Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2006, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Me, unless my MW sees a good reason, but she is in total support of not using them, so I trust her judgement.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:27 PM

I'm curious about why you don't want to use the doppler or ultrasound.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhoenix View Post
I'm curious about why you don't want to use the doppler or ultrasound.
Oh, I just don't trust anything anymore! I've been researching it, and lots of animal tests (though I'm against these tests!) have shown that it causes damage. No extensive studies have been done on humans (with good reason). I would use the technology if it was necessary.

Here's one article about it:
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2006/0...20060807200030
Old 09-30-2006, 10:34 PM

We've decided not to use any for this pregnancy. Im gonna order a fetoscope when it gets closer to when I can hear the heartbeat.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:00 PM

I wanted to go that route with my last pregnancy...no doppler, no ultrasound, just the fetoscope...but I had a miscarriage at 17 weeks and never got to see or hear my little baby alive.

So although I can understand where you're coming from, since I chose it for myself last time, I'm not going that way with THIS pregnancy. In fact I had an ultrasound last week. And now no matter what happens I had the opportunity to see my baby alive.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:19 PM
RAF

Me!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:51 AM

No ultrasounds or dopplers for me, either. I'm anxious to hear the heartbeat and jealous of the ladies who have already seen/heard their precious little ones.....but DH and I have decided to be patient and wait until the midwife can hear the hb w/ the fetoscope @ 16-20 weeks. If my midwife would tell me that there is a cause for concern and recommends an ultrasound for some reason, I would. She too is leery of ultrasounds because of their effect on fetal mice, etc..... and I know that she would only order one if absolutely necessary. It's good to know I'm not the only one who is passing up u/s & doppler.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM

we definitely want to keep it more minimal than last time, but i haven't decided to decline entirely. i was planning to do one u/s but now i'm not sure. at my 12 week appointment i said i didn't want to try to hear the heartbeat yet.

i'm thinking of saying ok to the doppler during labor because the m/w said it's faster than a fetoscope and can be done underwater. one of the most painful experiences in my hospital birth with DS was having that EFM pushed into me to hear the heartbeat

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07
Old 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM

We will have doppler for the next 2 appt. (Dr. said she just needed 20 sec- so that's what I'll give her, she would like to make sure everything is fine, so it's more for her records than my desire to hear it) then I am ordering a fetoscope and she will use that. HB-ing w/ mw later, and will allow some doppler use in labor, very minimal- once or twice. But fetoscope is so hard to hear w/ and mw is hard of hearing- that combined w/ labor sounds, etc.
If the dr. isn't comfortable with my decisions then I will do my own prenatals, but she seems to respect me quite well, so I don't think there will be problems.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.

User Tag List