my dr. called :-( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He was calling because my midwife requested my recent bloodwork and pap results...and he wanted to 'forewarn' me and express his dissapointment that I've requested midwife care.

Long story. My experience with ds #1 at the clinic was fine, but of course, there's always things you'd like to improve upon(the clinic was 3 dr's sharing patient care at the obstetrics unit at the hospital, the first time around I continually saw the other 2 dr's, I didn't even see my own but once, and he didn't birth my baby either). I've always wanted to have midwife care, since I was a little girl, and from the research I've done with low-risk pregnancies midwives are often the safer choice, as they avoid the 'cascade effect' intervention. So far I've been thrilled with the care, attention and time I've recieved, and as I've mentioned before I love my midwife and am really comfortable.

My dr. said he couldn't 'refer' me in good conscious becasue he had safety concerns that he felt at least he should warn me about. He said the midwife team decided to practice independantly rather than cooperatively with the local dr's, they came in fast without much warning to the community-(he said practicing only for 6 months here now, wrong, it's been a good year now and he knows that) and that there'd been several causes for concerns, including a recent case-(which I know about through the small-comunity grapevine- an expectant mom lost her baby days before her due date for an unknown reason but as far as I understand it was not preventable b/c everything was fine and healthy up to that point- AND a similar thing happened to my cousin who was under high-risk care, she also lost her baby) He questioned my reasoning, and offered his services for both homebirth and a more tailored prenatal care- and suggested I do my research both with the hospital and with the midwives, asking for references.

I'm dissapointed. I'm not planning on switching solely on his request, but of course I'm going to be less relaxed and more on gaurd. The other thing is, I don't really believe him. I think he feels he's losing a patient, thus losing money (he 'delights in the obstetrical care'), and is trying to manipulate me to coming back to him using fear and alarmist tactics. Now, I've got a good head on my shoulders, and I've done quite a bit of reseach which only confirms my decision to go with midwife care. I guess the question is, 'is there something wrong with THIS midwife practice?'. Even still, I highly doubt I am in danger. I'm dissapointed that now it's a tug-of-war, rather than, ' I think that's a reasonable choice. As your doctor I support you and look forward to seeing you back, and welcome you back at any time'

So this means I'm responsible to take his medical package to the midwives personally, which isn't a big deal. But it also means our relationship is more strained, which is too bad. Despite this, I'm pretty determined to stick to my guns and not be pressured against my will, I've been trying to be more assertive the last year.

Any thoughts? Any concerns with midwives, based on experience?

note: in ontario, canada, midwives are fully funded and have to be registered as a midwife, which means certain training and standards. They are gaining in popularity, and often unattainable because of demand, yet there remains a certain amount of animosity between them and the medical community.

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#2 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

I called my midwife after I posted, I wanted to inform her and I had another question. She was surprised it was this paticular doctor who was trying to dissuade me, she said generally they have a pretty good working relationship at the hospital, but they're only met a few times. She was optimistic especially as I was confidant I would be staying with her, saying things like, 'well, we'll just show him he's wrong, when you have an ideal delivery and glowing baby...'.

She expressed some concern over the way he was portraying the clinic- suggesting he was getting slanderous. She disagreed with the 'independant' set-up, saying they were always trying to cooperate with the medical community here, and that he was totally wrong about this. She said he wasn't likely refferrring to the case I referred to- the stillborn- because of what had actually happened (implying it was no-fault, I didn't ask for detail). She did give him the benefit of the doubt, saying he seemed to have received some misinformation and maybe we could 'educate' him and he wouldn't be so vehemently opposed to their practice. She also mentioned (for those familiar with muskoka) that of the 3 hospitals they have privileges at, this paticular one was the most resistant to their practice, and this town in general, Bracebridge/Gravenhurst has a long history of strong resistance to midwife practice. Strange.

Of course, we agreed to talk more about it at our next meeting. Of course, I will be talking to other clients of theirs I know of, and actually asking at the hospital. I may also phone my dr. back and ask for more paticulars and details. To clarify a few things with him, he expressed his concern with this paticular clinic, but never did he say, 'I think midwifery is great/ok in general'. In fact, he's always reserved comment whenever I've brought it up, and he's questioned my reasons for wanting it.

I'm not really reconsidering until I find a good reason to. If I discover unsafe practice, of course, I will return to my good dr. My dr. is also an ob/gyn, not a gp, so he definately is in the specialty field, which isn't really needed for me. But if I don't, I'm firmly committed to this midwife practice, and midwifery in general.

A

Amanda; mama to: Axel (Dec/04), Evangeline (Apr/07) and Ramsey, (Feb/09) born unassisted! Jethro Vader (Apr/11) and #5 due April 2014. 
#3 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM

I don't really know much about the care you would recieve over where you are but i've had mw for all my antenatal care with my 3 lo's (its actually the norm here) and birthed all my lo's at home, mw's are trained in child birth and anything pregnancy related so i don't see why there would be a problem haveing mw care rather than dr

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 07:09 PM

Wow, that is bizarre. I wouldn't know what to think! I think I would go by my gut and definitely talk to some other mamas and find out more details aobut the supposed case. I would say that he is probably just blowing hot air.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#5 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 07:25 PM

I think that is the response from most Drs- I have had experience with both in favor and those definitely against homebirth. I have been told by a dr. that they are strongly against homebirth because of all the potential germs/infection possible. Which is dumb, because babies are immune to the surroundings they have grown in- i.e. your home.
Also, if there have been babies that have died in-utero, it doesn't have anything to do with the mw- typically in those cases there is nothing anyone can do- dr. or mw.
I think the only cause for concern would be if there has been any deaths during/after delivery.
Your dr. sounds defensive- I'm sure he's nice, most of them are, but ob's are trained in all the things that can go wrong-- of course it's scary to them, they have studied how scary it can be! But mw's have studied normal birth and how wonderful and simple it can be.
My theory is:
When bank people are trained to look for counterfeit money, they are shown genuine bills over and over and over. So when something counterfeit comes up they recognize it right away- "it's not normal", so if a mw is around normal all the time, won't she be more likely to recognize when something is not normal? Then we can use the experts.
Good luck!

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#6 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 08:07 PM

As an Ontario midwife, I can tell you that many OBs and family docs are not comfortable with midwives. I have had my clients called by their docs with an attempt to persuade them back to medical care. What you describe *does* border on slander. It's great that you are being so open with your midwife.

The research on Ontario midwives is that they are safer than other health care providers, plain and simple (for the same low-risk population). This research was sponsored by the Ontario gov't after pressure to PROVE midwifery was safe. The report is publicly available, but I'm not sure where.

You can call the College of Midwives of Ontario and enquire about complaints and actions against the midwives you have hired; they are obligated to provide this information.

Go with your gut. To me, your MD sounds threatened and protective of his territory. Many midwives are young women, and many physicians are uncomfortable with that, too.

I suspect, that like in my community, midwives in your community are extremely closely watched and under tremendous scrutiny. If they hold hospital privileges, they are also under the microscope. It sounds like your midwives are holding up well under that scrutiny, which speaks to their integrity and that there have been no serious problems.

Go with your gut, and do your research. It is important that you get real facts and not emotions. If I hear one more "I'm not *comfortable* with midwives from a health *professional*...

Good luck and I hope you find peace with whatever decision you make.
#7 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM

I am glad to hear that Carolyn is in Canada, I was hoping you would pop in on this.
Your doctor sounds very manipulative, and for that reason alone, I could no longer respect him as my health care provide in any circumstance. If he will stoop to manipulation now, what will he resort to if he feels he is loosing power in a birthing situation.
You have been given good information here. I hope you find peace.
#8 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 PM

My ob/gyn tried the same thing. Well, both of them did, since my first two pregnancies I had dual care because I *thought* I needed some of the routine tests and ultrasound.

Anyway, when I cancelled care with each of them, they gave me the "concerned" routine and "safety" routine. Luckily for me and my babies, I was educated about homebirth, so never felt even close to persuaded.

I think it's really just ignorance due to the way they are trained to view birth. Most of the time, I think they want what's best for us, they're just not open to the thought that maybe they aren't what's best for us.

This time, I didn't even want to deal with it, so no ob/gyn or testing.
#9 of 12 Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

In response to CarolynMarilyn:
Thanks so much for your response, it means a lot that you are both from Ontario and a midwife! It's helpful to have ANOTHER midwife's opinion on this besides my own. Thanks for the info about inquiring about complaints; especially if I find some local complaints will I pursue this.
However, I'm really not expecting to find any complaints. Mostly I'm dissapointed this relationship with my doctor came to this point...I wish he'd never made the call!
Thanks again, your insight is very appreciated!
A

#10 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 05:22 PM

[QUOTE=wildthing;6093212]I am glad to hear that Carolyn is in Canada, I was hoping you would pop in on this.

Aww, thanks!
#11 of 12 Old 09-23-2006, 05:27 PM

No worries -- glad to be of help.

I gave the College info because, while I don't think that you will find any complaints either, calling the College can assure you that there have been no proceedings against your midwife (and if she were at fault with the stillbirth, you can be sure there would be) and you can rest easy with your midwife. (Saying that, many midwives with proceedings are fine, capable midwives, who may have misstepped, or misjudged). Maybe you could also pass on that there have been no complaints of your midwife, to the physician who is potentially slandering her.

I'd be disappointed in your physician, too. It wasn't professional.

Good luck!

Carolynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of my Castle View Post
In response to CarolynMarilyn:
Thanks so much for your response, it means a lot that you are both from Ontario and a midwife! It's helpful to have ANOTHER midwife's opinion on this besides my own. Thanks for the info about inquiring about complaints; especially if I find some local complaints will I pursue this.
However, I'm really not expecting to find any complaints. Mostly I'm dissapointed this relationship with my doctor came to this point...I wish he'd never made the call!
Thanks again, your insight is very appreciated!
A
#12 of 12 Old 09-24-2006, 12:43 PM

That is such bullshit. Seriously. When it comes to infant mortality rates, the U.S. isn't even the best. We are #23!!!!!! The countries with the best rates combine midwifery with medical support. I would change your doctor. Why put up with that kind of crap. Geez I am pissed. How dare he try to make you afraid of your baby dying. Ugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page