Can we talk nutrition? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-29-2006, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering what type of diets or nutrition rules you ladies are trying to follow for pregnancy. I am doing a kind of modified Brewer Diet/ Nourishing Tradition Diet. My goals are:

4 servings dairy a day
green leafies daily
at least 2 eggs
2 pieces fruit
orange/yellow veggie
potato 3 x a week
cruciferous veggie daily or several times weekly
lots of protein!
liver 1 x a week
fish 1 x a week
cod liver oil daily
butter daily
Oh, and am seriously avoiding caffeine, and severely limiting sugar

On the dairy I am doing kefir and raw milk cheese. Last time I met all my requirements with soy milk and ice cream After reading about soy milk and pregnancy though I am avoiding it this time around and I am not really craving the icecream and am getting plenty of calories without it.

All the info I read really emphasizes grains as well, however I don't tolerate them well, so I am seriously trying to stay away from them.

So, what are your goals? Any nutritional philosophy you want to share! I love hearing new info.

any thoughts on weight gain? My goal is to gain about 30-40 lbs. I am up about 6 here at almost 11 weeks. I am already doing better than last time when I had a 10 lb weight gain in 1 month of my first trimester.

When I talked to the mw she was concerned I wouldn't be able to get enough to eat as I am nursing, pregnant and I exercise. However, I think I must be doing pretty good with that to have already gained 6 lbs.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-29-2006, 07:06 PM

No goals. I just try to make sure I eat. If I don't make a vested effort at eating (when not pg), I typically consume less than 500 calories a day. Needless to say, this is *never* a good thing.

So . . . Adding in my food allergies . . .

My diet is absolutely free of soy, gluten, papaya, moldy cheese, and peanuts. Tree nuts are okay. I have to limit certain other things during certain seasons due to oral allergy syndrome. I can't have most preservatives, either.

Starches are limited due to severe GERD. Limited potatoes. Very little sugar. No HFCS.

I'm keeping plenty of "snack" foods in the house. For me, this is stuff like brown rice pasta, cream (for a breve latte), whole milk, whey protein powder, salad fixings, roasted peppers, celery, carrots, safe dip, hummus, chickpeas, other beans, cheese, apples, etc.

I can have popcorn, since it doesn't bother my gut. I like to dress it with butter and nutritional yeast.

Once the morning sickness hit, I started craving meat, so I gave up vegetarianism for the time being. I'm mostly eating chicken, with a smattering of mild fish, turkey, and beef. I'm allergic to pork, so none of that.

Today I've had homemade beef stew (mmm, veggies), chips and dip (chips were a bad idea, I'm paying for it), a couple protein shakes, and random veggies. It's not enough for the day, but I've been feeling really anti-food. I'll make up for it this evening. I'm planning bbq chicken (apricot preserves, chipotle sauce, chili sauce, ginger, garlic) in a bit, unless boy leaves me some beef stew.

We eat greens almost every single day and we eat *tons* of other veggies. Today might be a non-fresh veggie supper as I'm craving lobio (lebanese green beans). That takes awhile, so the quick veggie will probably be thinly sliced and roasted summer squash. I'm also having some tinkyada pasta (butter and yeast on top).

I tend to graze throughout the day, with my heavier mealtimes after the dinner hour.

A very frequent snack for me is a quesadilla made with corn tortillas, sliced onions, cheddar cheese (or random queso), and olives. Yum. Way too low in calories, but it gets an ounce or two of cheese in me relatively quickly.

So . . . no actual plan, just trying to *eat*.

I don't work. I do try to get regular exercise. My husband works at home, so he'll occasionally just dump something in my lap for me to eat (and hope it doesn't gross me out).

I'm gonna go buy apples . . . aw, crap. Tomorrow, I guess. The orchard is closed now. I've been eating virginia ginger golds with sharp cheddar most nights.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#3 of 11 Old 09-29-2006, 07:45 PM

I am diabetic so I follow a Gestational Diabetes diet. It's very high in protein and I try to incorporate some of the Brewers diet into it (milk and dark leafy greens). It goes like this:
Breakfast:
2 starches max
Meat (protein), must include
fat as desired
Vegetables as desired

Snack:
1 starch maximum
Meat (protein) must include
4oz milk
Vegetables as desired

Lunch:
2 starches max
1 or more Vegetables
8oz milk
1 fruit max
Fat as desired

Snack:
1 starch max
4oz milk (max)
Vegetables as desired

Dinner:
2 starches max
1 or more vegetables
8oz milk (max)
1 fruit (max)
Fat as desired

Bedtime snack:
1 starch max
8oz milk (max)
Vegetables as desired

It's a lot more food than I normally eat, and I have trouble eating all I should. For lunch today I only had a bowl of cottage cheese and 1/2 an apple w some peanut butter. And I'm not even hungry enough to eat my snack. :
#4 of 11 Old 09-29-2006, 11:58 PM

We can talk about it, but then I'm sure someone would give me a mental smack. I've, um, been giving into my cravings a little too often. Let's leave it at that
#5 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 01:05 AM

Here is my diet:

Eat whatever stays down, taste good, and doesn't stink.
#6 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 08:52 AM

I too am following (loosely) a brewers type diet. I do find it difficult to get all that dairy in, especially since I will only consume organic milk, and at 9 dollars a bag, it's a pricey habit. My children LOVE the organic milk as well, so a bag is only lasting about two days...

Thinking about my organic milk 'habit' and the cost of it, I really don't understand how ANYONE can afford to smoke these days!(I never have, and never will, btw)
#7 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 11:41 AM

I'm just praying to be able to eat at my favorite place again soon: Ayruveda Cafe - this wonderful vegetarian Indian restaurant nearby.

Right now I'm on a strick diet of small handfuls of nuts, raisins and whatever is near me when the nausea lifts each day - usually a two hour window between 4 and 6. Let's face it, that can be ugly. Probably a good thing its only 2 hours a day.
#8 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 03:24 PM

I'm trying my best to eat healthy... but it's hard when you're so tired you don't feel like cooking. I have been having major cravings for Mexican food. Oh, ok, so I have those when I'm NOT pregnant too! But seriously, we have a lack of good mexican restaurants in my area. I think I am going to have to run for the border and go visiting in Washington... there are some GOOD mexican restaurants down there.

Mmmm Refried Beans and mexican rice.... and an avocado tostada. *sigh*

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#9 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 03:58 PM

I'm trying to stay pretty close to a NT-type diet. I've been eating lots of eggs for breakfast, some soaked oatmeal, sourdough bread/toast, and smoothies. Lunches have been lots of sandwiches, as they are easy and cheap, and don't make much smell, haha. PB&J, grilled cheese, egg/lettuce/tomato, roast beef, etc. Suppers have been anything from a smoothie, to a sandwich, to pot roast with veggies, hamburgers, stews or soups.

I've been majorly craving beef, milk, eggs, and cheese. I have sources for really good quality, so I'm not worried about eating lots of it.

Snacks have been crispy almonds, raisins, yogurt with berries, the very occasional chocolate bar, apples, apple slices with PB.

We're still getting broccoli from the garden, so we have that at least once a week, sometimes every night if I'm feeling good. Other than that, veggies are whatever I can stomach and whatever I have on hand: green beans, chard, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc.
#10 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 10:31 PM

I follow the Swank Diet (http://swankmsdiet.org/index.php/diet/about/) for Multiple Sclerosis, but I don't really even look at it as a "diet" now. It is more just a healthy way of eating.

The principles are to cut out red meat, saturated fat and dairy fat and focus on grains, fruits, veggies, poultry, fish and oils/nuts for fats.

I've always been thin (about 125 lbs) but my cholesterol was always sky-high (about 250.) After a year on this diet, it dropped to 149!

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#11 of 11 Old 09-30-2006, 11:07 PM

Serenitii, did you ever investigate gluten ataxia (a neuro manifestation of celiac disease)? We now believe that I suffer from gluten ataxia. My neuros thought they'd have me diagnosed with MS by now, but all my neuro symptoms are receding after two years of being gluten-free. Since both are autoimmune disorders, they can cluster with RA, lupus, psoriasis, and other AI issues.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page