Isn't this weird? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was pregnant w/ ds there was a lady in MS who was 8 mos pregnant and murdered and her baby stolen from her womb. Some of you may remember this story. I think her name was Bobbie Jo and the little baby was found alive and returned to her daddy. Now here I am incubating #2 and a newborn is kidnapped from her mother and then another pregnant lady is murdered and her baby stolen. The little baby was stillborn or at least that is what the article says. These are such sad a devestating stories. I just think it is odd that they seem to be happening more during my pregnancies. I know it is just a coicidence but goodness.

here is the article : http://www.comcast.net/news/national...cvqh=itn_fetus
#2 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Banned

Ugh, bad timing for your pregnant emotions! That is wierd. I wonder if any other cases have occurred and just not registered the same attention... those poor mamas, babies, and dadies, and poor women who must need a lot of help....
#3 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 05:59 PM

That is just so, so sick and fills me with anger and sadness.

Unfortunately, pregnant women are statistically at a higher risk for violence and murder than other women.

Just when you think we should be safest.........:
#4 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama View Post
That is just so, so sick and fills me with anger and sadness.

Unfortunately, pregnant women are statistically at a higher risk for violence and murder than other women.

Just when you think we should be safest.........:
This is unfortunately very true. I am working on a case at work where the husband killed his 8-month pregnant wife. I have had to do a lot of research and have discovered not only the above statistic (pregnant women are at increased risk of homicide and domestic violence) but also case after case after case of men who kill their pregnant wives/girlfriends/lovers. It is sooo disturbing.
#5 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

The stories make me feel so sad and scared. I don't understand it. Why? Why would anyone want to harm a pregnant woman and her baby especially the fathers? I did not realize pregnant women were at a higher risk for homocide and domestic violence. That is awful : I wonder what triggers people to behave in such ways.

I wondered if the stories I posted about seemed to stand out more because of me being pregnant during the times they occur. However, it seems to me that such stories would always stand out regardless of being pregnant or not. I mean who will ever forget Lacy Peterson and baby Connor?

I did not mean to start such a morbid thread. It was just something that has been bothering me.
#6 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005 View Post
The stories make me feel so sad and scared. I don't understand it. Why? Why would anyone want to harm a pregnant woman and her baby especially the fathers? I did not realize pregnant women were at a higher risk for homocide and domestic violence. That is awful : I wonder what triggers people to behave in such ways.

I wondered if the stories I posted about seemed to stand out more because of me being pregnant during the times they occur. However, it seems to me that such stories would always stand out regardless of being pregnant or not. I mean who will ever forget Lacy Peterson and baby Connor?

I did not mean to start such a morbid thread. It was just something that has been bothering me.

It has been on my mind too. The front page of our local paper has one such story on its cover today. From what I have read, it often has to do with the male partner's feelings of control, possession, fear and domination -- themes that are unfortunately present in many relationships even absent pregnancy. For violent men, the pregnancy seems to put them over the edge. So if he was beating her/controlling her/felt possessive when she wasn't pregnant, these things are just amplified when she is pregnant.

I agree though -- it seems counterintuitive and is a tragic irony. I wish our culture was less violent, I wish sexism did not exist, I wish women were not viewed as possessions by many men, and I wish domestic violence (against women and children and men) simply didn't exist. I tie it all back to sexism coupled with the violence in our culture. When both of those things become less acceptable/tolerated, our culture will be a safer place for pregnant women. Until then, I will fight against violence and sexism and be thankful I am married to a man who sees me as a human being first, a sex second, and always as an equal.
#7 of 7 Old 09-22-2006, 06:56 PM

I was thinking about this as well. The case last week was only about an hour or so away from me. It makes you think about who you talk to that's for sure. It makes me much more paranoid if someone was to come a knocking.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page