I'm so sick and I can't take anything! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2006, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: : Hello all,
I've got a miserable cold...sneezy, drippy nose, coughing, headache, can't sleep at night. I'm at work now: I teach 2nd grade and I'm miserable! I took one benadryl last night to help me sleep (did it help???? of course not) and I took 2 tylenol this morning and nothing is helping. I'm so achy and yucky and I have to keep teaching (that's a laugh...can only get through 2 sentences at a time before I have to blow my nose again) these little 7 year olds. How do you get through 9 months of no meds when you're sick like this??? :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 PM

I'm right there with you - miserable, pregnant and teaching:
Old 09-26-2006, 07:55 PM

I haven't been sick while pregnant but I know that there are certain medications that are considered safe. You may want to check with your midwife or doctor to see what else might help you. I did resort to vicodin when I had migraines with my DD. My doctor said it was safe and I was desperate. Hope you find some relief!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM

Sudafed is considered safe while pregnant. As is nasal spray (I seriously consider this a gift from God when I am sick) for a max of 3 days.

The nasal spray will especially help you sleep. I can't sleep when I am oo congested to breathe.

I just got over a cold and took warm baths in the evening to also help open up my sinuses.

Feel better. Tis (unfortunately) the season.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM

Are you sure it's not allergies? I find that I have to be religiously devoted to my nasal irrigation, else I get really sick. I also must shower/rinse before going to bed and then I can't lounge around outside of the bedroom--gotta go in there where I have the air filters running.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:55 PM

I feel your pain. I have had a cold for over 10 days now, and on Monday my throat started hurting. By Tuesday afternoon, I was whispering to my students. I teach third. It was comical.

I had a lot of drainage and a history of sinus infections and went into miserable because it is not getting better. She prescribed me ammoxycilin. She said it was safe for pregnancy. I feel a lot better knowing it will soon be over! Hang in there!!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:40 PM

By thursday my voice was almost gone, and I am nearly totally voiceless now. Good thing it is the weekend. Teaching without a voice is tough. Oh, well. such is the life of a teacher. The first year I taught I lost my voice 1x, last year 2x, and this year it may hit 3x? We'll see. My Mom has been teaching ~30 years and has wrecked her voice. She can no longeer sing: I think I'll be getting out if teaching before too long.

I aways know when it is allergies bc DD gets them at the same time. At 3 she is already allergic to most of what I am
Old 09-30-2006, 02:08 PM

I usually treat colds with garlic, which even really helps with some of the symptoms, especially if you can tolerate it raw!
I'd just check with my md or midwife about safe dosage.
Feel Better and rest whenever you can!

Mama to DS 4.22.07 (ana to peanuts) and DD 10.7.09
Old 09-30-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
I'm right there with you - miserable, pregnant and teaching:
me too! But starting to feel better. Try a half of Unisom at night. That REALLY helps me sleep. But take it no later than 8 pm-or you will be groggy. Good luck!

User Tag List