Choosing midwife question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-20-2006, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Well I have a dilemma and need some input! I've interviewed 2 midwives. One is great. I feel 100% confidence in her, and she strictly delivers home births. The other one is OK, she'd be fine, but I didn't feel 100% comfortable with her, and she delivers only at the hospital.

Our dilemma is which to go with. Because we had a scare of bleeding last week, and I'm 44 almost 45 and this is my first child and, and, and... we are thinking of doing the hospital route, but I'm not thrilled with that midwife. If I use the other midwife it would be a homebirth (which is good) but the hospital is 30+ minutes away.

Any input anyone???

Thanks,

Debbie
#2 of 7 Old 09-20-2006, 02:02 PM

Hi Debbie! I see you are in Madison. I live about 40 minutes east of you in Watertown. As for choosing which midwife to have, I would say go with the route that makes you most comfortable. I understand your concerns about age plus this being babe #1. Other than the bleeding do you have any reason to believe that you would be unable to have a homebirth? High blood pressure, regular diabetes, some other cronic condition? I only ask because in a hospital setting I have found that when dr's and nurses start adding their two cents in that pressure for interventions multiplies, even with midwife care. I would imagine that it would be more so for you. Personally, I have done 3 hospital births, though my last one was midwife assisted, it was still very "medical". I am opting for a homebirth this time. Best of luck making your choice. I have no idea if what I said was helpful.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#3 of 7 Old 09-20-2006, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Goldiemom,

We're pretty close. I actually live in the Poynette area, about 35 miles north of Madison, but I work in Madison.

Thanks for your input. I think my gut is telling me to go with whom I feel comfortable and that's the midwife who does homebirths. It just feels right. My sister in Illinois had both of her children at home and they were great.

I am healty and don't have any pre-existing conditions.

I'm due April 15! It's getting more exciting as I'm nearing the end of the 1st trimester. I'll feel more secure with everything once I'm around 16 weeks.

See you around the site!

Debbie
#4 of 7 Old 09-20-2006, 08:55 PM

Hey my sistah!

Well, you know how I feel. I just think our society has been indoctrinated to see pregnancy and birth as a condition to be managed rather than a natural process that your body is well designed to handle and nurture along.

If, and that's really a very big if, there was a problem that needed some greater medical attention than the midwife could provide you at home, she would see that in plenty of time to get you to the hospital.

Birth is NOT like they show on TV. The reason they show it like that on TV is so there's a lot of drama!!!

You really can have your body unfold, open up and let the baby slip into the world.

Debbie you were there for DS's birth and soon after for DD's inadvertant UC. You saw how beautiful and natural it could be.

I am so glad you've figured it out for yourself. I love that you've decided to give birth at home, but mostly I'm glad that you already are so in tune with your gut and are trusting that. You are already a wonderful Mama for that alone!

I love you!

Laurie

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#5 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 AM

I would pick the one you are comfortable with, I think I would definitely avoid the hospital with your age you are already high risk and would undoubtedly end up with a mountian of interventions.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 PM

Definitely follow your comfort! 30 min away, is really not bad. Most people are 30 min from the ER. If there was something amiss, you would know in plenty of time- you know your body better than anyone else. Some bleeding in early pregnancy is not a cause for concern and does not make you high risk.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#7 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 AM

I was somewhat nervous with my HBAC--worried about all the what-ifs. Then my midwife told me that she can usually tell well in advance if a woman is going to need to transport. I also discussed this with my backup OB working with me on this birth and he concurred saying that rarely do women in labor need IMMEDIATE emergency care--there is always a little room to talk and discuss options.

I personally would not have another hospital birth. For me, I feel safer at home away from all the interventionist crap. However, that is me. You must do what you feel is best for you and your baby!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page