Looks like I'll be practicing the sleepless nights.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2006, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, my husband calls and leaves me a message to "call him right away!"

So I call him and he tells me that a cat at his work had kittens a couple of days ago and someone messed with the kittens and the mom moved them all except one. She abandoned the four day old kitty. So he tells me he saved it. Which means I'll be saving it.

I don't mind. I'm a kitty lover, but my husband hasn't been in a long time. He was traumatized by a not-so-clean kitty household. I'm really surprised that he saved the kitten.

It's eyes aren't open yet, of course. I've got a lil bottle and some kitty formula. I can get it to eat about a half an ounce every 30 minutes or so. I think I'll be able to take it to work till it gets old enough to go longer between feedings. Looks like I'm in for some long nights!

My kids have been begging for a cat for forever. I hope I can keep this little booger alive and healthy for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 PM

How sweet but sad! Good luck with the little kitty!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we both survived the night.:

My hubby, sweet guy that he is, woke up with me the second time, about 2:30 just to see how we were doing. He sat with us and then said, "Oh, man. Now I remember how much work babies are...." The he went back to bed!

DH also reminded me that mama kitties have to lick baby kitty bums to get them to go potty. Of course I'm the mama kitty now so we have to improvise. It isn't fun, but somebody's gotta do it.

I can't tell if my dog wants to eat it or if he just loves it, but he's always trying to lick the poor thing. DH says he does that with birds when they hunt, too.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:48 PM

Maybe the dog is trying to help it go potty!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 09-27-2006, 07:05 PM

Awww, this is so cute! A little off topic but last night DH and I were laying in bed, petting our cats and speculating as to the gender of the baby. DH said "maybe it's not a baby at all, but another cat. We could use one more. A big, fluffy orange one this time..."

Well, my man just has this way of delivering these absurdities in such a convincing semblance of seriousness that I couldn't stop laughing for an hour or so.

But good luck with your little kitten. It will surely turn out to be a real sweethear t if if gets through the first few weeks ok!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:16 PM

You can keep the little thing alive!!!! How sweet of you to rescue a kitten!!! I have had long nights with baby birds that needed to be fed often. I know what it's like!!!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinggypsy View Post
Awww, this is so cute! A little off topic but last night DH and I were laying in bed, petting our cats and speculating as to the gender of the baby. DH said "maybe it's not a baby at all, but another cat. We could use one more. A big, fluffy orange one this time..."

Well, my man just has this way of delivering these absurdities in such a convincing semblance of seriousness that I couldn't stop laughing for an hour or so.

But good luck with your little kitten. It will surely turn out to be a real sweethear t if if gets through the first few weeks ok!

Too funny.

I'm having your fluffy orange one! That's exactly what this baby looks like.

He's getting fat and fiesty! I think he's going to make it!
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM

I'm glad to hear he's doing well! I have a real weakness for kittens , and I like cats too. But I have wondered for a while, since we breed miniature dogs, why don't we breed miniature cats? They'd be awesome! I mean, they're just soooo cute when they're little. I personally would be the first in line to order a miniature persian.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

My poor baby kitty died last night.

He'd been pretty quiet and sleeping all day and wouldn't hardly eat. He died in my hands. He acted like he couldn't breathe and I tried to get him to. I tried everything I could. I've never witnessed a death before. It was heartbreaking.

I'm so sad. I don't understand. He seemed so healthy on Wednesday that I never thought he wouldn't make it.

Dangit.:
Old 09-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Oh no -- I'm so sorry.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:34 PM

I'm sorry to hear such sad news! Poor little kitty... and poor you, too! Just what you need when emotions are running an all time high, right?
Old 09-29-2006, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am sorry to hear about the loss of the Kitty. That is really sad.

You gave him some warm, happy days.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. I knew you would understand.

wanderinggypsy, you're right. I bawled my pathetic eyes out last night and this morning. I look like I've been punched, since my eyes swell for like 2 days after a crying jag!

CarolynnMarilynn, that's exactly what DH said.

I know it seems pretty small, compared to what else is going on, but I miss the poor guy. I only had him for three days, but I had already adjusted myself to constantly listening for his little meow and always preparing to feed him or ahem....stimulate him to go potty. He just fit in the palm of my hand and was just the sweetest little thing. I couldn't wait till his eyes opened so I could really see him!

I swear, I keep hearing him meow.

I'll just be grateful that I had him for a few days. I'll quit whining. Time to focus on all the good, like my perfect little bun growing in my belly. And the fact that I can eat again. Hallelujah for that!

User Tag List