Exercising Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, are you mamas staying active? This pregnancy I feel just so much better I am trying to stay a lot more active, I figure it is easier to get in this pattern now before I become a beached whale (and hope to maybe only gain 40 lbs instead of the 55 I gained last time )

Right now I am just doing this that and the other. Taking walks with Luke. Doing different classes at the gym, Last week I took aerobic dance and Tai Chi, I really enjoyed both. Last night I just did various cardio equipment, probably for about 45 min. I did some weight machines as well.

I was talkign to the owner of the gym about target heartrate and he said I shouldn't go higher than about 135. That seemed right to me as when I was on the stair stepper and I started going above that I felt the need to slow down, I wasn't panting or anything, just felt perhpas it was too much, Anyone know more about this? I am thinking perhaps I should get a heartrate monitor for when I am doing aerobic classes where I cannot easily tell my heartrate.

Also, about lifting weights, what do you ladies think? Last time I just abandoned my weight lifting- for one I had spotting early on and got panicky and then another I just didn't feel as well, mainly I just tried to keep with walking, well since then I never reestablished a routine and I miss it. However, I am thinking this probably isn't the best time. But also I am thinking that doing some exercises likely will be okay, ie, working the arms and such, any opinions?

I am curious as to everyone else's routines and exercises as well. I really loved the Tai Chi class and think I will for sure try to do that weekly, I want to do some formal exercise at least 3 x a week and then trying to walk and such most everyday (no set distance, Luke and I just wander around). I would love to do Yoga as well, but the Yoga place isn't open anymore, and the closest I know of is about 45 min away, with no childcare. Plus, with the gym membership I am already paying a chunk and if I do outside Tai Chi classes (with the gym and the daycare and dh's work schedule I can only take it at my gym once every 2 weeks) anyway it all adds up.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#2 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 AM

I'm trying to stay active as well. We went to the gym 5 days per week before I got pregnant, but haven't been in a few weeks because I felt so icky most nights. But now I'm feeling better we will be back to the gym again.

We go to the local YMCA, so for our membership fee there is a lot of stuff offered. I can take yoga, aerobics, pilates, prenatal water excercise, plus the machines and weights.

I will probably stick to the eliptical machine while I have my balance, yoga class, and the prenatal water class. I have heard that lifting weights is fine if you are careful not to strain too hard. I would definately stick to the lower weights and be careful of position (weight machines might be safer since the help keep proper posture).

With the heartrate, I've heard 140 is a max target. For me, that might be only getting halfway up the stairs at my house. I think if you pay attention to your body, and stop before it start giving you the warning signs, then you will be perfectly fine.

Have fun and stay healthy!

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#3 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 10:37 AM

I walk and do yoga, well usually I do but this weeks sinus infection has kicked my butt
#4 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 10:55 AM

I was reallllly into my fitness routine before I got pregnant, and as much as I planned to keep it up, it has somehow fallen to the wayside and I am starting to feel a little rotten about the weight I am gaining.

So anyways, I have decided to start it back up. I will at the very least get a walk in every day, and really try my hardest to get to the gym 3 times a week. I am considering 'upgrading' my gym membership from my local Y, which doesn't even have a pool, to a nicer club that has one, plus a lot more equipment. But even if I stay at the Y, I can use the elipticals, steppers, and recumbant bikes and feel quite safe.

Half my reason for stopping working out is that I have felt like crap. The other half is that I have felt very paranoid about miscarriage, since I had one just before getting pregnant this time. But now that I'm almost 10 weeks and I've heard the heartbeat, I'm not so edgy. Time to get back in shape.
#5 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Just got back from vacation, where I was pretty active (tent camping requires it). My gym membership won't start up again until October 1 (we can take a month off each year--saves a bundle of money that can go into vacation). When it does, I'll be back in the pool and on the treadmill.

I must stay active to keep my fibromyalgia and hypermobility from making me absolutely miserable. I do lots of warm water hydrotherapy and recumbent cycling. Lately, I've done some treadmill walking, too, though I'll start walking outside now that the weather has cooled off. Once I start showing, I'll join the prenatal water exercise class. Yippee!

Today, it's off to Monticello for hiking/rambling around. I suppose I should go get some clothes on.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#6 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM

usually it's yoga and swimming for me, but i haven't done either for about a month, since i started feeling sick and exhausted. i'm starting to feel better now, though, and am hoping to get back into a routine soon--i just feel so much more sluggish when i don't move (not counting carrying my toddler up hills and the like, ha).

*j
#7 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 12:57 PM

[Quote]Once I start showing, I'll join the prenatal water exercise class. Yippee![\Quote]

I looked into these classes at my local rec center and they are offered at 7:30-8:45pm! Doesn't anyone else think that that's a little LATE to be keeping a pregnant lady out?! Maybe I'll be less tired in the second trimester but sheesh, I'm in BED by 9pm, I don't want to be trying to "come down" from a workout for two hours and not get to be until 11pm!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#8 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 PM

I've been riding my bike a couple miles a few times a week and doing pilates when I can think to.
#9 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM

I used to be a runner but did not keep it up between pregnancies. So I am sticking with walking throughout the pregnancy. On some days, I just don't feel good enough to walk. But I'm hoping to be more regular about it as my nausea and fatigue subside. Plus, I know my dog will appreciate it!
#10 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 02:06 PM

I'm not overweight and eat very healthy but am completely sedentary. Getting into any kind of exercise routine is so very hard for me. I am prone to developing trigger points in muscles and it seems like any time I start trying to exercise I set off a week's worth of muscle pains (and not the good, 'ooh, i worked out and feel the burn pains.) There might just be a hurdle that I have to get over but pregnancy might not be the best time to get over it. I'm kicking my butt for not forcing myself to be more active before.

Any suggestions on what to try? I need something that would increase my activity but not be too strenous. I've thought maybe I should just start walking lightly on the treadmill that is gathering dust in our bedroom.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#11 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 02:11 PM

serenitii, what kind of exercise are you doing mostly? If a lot of stuff makes you sore I would recommend a regular program of vigorous walking and light stretching. If walking is giving you soreness, you should probably see a chiropodist about getting fitted for some custom orthodics. Mine do wonders for my alignment, which does wonders for general achiness.
#12 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 PM

ok, I weighed this morning and I have gained about 4lbs. I guess it is all the junk food I have been eating. I have adversions to everything else.
I told my mother about it and she told me I didn't need to gain as much weight as I did the last time which was about 40-43lbs. She thinks I should keep it around 25-30lbs but I sure am not planning on keeping it around 25lbs. More like 30-35lbs. Anyway, I used to run but then the nausea kept me from doing that or anything for that matter. I will start walking as soon as this stupid cold clears up. I may even look into going on some hikes this fall.
#13 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 04:35 PM

I have been very active up until getting pregnant. In fact, I did manual labor the first 2 weeks, when I didn'y know. I went on a 5 day backpacing trip in the first month. I used to always go to spinning class at the gym. (That's this high intensity stationary bike class- lots of funn, and a killer workout...If you don't feel like puking all the time...) I would do cardio at the gym 5-6 days a week for 45 min to an hour. Then, about a month after conception, I couldn't do anything. I work all day long, and all I can do when I get home is lie on the couch. It's been terrible for my self esteem!
I am feeling better lately, not quite a tired, and not as easily nausous. (Is that O.K, I started feeling a little better at 10 weeks...) I want to work out more. I haven't told many people, so I'm not taking the prenatal classes yet.
When it has felt OK, I really like the eliptical machine now. I always liked it before, but now I take it a lot slower. I'm pretty good at getting myself into an excersice routine, so I hope I can reestablish it.

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

#14 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 05:27 PM

I'm still doing pretty well, not nearly as much as I did before I found out I was pg but I worked really hard then
over the past 2yrs I've lost 70lbs so I"m in good shape starting out and planning on being active all the way through
I used to work out 6x a week 5x cardio 3-4x weights
now I do 5x a week 4 days cardio 3 days weights my lowest weights and less sets/reps but still doing it to keep strong and the cardio I just do slower for longer time or faster for shorter time
its been tough but I'm trying to work it out!

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#15 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 05:56 PM

Man, oh, man.

I was running seriously until I started to feel sick. The day I found out I was pregnant I ran ten miles!

Sad to say, I have barely run at all since then (except for the Hood To Coast, which I had to do) I haven't been the the gym and haven't even been rock climbing, though I think I'll climb on my woody tonight for a little while, 'cept now I have pansy hands and it will hurt. I was going to go to a class last Monday, but was delayed by a "discussion" with the hubby so didn't make it. I was really looking forward to starting up again this week.

I'm going to start running again, slowly, either tonight (depending on how much I puke before then) or tomorrow morning. The paradox is that I feel so much better after a good run or climbing session but I just can't get myself to do it! It feels like I have to start all over from scratch!

I'm not worried so much about weight gain, but just about feeling healthy and being ready for a great homebirth! Plus, exercise is great for the libido.....:
#16 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, such a great variety of things everyone is doing, I am kind of jealous! Oh, and I feel sympathy for you mamas feeling like crap, I was so there last time. In the best shape of my life and bam---

serenitti= I would highly suggest a beginners/relaxation/prego yoga class. It should definitely not be strenous and a good teacher would not push you to pain and will be able to help you figure out what is going on with muscle pains and what to do about them.

Today Luke and I had the absolute best time. We took a big adventure. It was kind of sprinkling here and nice and cool. So we took of on a walk. On the way we were joined my 2 dogs and a cat, which Luke of course Loved. We meandered along the old road, picked flowers and then hid out under a tree when the sky really opened up. Then I got a kick butt workout on the way back as he never wants to walk back and I end up carrying him. We were out for about 2 hrs.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#17 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and I told dh we are going to go hiking Sunday! Let's hope that pans out and I'm feeling good.

Nichole= My libido has been up here as well, maybe that's why!

#18 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Wow, such a great variety of things everyone is doing, I am kind of jealous! Oh, and I feel sympathy for you mamas feeling like crap, I was so there last time. In the best shape of my life and bam---

serenitti= I would highly suggest a beginners/relaxation/prego yoga class. It should definitely not be strenous and a good teacher would not push you to pain and will be able to help you figure out what is going on with muscle pains and what to do about them.

Today Luke and I had the absolute best time. We took a big adventure. It was kind of sprinkling here and nice and cool. So we took of on a walk. On the way we were joined my 2 dogs and a cat, which Luke of course Loved. We meandered along the old road, picked flowers and then hid out under a tree when the sky really opened up. Then I got a kick butt workout on the way back as he never wants to walk back and I end up carrying him. We were out for about 2 hrs.
That sounds awesome.

I just got back from taking Peanut for a walk. It was nice but very windy.

grapejuicemama- I think that is what I need to focus on being healthy for the baby and not worring about weight gain. I wasn't until my mother made her comment. I shouldn't worry about what she says though. Thanks for reminding me of what is MOST important
#19 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

It is better to focus on being healthy! It is hard though when everyone pushes that to be you musn't gain over so many pounds. I have a feeling I am just one of those women to gain more. I have already gained 5-6 pounds at 9.5 weeks here. My friend gained like 20 lbs last time, never exercised a bit. Here I exercised at least some pretty much the whole time - although not very strenous- I at least stayed moving when at all possible. However, I have a hearty appetitie and my body holds onto the calories.

#20 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM

Serenitii, do you have CMP? I find that warm water therapy is the best exercise I can get. I started with prescribed physical therapy and kept it up at a local gym with an arthritis pool. The PT place does offer extended (and not super pricey) plans for patients to continue using the facilities after the treatment phase is over, but I already had a gym membership. Even plain old warm water walking is beneficial.

I do modified trigger point therapy in the hot tub, though I'm told I'll have to give that up now. I find a strong jet and aim at at a back/pelvis trigger point until the point "turns off". The effect lasts for anywhere from a few hours to a few days and I can tell instantly if it won't work that day (ie, it will cause more problems).

If I walk on the treadmill or do recumbent cycling, I always follow it up with at least 15 minutes in the warm water pool. And whatever exercise I do there is followed by a good long float on my back. Just floating. It's heavenly.

I have some neck/lower back problems that aren't related to CMP or fibromyalgia or hypermobility. I'm thinking of seeing the doc my husband goes to for occupational/yoga injuries. He does manipulative therapy, but is an MD. Very cool guy.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#21 of 23 Old 09-22-2006, 10:12 PM

wanderinggypsy: Right now, I'm mostly sitting on my butt. I've tried doing some stretches and very light arm workouts but everything seems to end up triggering muscle pain.

crunchy_mama: I just ordered a few prenatal yoga tapes. Maybe starting lightly at home will be a good start. Thanks for suggestion.

jocelyndale: The muscle pains I get started in college and have continued on and off for years. A doctor once told me I had Fibromyalgia, but I don't really think that I do -- with all the reading I've done, I think it is more likely CMP, since I just have trigger point pain. I have gotten really good at managing it to the point where it rarely bothers me by doing trigger point massage myself or getting hubby to do it. (I stumbled upon a good book called "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Claire Davies which has been awesome at helping me figure out what points were causing what muscles to hurt.) But... many of my chronic sore spots seem to have flared up a bit again over the past few days (after a few atttempts of light stretching and exercise.) So - mostly, I've figured out how to manage the pain when I'm sedentary but haven't figured out how to deal with it after exercise, or more importantly how to prevent it after exercise. I'm not sure if we have any warm water therapy pools in our area or not but I have used nice, long warm showers to some extent. Maybe even doing that after exercise might help.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#22 of 23 Old 09-23-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinggypsy View Post
I was reallllly into my fitness routine before I got pregnant, and as much as I planned to keep it up, it has somehow fallen to the wayside and I am starting to feel a little rotten about the weight I am gaining.
Yeah that I got into the habit of feeling a bit crappy and really just not feeling like exercising (and unfortunately have stacked on the weight - no baby belly yet but I look like I might be carrying twins in my thighs :b). I'm going to start walking in the mornings, starting tomorrow. Luckily for me we're coming into summer over here so it's easy for me to get up at 6 before I need to get the kids ready for school etc and do it then.
#23 of 23 Old 09-23-2006, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mezzydotes= I have been exercising here- luckily feeling good- and I still look like I am carrying twins in my thighs, they are unreal

It sounds like you have a plan that is going to work for you! The thought of waking up at 6 sounds dreadful to me though-

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page