a major difference the next day. I'm also not one to take medication if I don't have to, but I was desperate and it worked. Good luck!

~ Amy

#7 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be
I know nothing ... I am just going to repeat to you what I've been reading on the boards here (This is pg#1 and so far MS is very mild )

The word on the street is that B6 slows milk production and that you should not take doses of it if you are still breastfeeding your youngest... I see she's 2 so you may or may not be! I don't even know what Unisom is!

Hopefully someone else has a better answer for you, that's all I can help you with.
Mason is almost three and we don't nurse any longer, so I'm not worried about supply, thought that's good to know in case I'm ever nursing while pg.

Unisom is an OTC sleep aid. The various websites said to use the tablet form and not the gel pill, since they have different ingredients and the gel one won't work.

My mom (gosh, I love her) just bought me some Homeopathic "Nux Vomica", so I'll try that for a couple of days to see if there's any improvement.

I'll definitely let you all know if it works!
#8 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM

I have had hyperemesis with two of my pregnancies, and let me tell you that unisom and b6 are just about the only thing that kept me out of the hospital from serious dehydration. Unisom is actually an antihistiamine, and who the heck knows why it works, LOL! It was given to women in prescription here in teh US for many years (from the 50's to the 80's) without any adverse side effects, but then in the 80s the legal climate changed and the drug co didn't want to have to defend the drug in court if it were ever sued, so they dropped it's production (I think it was also because it was a very inexpensive drug and so not profitable enough to protect) It's still prescribed in Canada, and widely used here in the states by women. I felt safe using it because I thought that it was safer for me to take it and be able to eat to nourish myself and the babe than for me to be severly dehydrated from not beign able to even keep two sips of water down.
#9 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 05:44 PM

I take it too. Although I do 6x/day (50 mg) and 1/2 dose of Unisom at night. I also take a half pill of Phenergan-that REALLY works! I was in tears and running from my class room for a week before my CNM prescribed it for me and now I "almost" feel normal. I do worry for the baby but all the research seems to say OK! So Yeah! I am just thankful something works. Good luck-I know how you feel. I still feel exhausted, but the Unisom at night helps with that-I can't take it later than 8pm and I get up at 6am. If I take it too late, I feel really groggy and crappy in the am.

I really think severe MS is related to being overtired/exhausted. I have heard of tons of working mamas/SAHM w busy, busy kids getting this and I think it is the body saying I can't do so much! So of course, if you are sick you can't do much.
#10 of 35 Old 09-15-2006, 07:13 PM

How much B6 is advisable for pregnant women with nausea? Does B6 alone help much? What dose are you taking? Thanks.
#11 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 12:46 AM

I too have taken the B6 unisom combo and it does work for me. You can take up to 100 mg of b6 a day and the unisom. You have to make sure you get the regular unisom tablets and not the sleep gels. It is an antihistimine. It made me really tired so i was taking it at night. and then a half in the morning. I swear it has kept me out of the hospital this time around. My previous pregnancy's i took zofran and that worked but this time around it doesnt (plus it is very expensive)
I HATE taken pills of any kind especially pregnant. But i felt it was the only way i coudl nourish my baby and stay out of the germ infested hospital!

If you google hyperemisis you can go the the website. It tells you what doses are safe. Your doc/midwife can too.
Good luck.
#12 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 AM

I did it with all three of mine. It really takes the edge off.

FYI it also does wonders when you have the flu.

Happy pregnancy!
#13 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 03:18 AM

I think you can take up to 100 mg of B6 but you might want to start out at lower doses (like 25 mg) and increase if it doesn't help. I think doses higher than 50mg can sometimes cause numbness/tingling/nerve probs.

Everything I've read about Unisom says it is fairly safe to use for morning sickness but as a PP said, be sure to get the regular tablets and not the gels.
It is mentioned in this article: http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pre...e/1366869.html

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#14 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa
Not in your ddc, but b6 and unisom are available as one drug here called diclectin. It is the only thing that keeps me out of the hospital. It is the only class A drug available here from what I have been told. The only reason it was pulled in the U.S. was the drug company was afraid of lawsuits even though it is safe.

http://motherisk.org/index.jsp has lots of information. I hope you feel better soon.
I heard that the drug company, Duchenney (SP?), is going into the US market and it should be available there soon. It really helps!
#15 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 11:06 AM

You always have such great info Carolynn. :

#16 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 12:57 PM

Like others have said, you have to weigh the benefits. I try to avoid taking medicine of any sort, especially while pregnant, but I am doing it this time. For me, it's either that or laying on the bathroom floor all day long, crying and pulling myself up only to heave into the toilet and being completely unable to care for my dd.
#17 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 PM

ok so i got b-6 tonight but i hadn't read to tak 25- 50 mg i got the 100mg ones i guess i can cut them in half.
i didn't get the unisom cause i am kinda scared i'd want to sleep all day! so does it work if i take it at night? how much should i take of that? i am making my dh so mad at me lol i am too sick to even walk in the kitchen, i need something to help!! should i take the b-6 in the am? or any time, maybe half in the am and half at night? thanks all i have been sick with my others but not like this

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#18 of 35 Old 09-16-2006, 10:20 PM

My dosage was 2 at night and one twice throughout the day.

#19 of 35 Old 09-17-2006, 02:18 PM

I take half a Unisom and one 25 mg B-6 before bed. Last night I discovered that I needed to take it at the same time. Typically I go to bed at 9, so I take it at 8:30. Well last night we went to Oktoberfest and didn't get home until late, and sure enough, at 9 I started feeling sick. Half a Unisom doesn't make me sleepy, but at first I was taking a whole one, and yes it does make me groggy all day.

#20 of 35 Old 09-17-2006, 08:04 PM

i was advised by my ob with my first pregnancy to take bonine (over the counter motion sickness medicine) - it worked WONDERS! it made life bearable. i have never heard of anyone else taking it and i would talk to your doctor first, but it helped a lot for me. just a note, bonine should not be confused with dramamine - it has a different active ingredient.
#21 of 35 Old 09-18-2006, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I tried it and it WORKED!

I just took one tab and 100 mg of b-6 (they're powdered capsules and I can't split them)

I totally zonked out last night, but I've hardly even thought of morning sickness today. And I've actually eaten! A lot!

I had a full bowl of oatmeal with walnuts and two pieces of whole wheat toast
A yogurt
Tons of blue corn organic chips
A veggie burger sandwhich w/more chips:

This is more than I've eaten in days. I'm so excited about dinner!
#22 of 35 Old 09-18-2006, 09:25 PM

Is anyone having really vivid dreams while on the Unisom? I haven't recalled a dream in forever, now I'm dreaming some really wild stuff. Right now I'm in a pay dispute with my publisher and I dreamed that they came to my house and kidnapped my little boy! Dh says its just because I probably haven't had REM sleep since ds was born, but its really wild.

#23 of 35 Old 09-19-2006, 06:41 PM

i actually think i read that the b-6 causes really vivid dreams! i haven't had any yet but have only been taking 50 mg so far and no unisom yet

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#24 of 35 Old 09-19-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was having some CRAZY vivid dreams before I started taking the Unisom+B6 combo.

They were so vivid, I can still remember them. A couple of times, I've waken up and needed to take a moment to orient myself.:
#25 of 35 Old 09-20-2006, 10:59 AM

Yea! I am so glad this worked for you! I know how invigorating it is to sleep during these tough months. Are you taking a whole or half Unisom?
#26 of 35 Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

A whole tab, but I think tonight I'll try a half and see if that works.

I'm just terrified of having to go through another day of knock-me-out m/s.
#27 of 35 Old 09-20-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama View Post
Unisom is an OTC sleep aid. The various websites said to use the tablet form and not the gel pill, since they have different ingredients and the gel one won't work.
Ooooh, Unisom is Nytol (same ingredients.... also very similar in chemical structure to Gravol, no wonder it works for MS!). Off to talk to my doctor (or at least the clinic) if my insomnia persists one more day!! Thank goodness this is my short week at work!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#28 of 35 Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 PM

Yes, it worked for me too! What a relief, if not with a little guilt. I don't think I would even take Unisom for insomnia if I weren't pregnant, but this nausea is just brutal! I am taking 1/2 at night and in the morning with my prenatal, which has tons of B6 in it (I'll have to look at the exact amount). But it has really helped.
#29 of 35 Old 09-20-2006, 11:49 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendectin

NOt to scare anyone, but Unisom contains the antihistamine that was in Bendectin, the drug given to pregnant women twenty years ago and taken off of the market for causing birth defects.

Bendectin also contained pyrodoxine hydrochloride (B6). The reason B6 helps your morning sickness is because it helps with your body's digestion and utilization of proteins, which combats the nausea and eases the blood glucose levels.

Bendectin was manufactured by the same drug company in Cincinnati, OH that made Thalidimide over forty years ago, Merrill-Dow. My nephew worked as a clerk on the lawsuit. He said they spent lots of $ on the case.

I say try some fresh grated ginger or rubus strigosus (red raspberry leaf) tea.
#30 of 35 Old 09-21-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caned & able View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bendectin

NOt to scare anyone, but Unisom contains the antihistamine that was in Bendectin, the drug given to pregnant women twenty years ago and taken off of the market for causing birth defects.

Bendectin also contained pyrodoxine hydrochloride (B6). The reason B6 helps your morning sickness is because it helps with your body's digestion and utilization of proteins, which combats the nausea and eases the blood glucose levels.

Bendectin was manufactured by the same drug company in Cincinnati, OH that made Thalidimide over forty years ago, Merrill-Dow. My nephew worked as a clerk on the lawsuit. He said they spent lots of $ on the case.

I say try some fresh grated ginger or rubus strigosus (red raspberry leaf) tea.
I totally hear you about being extra careful, but I did some research before trying it, and found no connection. I read that they took it off the market because it wasn't profitable because of having to defend it in court constantly, but they never actually lost a case. I agree that it's always better if you don't have to take something.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

from above:

"We conclude that there is no increase in the overall rate of major malformations after exposure to Bendectin and that the three associations found between Bendectin and individual malformations are unlikely to be causal."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page