I had my first glucose screening today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had been diagnosed with GD or borderline GD with both my previous pregnancies. Because of that they tested me early this time. I hate the way the test makes me feel :

If I pass I have to take it again later, if I fail I just have to start the GD diet early.

On the good side. All the extra sugar is making the wee bean jump a lot. I'm feeling lots of little nudges right now.
#2 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM

Let us know how it goes. If you have to do the GD diet, I'll be right here with ya. I am diabetic all the time, not just GD, so I've already started with THE DIET (and insulin, fun fun!). Anyways, I'll be crossing my fingers that you DON'T have to do the diet yet, because it's really not fun to be pg and eat like this. Sometimes I just want a milkshake. :
#3 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 02:24 PM

You know... I was never certain about WHY they do the test the way that they do. I mean really, who downs that much sugar in a sitting mormally? If you don't typically eat like that then it is NOT a reflection of what your body is doing. Maybe I'll borrow my dad's glucometer and test my blood every few hours for a few days and say SEEEEEEE to the mw when she wants me to do that stupid test. sheesh.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#4 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins&Doody View Post
Let us know how it goes. If you have to do the GD diet, I'll be right here with ya. I am diabetic all the time, not just GD, so I've already started with THE DIET (and insulin, fun fun!). Anyways, I'll be crossing my fingers that you DON'T have to do the diet yet, because it's really not fun to be pg and eat like this. Sometimes I just want a milkshake. :

Would you mind posting a bit of the diet you follow? It's been a long time and I have lost my copy of my diet plan. I would really appreciate it, Thanks
#5 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 06:25 PM

Good Luck to you!

Also, I know that someone posted The GD diet in the nutrition thread I started!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#6 of 9 Old 10-02-2006, 07:08 PM

Anita,
Might I be so bold as to suggest asking for either a 2 hour post-prandial or a HgbA1C? These two may more accurately reflect what is going on in your body. We use the HgbA1C at our office. It doesn't manipulate your system at all.

I have had 6 babies over 9 pounds and 2 of those were well over 10 pounds. I have been told over and over that I "probably" had GD. I therefore eat a GD diet whenever I am pregnant. Yes indeed, I miss those milkshakes too, Lisa. But my smallest 9 pounders (9-2 and 9-4) were when I watched what I ate, so I think it was helpful.

Things I did and ate:
Kept carbs to less than 20grams per meal
Always ate a protein with a carb, ALWAYS (chicken and brown rice, peanut butter and sprouted grain bread, etc)
Eat brown carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, sprouted grain bread)
Limit dairy products, cut them out if possible
Eat small meals throughout the day-this helps keep your insulin levels consistent-don't let yourself get too hungry
If you are going to eat something sugary, do it at night when your insulin production is likely to be at it's highest
#7 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

FWIW my girls were born at 5lbs 14 oz (just before 36 weeks) and 7lbs 5 oz at 39 weeks.

I so HOPE I don't get it this time, though I am not optimistic. Thanks for the info Wildthing!
#8 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 01:02 AM

Hey, I posted my diet here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=530084

The baby I was GD with was born at almost 40 weeks and weighed 8lbs even. And honestly, I wasn't that strict with my diet then (bad me!). I'm hoping for a similar sized baby this time, my OB has me all paranoid. :
#9 of 9 Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

That's a whole lot more meat than I normally eat. Thanks for the info. I remember the GD diet not being so fun.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page