Mothering Forum banner

prenatal perineal massage

523 views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Fairy4tmama 
#1 ·
who's doing it? who's not? why?

the research seems conflicting, but i've never done it before and have never needed be to sutured after birth and it sounds awful to me.

#9 ·
Make it fun, but if you are uncomfortable with it your body and your tissues may not relax enough to get the bennifits of it. It one fo those your whole body has to relax and your mind also, it can be unpleasent if you tighten up things down there. If you are up to it you and dh can have some fun. I think that if you keep the area supple with oil(light massage) like after a shower you can still get some bennifit from it.

#10 ·
yea...i think for me the relaxation exercises with it were even more important than my partner massaging/stretching me... try focusing on the relaxing--he wouldn't really "stretch" me unless i was feeling no pain at all (which meant that i was relaxing well)...it's training your brain to relax when there is pressure on your peri.

#12 ·
Is that what they're calling it now?
:

Ok, ok. sorry.

I've never done it. Just good ol' fashioned love-making seems to work ok for me. Plus, I have waterbirths, which help and I know that my mw does do a *little* massage with olive oil after transition, but before pushing. I've never torn, except for "skid marks" on my labia, which I don't think can be helped anyway.

#13 ·
I didn't do this last time, and I didn't tear at all. I've heard you are less likely to tear with subsequent births if you haven't before, so I'm not going to bother. I do keep the area strong, elastic and have a good understanding of my muscles with kegels, though, and dh and I are frisky right up until the end, as well, which I think probably helps.
A

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by grapejuicemama View Post
Is that what they're calling it now?
:

Ok, ok. sorry.

I've never done it. Just good ol' fashioned love-making seems to work ok for me.
:

I am, I have a condition called lichen sclirosiss wich leaves that area pretty brittle to begin with so I use a topical rx and do massage....last birth I didn't really have much more tearing than I have with out birth so I consider it very useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.