Nursing Mamas, How's it Going? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies, wondering how ya'll are doing. We are at 9 1/2 weeks here and plugging along. I have no pain, or irritation, revulsion, nothing, supply seems to be fine etc. However, I have noticed that his nursing has cut back some. When I was first prego he was nursing nonstop, now it seems that he is just not as interested sometimes he asks for water in the middle of the night, which is just, well, shocking. I am wondering if perhaps the taste is different or something. I am kind of hoping that he will wean on his own, I feel guilty for saying that, but I do. I do not want to push anything though. I would like to just snuggle with him sometimes, instead of always having to whip it out.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#2 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 PM

We are stilll going except I believe my supply is going down quickly. I'll be 11 weeks on Friday. I'm thikning between12-14 weeks last time it was GONE. Im getting annoyed with nursing for great lengths of time. So I am setting more limits. But she is fine with it. She is eating a ton more food.
#3 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 PM

I am not having pain or discomfort with nursing specifically, but I am so nauseous all the time that I just don't want to nurse. I am still nursing both of my youngest boys, and my 4yo is much more understanding when I tell him "Not right now"
#4 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 08:27 PM

i will be 9 weeks this weekend and i believe my supply is almost gone. ds (14 mos.) is down to nursing once or twice in a 24 hour period and sometimes gets extremely upset in the middle of the night if my letdown doesn't happen. i have been getting him to sleep at night without nursing just so i do have something for him in the middle of the night, but i am not sure how long that will last. i am surprised by how fast my supply diminished.
#5 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 09:05 PM

#6 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 09:17 PM

We ended up gradually weaning about a month after DD turned 2. I had decided that I wasn't sure about tandem nursing and so I wanted to stop nursing her well before the baby arrives so she wouldn't feel displaced. The weaning went amazingly well. I do admire those who continue to nurse and who tandem nurse.
#7 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 10:16 PM

10 weeks here and things are going pretty well now that the nausea has subsided. I am feeling pretty tender, but my supply seems okay and thankfully ds isn't nursing in the night right now. I also am kinda hoping he will wean at some point (oh, the guilt!) because I'm not sure how I feel about doing the tandem thing myself (although I totally admire those who do).

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#8 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 PM

My breasts were SO tender that I initiated the weaning process. She had been night weaned for a few months, so that's a relief. Now, I have set limits so we only nurse around sleep times. Right before a sleep and when she wakes up. (She turned 2 in May BTW) I want to faze out the waking nursing times next. She's started cutting down on the amount of time she spends nursing. It's a relief. I don't think my breasts can take much more and my supply is dropping fast.

I am flying by myself across country for my brother's wedding this weekend. I am wondering if that will be the end of our nursing. Really bittersweet.
#9 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 PM

Oh, I am 11 weeks, 2 days. If that matters.
#10 of 33 Old 09-20-2006, 11:25 PM

I'm 12 weeks and nursing is going okay, I guess. I'm sore at times and get annoyed with his frequent nursing. He's 18 months and yet is acting like a newborn and wanting to nurse all. the. time. DH said he knows the baby is in there and he doesn't want to share his milk. I wonder if my supply is dropping and he's nursing often to see if there's any more. I really want to continue and possible tandem but I hope I don't lose my milk entirely and that DS slows down a bit. I just feel touched out and irritated by his constant nursing. Oh and lately I CAN'T STAND the night nursing!! I can't sleep thru it anymore and it's painful and he keeps switching sides like a million times.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#11 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 03:56 AM

I'm 8 weeks and she is still nursing like normal, I am tender though
#12 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Drummer's wife that is my Luke as well, switching a million times yesterday and today, which now I think about it is a supply thing. So, perhaps it is that my supply is going away and he's just giving up. When he asks for water he will have nursed for a long time then he takes that sippy cup like he is about to thirst to death.

I feel very bitter sweet. On one hand I worry that I am just being influenced by society, although no one knows that I am still nursing unless I think they would be supportive. However, I also worry that I would be forcing it just because it is what I should be to be an ap mom or whatever. However, reading my "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" book this evening I see that it is very, very common for moms to wean during pregnancy. I also worry that I am going to have an emotional breakdown if he actually weans. I guess we will just take it one day at a time and not force anything.

Actually it is weird that I am talking about weaning like this as I found myself asking him to nurse several times (and him refusing) as I was hoping for a big of rest

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#13 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 AM

Still going ok here, but man am I tender. DD also does the side switching constantly. I am creaping toward 8 weeks, so I know that there is still time for supply issues. So far though she seems satisfied after each session. I hope it stays that way. I want her to be a little bigger before she weans.

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.
#14 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 10:27 AM

I am 9 weeks and ds is still nursing pretty regularly. I am not sure he is getting much milk because he seems to get frustrated and pop on and off. He doesn't seem to be nursing as much at night but still pretty freaquently. Like the op said, I kinda hope he will start weaning on his own pretty soon.
#15 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 12:39 PM

I am about 11 weeks, and my milk supply has gone down, so Ranjana has started eating a lot more. She is only 9 months old, so I am freaking out about her possibly weaning at such a young age. As someone else expressed, I would be very emotionally devastated, and feel like getting pregnant was very very selfish.

My nipples were incredibly sore, but I think it was because she started nursing about 20 times a night, and was sucking really hard. Once I started feeding her more solids, they have gradually stopped hurting so much. Now it is just a bit of an irritant.
#16 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 01:23 PM

I am 11w3d and we are still going strong here, although I think my milk is almost completely gone. Sometimes I can squeeze out a drop, sometimes nothing. DD (2.5) will often say, "Milk all gone in this one," then switch to the other side and say the same thing. She doesn't seem to be discouraged about it, though, and continues to nurse often.

I've always thought tandem nursing would be nice, but now I think I would be okay with it if she weaned. The idea of having my breasts to myself for a few months before the new baby comes sounds really heavenly.
#17 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 PM

#18 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

superkitty- I tell you I'd much rather have the mongo breasts I did the first time around than this mongo butt and hips I have gained!

Luke had a good sleep stretch then nursed at 3:30, then about 5:00 pretty well off and on until 8:30 when he got up, switching sides the whole time, and I never went back to sleep about the first nursing. I was thinking hard and heavy about weaning last night.

#19 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 PM

#20 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 05:00 PM

DD has been self-weaning but no milk supply probelms so far. I am excited we made it to a year of nursing.

Pam
#21 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 05:01 PM

My May 03 dd is still nursing and it doesn't bother me much in the daytime, but it drives me up the wall first thing in the morning when I'm waking up feeling nauseated and poorly rested.

I had a miscarriage in March of this year at 17 weeks and I was very glad that I hadn't worked to wean her around 10 weeks during that pregnancy, when I was having strong urges to do so, because having her nursing was such a comfort to me when I was grieving for the lost baby.

Now when it bothers me to have her nurse, I try to remember how grateful I was that she had not weaned before, and it does make me feel more tolerant.
#22 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 05:12 PM

#23 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 PM

I have a may 03 baby too.
#24 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 06:01 PM

that's neat that you guys can be in the same ddc twice! (if you were around here in may 03, that is).

hazel (22 months) and i are down to two nursings a day: 5am and naptime. i think i might just keep naptime until she stops napping, because i really like that one and it's the best way to get her to sleep for a nap. the 5am one will be next to go, though, and i'm hoping it won't be too tough. my original goal was to have her completely weaned around the midpoint of the pregnancy, which is about two more months, but we'll see how it goes.

i'm definitely having some discomfort--it's usually one or the other, and it switches--but it's not horrible.
#25 of 33 Old 09-21-2006, 06:23 PM

#26 of 33 Old 09-22-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I'm 12 weeks and nursing is going okay, I guess. I'm sore at times and get annoyed with his frequent nursing. He's 18 months and yet is acting like a newborn and wanting to nurse all. the. time. DH said he knows the baby is in there and he doesn't want to share his milk. I wonder if my supply is dropping and he's nursing often to see if there's any more. I really want to continue and possible tandem but I hope I don't lose my milk entirely and that DS slows down a bit. I just feel touched out and irritated by his constant nursing. Oh and lately I CAN'T STAND the night nursing!! I can't sleep thru it anymore and it's painful and he keeps switching sides like a million times.

That's exactly what I was going to write. He is 17 months and I am really hoping he weans by Thanksgiving or sooner!
#27 of 33 Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 AM

My ds is also wanting to nurse ALL the time. He also wants to fiddle with his hands while he nurses and this is driving me crazy more than anything. I am not sure why he wants to do this all the time.
#28 of 33 Old 09-23-2006, 12:50 PM

i'm 12 weeks, i think ds's patterns have changed. sometimes he's going a lot longer between nursings, other times he wants it every hour. almost every time though he wants both sides, so i think my supply is dropping.

i get tender nipples sometimes, especially with sidelying nursing for some reason??? so i really dislike having to nurse him on both sides every time he wakes up in the night (wakes 1-3 times at night). if i lie down it hurts more, but if i sit up i wake up more.

most of the time, though, nursing is comfortable. i just wish he would do it a little less often, and only do one side per session.

i am worried about whether my supply will suddenly dry up at some point - he doesn't take more than a few sips of water through a straw or sippy cup every day. i don't think it would be easy for him to suddenly need to drink more water, or for us to introduce cow milk.

editing to add: ds is 21 mo, btw. and he also wants to fiddle while nursing. he was doing this long before i got pregnant, but it's really getting on my nerves now! he needs to pinch, pull, rub, or just touch a mole that's between my breasts. every nursing session is a struggle between us for me to keep him off my mole. he'll even do it while mostly asleep with his eyes closed and no other motion in his body... one little hand will be working away to get at that mole. so it's hard for me to using nursing sessions as a time to relax and rest because i'm always on edge about this.

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
#29 of 33 Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzaluna View Post

editing to add: ds is 21 mo, btw. and he also wants to fiddle while nursing. he was doing this long before i got pregnant, but it's really getting on my nerves now! he needs to pinch, pull, rub, or just touch a mole that's between my breasts. every nursing session is a struggle between us for me to keep him off my mole. he'll even do it while mostly asleep with his eyes closed and no other motion in his body... one little hand will be working away to get at that mole. so it's hard for me to using nursing sessions as a time to relax and rest because i'm always on edge about this.
I also have a mole and ds does the exact same thing. It really drives me nuts!!! I don't understand what the facination with the mole is. He likes to scratch at it, put his finger on it, fiddle with it. Anything he can with the mole. And he gets mad if I try to keep him from playing with it. I am glad to know I am not the only one who has a dc who does this. I was thinking of having it removed, but then again I'm not sure of the procedure for it so, I probably will just leave it there for now.
#30 of 33 Old 09-23-2006, 01:40 PM

I also have a mole that dd LOVES to play with when nursing! It really is extremely annoying. She also nurses both sides, like to pinch and grab at the nipple and all manner of other things that just set my teeth on edge. Mostly it bothers me when I am tired and just want her to go to sleep!

Goldie, Mom to 5 my kiddos and forever loving on my fantabulous dh John.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page