I think I may be having a miscarriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2006, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am about 7 1/2 weeks. When I went to the bathroom to pee this morning, I noticed some red on the tissue already in there (I used the toilet in the night, and didn't flush, sorry, TMI!). When I wiped, there was a big stain of brown. I've had brown stains all day long, and enough to wear a pantyliner. However, it's not increasing, it's always brown, and I've not had to replace the pantyliner. I still feel nausea off and on, and am quite tired. I'm not having any cramping, at least none that I can tell. I am usually very aware of my body, and can tell when AF is coming on, due to cramps.

I had a really busy day yesterday, and am under a bit of emotional stress (am having to put down my old horse, who is very sick. I've had him for 20 years, so he's been my friend for quite awhile. I had a pretty good cry this afternoon.)

Is it possible that I am not miscarrying, that I just overdid it yesterday? I feel so weepy and emotional. Don't know what I need, but ahhhhh! I need something!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 PM

I pray everything is okay. I think you should get checked out, but a lot of women have at least some spotting. Have you had an exam or intercourse lately? With my first pregnancy, I spotted after sex every once in a while.

I hope all is well. ((HUGS))
Old 09-21-2006, 12:17 AM

Brown spotting isn't cause for alarm... though I'm sure that is easier said than lived. Brown blood is old blood and red blood is fresh... but even red blood doesn't necessarily mean miscarriage.

You should certainly contact your midwife or doc if you need reassurance that all is well.

I saw this in new posts and thought I'd reply since it's late and you might need an extra hug and reassurance.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:29 AM

It sounds like you just need to slow down, put your feet up, get some rest. Many mama's spot in early pregnancy. I would be worried if you were cramping really bad and losing a lot of bright blood. If you are stressed about it call your care provider. hope it's nothing.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 AM

It could be dehydration. I went on a road trip and was so weak and dehydrated by the time I got there I was spotting red and sure I was losing the baby. I called a midwife, she told me to drink 2 liters of water a day, if I drank anything with sugar it did not count and I had to drink more water to replace it. That and some Vit E and Vit C aith Bioflavinoids have got it stopped and the baby is just fine
Old 09-21-2006, 11:31 AM

I am hoping you just over did it. I thought brown blood was not a sign of miscarrage.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM

Brown blood is not a big cause for concern, especially if you are not cramping. Call your doctor or midwife, get in bed, drink lots of water, and try to relax.

I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!
Old 09-21-2006, 11:58 AM

gardenmommy,

Last week I spotted in the afternoon and at night I had a lot of red, fresh blood. We were very scared. We visted a dr. the next day, heard a heartbeat, even did an us and there was baby, heart going, etc. Dr. thought it was from sex the night before.

Go to the midwife or dr. 7 1/2 weeks is a little early for a doppler to pick up a heartbeat, but you could do an us. It seems to me that if it is a miscarriage it would be much fresher blood, more of it, and probably something in addition to blood.

You had a rough, emotional day. Be good to yourself.

I'm thinking of you.

Debbie
Old 09-21-2006, 01:11 PM

I just spotted all day Sunday, started off bright red and scary, but it was directly after a little morning bout of entertainment. :

My midwife wasn't worried. I wasn't worried (in theaory, of course you freak out when you see blood even if you know it's normal...)

Done by bedtime, and fine since.

Sorry I don't have any explanation, I just wanted to share my story too!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:35 PM

Brown blood is definitely not cause for alarm. But yes, for your own peace of mind, contact your midwife.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your kind, reassuring replies! I appreciate them. I am continuing to spot, but not very much. Not really crampy, either. I haven't contacted my midwife for this baby yet, but I am going to try to get hold of her today.

I tried to take it a little bit slower yesterday afternoon, and so far today. Not as easy as it sounds with 3 children needing attention! And a dirty house that needs cleaning, and laundry, and tomatoes that need canning, and... and... and...! My Dh is very sweet, and is trying to help out where he can. Such a good man!
Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM

Best wishes for you. Put your feet up and rest- even if it's nothing you've got an excellent excuse to take it easy. If this child is meant for this world, nothing will stand in its way.
Your baby is MUCH more important than your tomatoes and your laundry, and a little too much TV for a couple of days won't hurt your kiddos.
I know what you're going through, as I've done it MANY TIMES. I have uterine fibroids, which are fairly common, and in the 7-9 week period of pregnancy, when your estrogen jolts, they grow and cause bleeding. It is always scary to me. It could be something as simple as that.

Just your typical non-theistic, liberal, blended family.

Thank you, Mothering, for the past twelve years of support and community. I look forward to many more.
rocks.jpggrouphug.gif

Old 09-21-2006, 06:00 PM

Hope you get ahold of your mw for your own peace of mind. I agree with the ladies doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about as of yet, but any bleeding makes us paranoid. I had a bit after some intercourse that lasted about a week. Relaxing is just not as easy as it sounds.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 PM

I hope all is well! It doesn't sound like a miscarriage but I can certainly understand why you'd be concerned.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:58 PM

I hope you're feeling better. I had a little bit of spotting last month, but had some more obvious spotting this morning. It has tapered off now, but my nurse told me to just relax today and do as little as possible. She told me that as long as I am not cramping (and she said it would be obvious, painful cramping, not little twinges which are normal) that it is not unusual. I just never had it before with DS so it sure is alarming to see.

I have a friend who knew women who bled through pads for their entire pregnancies. I can't imagine that kind of stress!
Old 09-22-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't heard back from my midwife (left a message first thing this morning). I am strongly suspecting a miscarriage. I went to the bathroom in the night, and when I wiped, there was quite a bit of bright red on the TP. Had a few cramps, nothing much. There was a bit of brown spotting this morning when I got up, but nothing since. I had a M/C between my first and second children, and it went sort of like this is going. Having said that, though, at this point, I just really don't know what to think. It seems to be a wait-and-see sort of situation just now.

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I think I've resigned myself to losing this baby. I am sad, but am ok. I feel like if the babe is meant to be, then it will be ok. If not, there isn't really anything I can do to prevent an early M/C. I had a good cry over it the other night, and felt much more at peace afterwards.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 PM

Really hoping you hear soon mama! Praying for you!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 PM

: for you.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm sorry Mama that you are going through this. Best sticky baby wishes to you.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:13 AM

Sending sticky vibes your way mama...

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
Old 09-23-2006, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I think my midwife is out for the weekend; her father is not in the best of health, so she sometimes visits him (he's a few hours away). I can't find her cell number, so I am just playing the waiting game. Nothing new, but still have brown blood. No more fresh, and no more cramps (only had a few the other day, after a BM, sorry, TMI).
Old 09-23-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

So, if I'm having a M/C, why do I still feel so yucky? Like I'm about to throw up, but never do?
Old 09-23-2006, 11:01 PM

Hopefully that's a good sign! You are in my thoughts mama...

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM

I hope that everything is ok. I spotted during my pregnancy and it was very scary.

I am hoping it's just some wacky false alarm like it was for me.

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 09-23-2006, 11:29 PM

Gardenmommy, I'm still not convinced you are having a m/c. Absolutely you know your own body, but I had spotting on Friday as well that started out red and faded to brown and now nothing. I had no cramping and still have nausea and m/s.

Even though you said your m/c went like this, maybe it looks like that, but it isn't. I really, really hope that it isn't. I wish you could get hold of your m/w.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:46 AM

Still checking this thread and hoping, hoping, hoping that your babe is fine....
Old 09-24-2006, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovingmama View Post
Still checking this thread and hoping, hoping, hoping that your babe is fine....
me too!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 09-24-2006, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to try to get hold of my midwife again this afternoon. I haven't actually seen her yet for this preg., as I was going to wait until a little farther in. I would like to talk to her, and hear her opinion about the situation.

At this point, I just really don't know what to think. On the one hand, I keep seeing spotting, mostly brown, not very much. On the other hand, I still have that yucky feeling I've had most of this preg., it's really uncomfortable when my toddler nurses, and I'm still tired.

Not sure where you all stand religiously, so don't take offense if you aren't, please. I feel very much at peace, that this baby is in God's hand, and the outcome is in His good plan. I am not going to pray for the baby to not to pass, because what if there is a reason for the M/C? There is so much that I cannot see and do not know about life, that is beyond my understanding. I will not pray for a M/C, either, because, of course, I *really do* want to keep this baby. What will be, will be, and I can't do anything really one way or the other.

I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you updated as I know more.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 PM

me too! You r in my prayers! I am so happy you feel at peace. I think all things work out according to His plan too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovingmama View Post
Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
Not sure where you all stand religiously, so don't take offense if you aren't, please. I feel very much at peace, that this baby is in God's hand, and the outcome is in His good plan. I am not going to pray for the baby to not to pass, because what if there is a reason for the M/C? There is so much that I cannot see and do not know about life, that is beyond my understanding. I will not pray for a M/C, either, because, of course, I *really do* want to keep this baby.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy View Post
What will be, will be, and I can't do anything really one way or the other.

I really appreciate your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep you updated as I know more.
: is what we can and will do. mama.

User Tag List