Where do you shop for maternity clothes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have already bought a few things from Old Navy (I love that their stuff runs big and I can get an XL instead of an XXL ). And a couple thrift store things. Target's stuff is so cute, but I don't think it comes big enough for my fluffiness. Just wondering where everyone buys their stuff! :
#2 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

I bought two shirts at Gap : One is super stretchy so I can get away with wering it now, but I can wear it all school year! (I needed shirts for work--teaching--and didn't want to buy stuff I wouldn't be able to wear in two months). They had really NORMAL stuff plus cut wider and longer, which was perfect for me and my huge boobs (always huge, always an issue with shirts being too short). I also went and bought some of the smallest sizes at Lane Bryant (I still shop there for pants only but I've lost weight and couldn't wear their shirts anymore) for some extra roomy tees. Thanks for the tip about Old Navy. Damn, now I really want to visit my sister and go to the flagship store in San Francisco again... love that place!
#3 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM

I'm the luckiest girl in the world and my sweet mom went and bought me some maternity clothes at a consignment shop when she went out of town. She got me some super-cute tops that are appropriate for work, two comfy dresses that don't look like tents and a pair of overalls that are HUGE but might work in my 8th month.

Really, the only thing I feel like I need is like two pairs of pants and I'm ready to go. I'll probably go to Old Navy or something when I get bigger. For now, the rubber-band trick is working just fine

Also, the group of homebirthers around here get together once a month and we all swap maternity and baby clothes, so that is a great resource!
#4 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm doing the hair elastic trick myself for now. But I may head to Old Navy tonight to see what they've got and DH promised to take me across to the US this weekend for clothes and my favorite mexican restaurant!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#5 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 02:30 PM

#6 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM

I usually go to Old Navy or Motherhood...sometimes Target. If I could afford it I'd love to get all my stuff here.
#7 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM

I bought some looser tops/sweaters at Lane Bryant, and I'm wearing two pairs of jeans that have a teeny bit of room left in them.I just ordered some mat jeans from JCPenney; a friend told me that her most favorite pair came from there.

My MIL just offered to get me some mat clothes for my birthday at the end of the month -- Yay!
#8 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 02:59 PM

I got some good stuff at Motherwear about a month and a half ago. Even though it's mostly nursing shirts and clothes, they are starting to have some maternity stuff. Motherwear is really pricey, but if you can get the stuff on sale, it's a good bargain. The stuff I got were some capris and such that were on clearance to make room for fall stuff.

Otherwise, I'm going to check Old Navy and the consignment shops.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#9 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't need any clothing right now. I'll probably invest in the JC Penney's maternity kit since it contains just about everything I would willingly wear (black, black and did I mention black?).

I went to Motherhood Maternity this week to ask if they'd stock swimsuits in January, when I'll likely need one. They do, but the selection will be what they have now.

What they have now won't even cover my boobs. Come on, busty women have kids, too, and we get even bustier! It was ridiculous! Nothing they had could be bigger than a B-cup.

I wonder if the gym will let me wrap spandex around myself and safety pin it in place . . .

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#10 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 04:41 PM

Old Navy is too casual for me. I have enough t-shirts for around the house, but am looking for business work clothes. I haven't been impressed with what Gap is offering. I can't, can't, can't have those v-neck shirts that hang so that everyone can see the girls. I've looked on line at babystyle, but didn't see anything that caught my eye. I did order two shirts from Japense Weekend. I'll have to let you know what I think. I might check JC Penney's this weekend. I tried target, but it all looked cheap and not what I can wear to work.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#11 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 04:45 PM

My JCPenney store has *two* racks of maternity clothes, mostly casual. They're pretty much catalog only (drives me nuts, I'm hard to fit).

Fortunately, they had the maternity catalog on top of one of the racks, so I grabbed it.

For dressier clothes, you'll probably need a specialty store like Mimi's or Motherhood.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#12 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 04:50 PM

I hate the store Motherhood...they practically wanted my social security number and blood type just to buy a pair of stockings. I vowed never to shop there again, and I've been completely successful! I have gotten almost everything I've worn this pregnancy at consignment shops. Don't worry about stocking up on much because I found that I'd grow out of something in a matter of weeks once the belly started showing. I'm down to about four outfits with two more weeks left before my EDD. I did just go buy a pair of comfy pants (again, at a consignment shop) to pack in the hospital bag so that we don't have to rush around trying to do laundry when I go into labor.
#13 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
I'll probably invest in the JC Penney's maternity kit since it contains just about everything I would willingly wear (black, black and did I mention black?).
My step-mom bought me one of these and it just arrived today. I have to admit that I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the pieces. I originally got it because i wanted the dress to wear to a christening this month, and now looking at the pieces I know I'll get way more use out of them.

I've bought a ton off ebay too, and some things from motherwear's clearance section, as well as a couple of pieces from Old Navy. I am not at all impressed with the quality of the stuff i got from old navy, the shirts are soooo thin.
#14 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM

Ebay mostly and Motherhood. I hate spending a lot of money for clothes I won't wear for a long time.
#15 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyes328 View Post
I am not at all impressed with the quality of the stuff i got from old navy, the shirts are soooo thin.
Exactly!

I'm not a big fan of Motherhood either. Maybe it's just my store, but the saleswomen are not friendly to say the least.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#16 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinsMama View Post
I just ordered some mat jeans from JCPenney; a friend told me that her most favorite pair came from there.
That's so funny - my most favorite pair of maternity jeans (from when I was pregnant with DS) came from there too!

I am so completely frustrated with maternity clothes right now. I don't fit in my regular stuff, and maternity looks ridiculous on me (mediums are too small, larges are waaaay tooooo big). I did find some cute things at Ross of all places, I didn't even know they had a maternity section until a friend told me. Cheap, too!
#17 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 06:31 PM

I have a huge wardrobe that is mostly handmedowns (from my cousin who has a 2.5 yo and 1 yo) and a few items mom bought me at Sears last time and stuff from consignment shops. I have probable 20 tank tops, shorts, and tshirts. Dresses I have probably 3-4. Pants probably 6, capris 10, etc. I need to go through it all, cause as it is handmedowns some I don't really like. I hoping to get away with not buying much this time, but will likely need to get some winter stuff, as most the winter stuff she had I didn't like and maternity pants, oh boy it is so hard to tell what will fit good, so I am waiting to see if the stuff I found at consignment shops works ok.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#18 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM

I have lots left over from my other pregnancies and borrowed clothes from friends. I have bought a few things from Motherhood and Target but won't go too crazy since this is my last pregnancy.
#19 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 07:36 PM

I have some things left over from my last pregnancy, although I am not sure exactly what there is. I think I gave a bunch away, but I can't remember who I gave them to.
I actually like Old Navy, I tend to run hot so I like thinner material for my shirts. I need some nicer things this time since I am working part time and seeing clients. I don't like Motherhood, the clothes loose their shape very quickly, and I was never impressed with the quality. I will probably get a few pieces from Japanese Weekend and Motherwear. Not sure where else I will be shopping just yet.
#20 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 09:00 PM

Most of what I have has come from JC Penny's clearance rack, Old Navy, Walmart, Motherhood, Target, and thrift shops as well as the maternity section in my Once Upon a Child (local consignment shop)

For bigger sizes (I was last pregnancy, now I'm buying smaller stuff this pregnancy bah!), Fashion Bug stores and Lane Bryant's online catalog both carry nice maternity even in plus sizes that are very reasonably priced!
#21 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejuicemama View Post
I'm the luckiest girl in the world and my sweet mom went and bought me some maternity clothes at a consignment shop when she went out of town. She got me some super-cute tops that are appropriate for work, two comfy dresses that don't look like tents and a pair of overalls that are HUGE but might work in my 8th month.

Really, the only thing I feel like I need is like two pairs of pants and I'm ready to go. I'll probably go to Old Navy or something when I get bigger. For now, the rubber-band trick is working just fine

Also, the group of homebirthers around here get together once a month and we all swap maternity and baby clothes, so that is a great resource!
What a thoughtful mom! Oh and that's a nice idea for your group of homebirthers!
#22 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 PM

I bought a pair of maternity pants recently from Old Navy that I really like....I'm hoping I don't outgrow them, but I bought them loose and the band around the belly is supposed to go UNDER the belly, so maybe they'll last me the whole pregnancy.....provided my butt doesn't get too huge.

My mom has ordered me some used maternity clothes off of eBay and is having them shipped to me. She said she got a really great deal.
#23 of 23 Old 10-02-2006, 10:10 PM

Nowhere yet. Since I had lost a bit of weight over the previous few months, I was able to dig up my "fat" jeans that I (fortunately) hadn't yet thrown out and have been wearing those. I have absolutely no maternity clothes to my name, but since I'm a SAHM I figure that this pregnancy I will probably just get myself one pair of maternity jeans and spend the rest of the time in tracky-dacks and tshirts. Yes, "glamour" is my middle name

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page