Woo hoo - we heard the heartbeat! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My hubby and I just got back from my first prenatal visit - we heard the heartbeat - it was so exciting!

The birthing center I went to seems great - the only bad thing is that they insist that I have pelvic exam on my next visit. I made it clear that I didn't want one and that having it during pregnancy would make me very uncomfortable but they said they really wanted to "see my cervix early on." Has everyone else had a pelvic? Did it bother you? Do you think I should insist that my wishes be observed? I don't want to be obstinate or difficult about something that is relatively common to do in pregnancy but I really don't want one. These exams always upset my vaginal flora and to me the risk is greater than the benefit. I explained all of this to them, but apparently they believe the benefit is greater than the risk.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 06:55 PM

How wonderful and exciting that you got to hear the heart beat!

You have every right to refuse a pelvic exam. Generally they want to do a pap because things change when you are pregnant and they want to watch for things like abnormal cells on the cervix.
I have m/c'ed 3 times in a row and my last pap was last Sept. I told the Dr. up front that I will not have a pap done and she said that was fine. For me I felt it was too risky.
I believe it is your body, you know what is best for it- follow your gut.
(and if they want to check the size of your pelvic that is useless because it continues to change throughout pregnancy)

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM

Yeah for hearing the heartbeat!!!! It is a beautiful sound isn't it? I hope I get to hear my little ones heatbeat next week.

I believe you have the right to refuse any kind of exam. They can not force you to have one. I was really scared about having a pelvic when I was pg w/ Peanut. I understand how you feel. However, I did submiss and have one anyway. I did not have any complications from it though. No bleeding or anything.

I belive your wishes should be observed. I think it is very important because if they are not observed now, will they be in 6 or 7 mos when it is time to give birth? You stand you for what you believe!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

They aren't insisting on a pap since I had one in July - just an internal pelvic exam/bimanual. I do know that the nurse I saw discussed this with the midwife director who said I needed to have one. I just don't want to be "difficult". I really like this practice and the philosophy of the birth center, so I don't know how much to push it. I did make it super clear.

I just don't see what it will really tell them other than it making them comfortable. They mentioned making sure there weren't cervical polyps (which I have no symptoms of and can't imagine would have formed since my complete pelvic by an Ob/Gyn in July, which I told them about) and checking the color, health etc. but to me all of this isn't critical unless I'm having symptoms that would indicate an issue. They mentioned feeling size of uterus too but again, this is just one exam, how much is it really going to tell them? Bah, I hate being put in this position. It may seem trivial but is actually rather bothersome for me.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:13 PM

They have to do an internal to feel the size of the uterus? I thought this was done externally? I don't see why they should do an internal since it was not very long ago that you had one. That is just my opinion though. I probably am not the most educated about these sort of things :
Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 PM

I had a pap at my first OB appointment (6w or roughly thereabouts), but I was (over)due for one. My OB said--barring problems--I wouldn't need another pelvic exam until he starts checking my cervix when I'm getting close to my due date.

Some OBs in town do pelvics every month. I'm not going to those doctors.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

The birth center just wants to do one early on... and a cervix check on my due date. So, again, I'm afraid of just being too much of a stickler on this one point. Otherwise, they are very laid back, very nice, friendly and seem to really support natural labor. I just REALLY don't want even one.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unfortunately, there is really no defendable rationale as to why you have to have a pelvic at this point. It may be what they are 'comfortable' with, but you should not feel like you have to accommodate them on this, because they are fine in other ways. YOU get to decide what happens to your body, and them coercing you is totally unacceptable. What other 'policies' do they have that you might encounter in your care? Get this information up front.

Good luck.

User Tag List