breech mamas roll call! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 45 Old 03-14-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thought I would see who all is out there again! This little one keeps flipping around. I am trying not to worry as I am only 34 weeks, but I want to start working on this early as I have heard others say that your chances are better if the earlier they start to turn them. I have an appt tomorrow with the backup ob and I am getting a quick ultrasound to check position. If the little one is still breech then I plan to find a chiro and accupuncturist (unfortunately due to my area this will likely mean a 2.5-3 hr drive (one way ) to St. Louis. I am hoping to get anything but transverse, although it is my preference not to try and birth a breech baby.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#2 of 45 Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Here!

Babe has been breech since at least 27 weeks, and I'm now 36-1/2. The ob is terrified I'm going to have another "gigantic" baby (insert eyeroll here) so they're really stressing about getting her to turn, which is of course causing ME to stress about it. :

She was straight up-and-down on Friday. I had my first Webster adjustment on Monday, and on Tuesday, she was transverse -- a HUGE change, according to the mw ... she's very encouraged that the baby will turn vertex with more adjustments. I have my 2nd Webster today at 11AM and my 1st acupuncture session (EVER) at 3PM. I'm currently trying to decide if taking a dose of pulsatilla before the appointments will help things along.

I'm willing to try just about anything ... I'm desperately trying to avoid the EV, scheduled for Thursday, the 22nd. Their standard procedure is to immediately induce if the EV is successful. The mw said we could decline the induction, which we plan to do, but she flat out told me they (she & the ob) would try to guilt/scare us into it anyway. : If we decline, and she flips back to breech, then it's a c/s for me. :

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#3 of 45 Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 PM

my little peanut is roa and I guess should be loa - but still, an anterior position, so that's better than posterior. anyway, my bradley instructor suggested this website: www.spinningbabies.com
#4 of 45 Old 03-14-2007, 01:49 PM

My lil one was breech last Thursday (I'm at 33 weeks now) and yesterday he flipped sideways and he hasn't budged since. My belly is as hard as a rock, so I'm thinking he's got his back facing out against my belly. I don't know all of the technical terms, but hopefully he will turn all the way. The pressure is really weird to feel.
#5 of 45 Old 03-14-2007, 03:54 PM

Do not give up hope women! My son turned footling breech about 2 weeks before Delivery and we tried a version w/o epidural so that we wouldn’t risk forcing a C-section if it didn’t work- It didn't work. But worth trying! But all was stable and fine so they let me progress naturally hoping he would turn. Also tried the many breech tilt exercises - keep on trying girls! The EX's are good for us anyway! Thankfully he turned to a frank breech where his bottom was presenting and his legs were up in front of him. As long as his chin is tucked down to his chest and not extended up, then he is in a safe position for delivery. But the head cannot be looking up – will cause nerve damage as its coming through the canal.

Most US hospitals prefer C-sec..... I was just one of those moms trying to go as natural as possible and hated the thought of a C.... I didn't want any unnecessary surgery on my womb. And I got lucky, everything was favorable for a vaginal try as long as I agreed to the Epi and was already in the OR for emergency C. I know there are some mamas like me that hated the idea of a C unless it was truly unavoidable. I was just lucky in that it was avoidable for me; it is not always for others. And the baby's safety IS most important! It’s just not always as necessary to do C sections as the Doctors in this country believe. Sometimes they can do more damage trying too hard to be "preventative". Women have been delivering breach babies for over 100,000 yrs! It just has to be the right kind of breach position with no other complications, that's all. And now a days, with our technology we can see if it’s going to be ok before they commit to one option or the other! Ultrasounds & heart monitors are available during labor!

BUT- he folded his legs up (frank) and was butt first by the time my water broke and my midwife and doctor agreed to try a V-birth (w/epi) and have everything ready for a C if necessary.

It was easier than my first! He just rolled on out and they were both there to help keep him in the right position for his neck - NO PROBLEMS!!!!

Don't despair Ladies! Of course there had to be no other complications for my DR to agree with it but we were in the OR and all ready if it went wrong & IT WENT BEAUTIFULLY!

~Here wishing you all the best & safest outcomes!
Good luck!
#6 of 45 Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM

You are very, very lucky to live in a place where you could find care providers willing to attend a vaginal breech delivery. My hb mw won't (she's the ONLY hb mw in my area); the fsbc won't (they're the only fsbc in the state); and there isn't an ob in the entire metro area who will catch a breech ... if the EV doesn't work, they are automatic sections. :

#7 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Gin- Thanks for your positive story!

oh, I have to say I am pretty well positive that this little one has moved head down! I am seeing the ob tomorrow so will have him double check-= then I will be doing some exercises to keep the lil' one in place!!!! wish me luck!!!!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#8 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 12:45 PM

i've got a flipper, here--i *think* it's vertex now, but not sure. we're getting an ultrasound today to figure out if there's some reason s/he needs to be breech (cord, placenta placement, etc). i have a hbmw who is willing to attend me but hasn't ever done it before, and there are two doctors at my backup care hospital who can do it, too, but it's luck of the draw whether you get them when you're in labor...chiropractic has been the secret weapon for flipping this one head down, but the fact that s/he has flipped back so many times has me a little concerned.
#9 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

well, the lil' one is head down, as I thought. Now just to keep it that way.

#10 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 07:44 PM

Oh heck, mine is flipping around, I am 34.5 weeks. I am not worried at all. My last baby was flipping up through 38 weeks. I actually know of 2 midwives in our community that have experience with breech births, and I am pretty sure they would be willing to help out. But, I will do what I can to encourage a vertex position. ROA or LOA makes no difference to me, I have had babies in both positions....in fact, I am not concered with posterior either. BTDT.
#11 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 07:56 PM

Wildthing, you're my favorite. You're so damned cavalier, it just bloody well inspires me.

That's all I had to say.
#12 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 08:06 PM

Aw, WG....thanks! I hope I don't sound insensitive to anyone, but I just am not worried.

I have been having babies for 22 years, and it is interesting t me the way things have changed so much. Seriously, when I had my first 5 babies, u/s was rarely offered. You had to be pretty high-risk to have an u/s. I was 4 weeks past my "due date" with my first baby, and the doctor (and midwife I was seeing in the practice) never batted an eye. I mean, there was NEVER discussion of induction. It was more them telling me "Babies come when they are ready" to my whining every week that I would be pregnant forever!

Being part of that birth culture has been a good thing for me, I think. I know there were difficult situations for others, back then. But my experiences were so dramatically different from what I see people going through now, and even what I have heard and been told by doctors with my later children. I have no problem telling doctors now, that I will take their advice and make my own decisions, and so much of it is based on my past experiences. I KNOW my body will go into labor. I KNOW I can birth a posterior baby. I KNOW I can birth a 10+ pound baby. Because I am one of those that was not interferred with, because it wasn't "the thing to do" to interfere back then.

Sometimes, I miss the old days.
#13 of 45 Old 03-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
I have been having babies for 22 years, and it is interesting t me the way things have changed so much. Seriously, when I had my first 5 babies, u/s was rarely offered. You had to be pretty high-risk to have an u/s. I was 4 weeks past my "due date" with my first baby, and the doctor (and midwife I was seeing in the practice) never batted an eye. I mean, there was NEVER discussion of induction. It was more them telling me "Babies come when they are ready" to my whining every week that I would be pregnant forever!

Being part of that birth culture has been a good thing for me, I think. I know there were difficult situations for others, back then. But my experiences were so dramatically different from what I see people going through now, and even what I have heard and been told by doctors with my later children. I have no problem telling doctors now, that I will take their advice and make my own decisions, and so much of it is based on my past experiences. I KNOW my body will go into labor. I KNOW I can birth a posterior baby. I KNOW I can birth a 10+ pound baby. Because I am one of those that was not interferred with, because it wasn't "the thing to do" to interfere back then.

Sometimes, I miss the old days.

WORD!

I agree Donna! I have been at it 15 years and there was nothing of the hullabo we see today back then.
43 weeks?? NO problem

Now you hit 41 weeks and they breathe down your neck :
Same with alot of these routine tests they offer now.. back then you just lived and were pregnant.
I miss it honestly.
#14 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 AM

Just found out today that bubs is frank breech. Unfortunately, since the m/w I'm seeing is at a hospital which only accepts low-risk births, if we can't get the baby to turn, I'm to be referred elsewhere He wants me to go for an ECV (if I opt not to, I get scheduled for a caeserean instead).

HOWEVER, have sat here for an hour or so researching breech presentations and ECVs and when I got up to go and get myself a piece of chocolate (!!), I noticed that the baby seems to have moved now, and seems to be lying transverse! I might give the knee-chest position a go in order to encourage her to move the rest of the way.
#15 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
well, the lil' one is head down, as I thought. Now just to keep it that way.
Yay for you!!!

Does anybody else already have their EV scheduled? If I can't get babe to flip by Thursday, it's to the hospital for me. I don't WANT to stress about it. I wish I had the confidence to tell them to f-off, honestly ... that she'll flip when she's ready, and if she doesn't then there's a reason. She was frank breech before all the monkeying around with her, and I was perfectly willing to try for a vaginal birth. Unfortunately, there's not a care provider around here that was willing to let me and I didn't want to uc a breech baby. Too chicken.

#16 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 AM

Mamas of breeches fear not they come out, even breech, sending good position vibes to all you guys.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#17 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Elizabeth- thanks for the update. I am sorry to hear that the chiro and moxbustion has not worked for turning your baby! I cannot imagine your frustration. It is just not right in this culture that we cannot find people to birth breech babies. Unfortunately not all of us live in places where an attended breech birth is possible

#18 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM

You know, to be perfectly honest ... she might already have flipped. I simply cannot figure out her position based on her movements or by feeling -- makes me feel kinda stupid, but there ya go. Regardless, I haven't given up hope yet. I'm headed to the chiro for another adjustment in a few minutes, and I have a massage therapy appointment this afternoon -- the therapist is a doula who I hope will be able to offer some additional suggestions and who HOPEFULLY is better at palpating than I am! I expect I'll be at the chiro again on Wednesday, and I have another acupuncture/moxa appointment that afternoon too. Whew!

I'm thankful that my bosses are being so supportive. They know how desperately I want to avoid a section and aren't giving me any grief about how much I'm gone for the various appointments. I am, however, cleaning out my flexible spending account with all the co-pays and stuff not covered by insurance. Oh well ... let's just all cross our fingers!

#19 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

I wish you the best of luck. I do hope the doula can give you some good news. If the baby has turned will you continue to your appointments?
On the palpating I really, really stunk at first but I think I have kind of gotten the hang of it now. First I have found that I have to be lying down. I feel for the biggest lump and follow that. The big lump the butt is at my left side now and I can follow it down along the back to my pelvis, I felt kicks and they are on the right side, sometimes high and sometimes a bit lower. Hiccups are always low now as well.

#20 of 45 Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post
Yay for you!!!

Does anybody else already have their EV scheduled? If I can't get babe to flip by Thursday, it's to the hospital for me. (
Yes, mine is scheduled for this Thursday afternoon. I'm also in the position that it's either the EV or get scheduled for a caeserean. If the EV doesn't work, my m/w tells me they'll schedule a c-section too, probably for around the 38 - 39 week mark.

For the past 12 hours or so she keeps flipping btw transverse and frank breech, so I am hoping she will go all the way around to a full turn.
#21 of 45 Old 03-20-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
I wish you the best of luck. I do hope the doula can give you some good news. If the baby has turned will you continue to your appointments?
On the palpating I really, really stunk at first but I think I have kind of gotten the hang of it now. First I have found that I have to be lying down. I feel for the biggest lump and follow that. The big lump the butt is at my left side now and I can follow it down along the back to my pelvis, I felt kicks and they are on the right side, sometimes high and sometimes a bit lower. Hiccups are always low now as well.
Well, the doula agreed ... we all think the baby is head-down, butt to my right side, and feet up. However, from the way things feel to me, she's still not in an optimal position -- her head is kind of settled into my left hip. So, yeah, I'm still going to my Webster adjustments (covered by insurance and seem the most effective); but, I'll probably cancel the acupuncture. I can do the moxa at home, since the doctor gave me some sticks.

#22 of 45 Old 03-20-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzydotes View Post
Yes, mine is scheduled for this Thursday afternoon. I'm also in the position that it's either the EV or get scheduled for a caeserean. If the EV doesn't work, my m/w tells me they'll schedule a c-section too, probably for around the 38 - 39 week mark.

For the past 12 hours or so she keeps flipping btw transverse and frank breech, so I am hoping she will go all the way around to a full turn.
It really sucks that we don't have better choices. It sounds like your little one is still moving tons, though ... betcha she gets settled head-down and day now!

I may have to *have* a c/s if she doesn't turn, but I'm going to do my absolute darndest not to schedule it. What I mean is, I really, really want to go into labor on my own and labor for as long as I can, to give her every opportunity to flip, before I let them cut me open. My mw says I can decline just about anything, but since she's not in charge of doing the section and the ob has already railroaded me into a couple of procedures I didn't want .... well, we'll see how things go.

With any luck at all, it'll be a moot point for ALL of us!

#23 of 45 Old 03-20-2007, 07:48 PM

Hi Mommies...
Hugs to all of you and prayers too.

I don't have time to post Emily's birth story, but she had a beautiful breech delivery at home. Yes, we were very blessed to have a midwife who's delivered many breech babies at home. I know they're not common.

I chose not to have a EV after receiving strong intutive feelings that I shouldn't. But, I did do everything else-Pulsatilla, Webster Chiro, Moxa, all of the excercises possible, as well as talking a whole lot with Emily encouraging her to turn if she could, and praying- to get her to turn. I decided that after all that, if she still didn't turn, there was a reason-and it turned out that there was. (she had a velamentous placenta, without going into too much detail...)

Also, when I was preparing for this birth, I found that once I accepted (really and truly wrapped my heart and head around) the fact that no matter how she was going to come into the world, she would be ok, I was at peace. That was so hard for me to swallow. My first DD was also born at home and to think of having a CS was SO disheartening. But we finally decided that no matter how Emily was born, we knew that we were going to do everything in our power to create a safe and blessed birth for her. And you know, once I GOT that, everything just fell into place. So take heart and know that your babies will come the way that they are supposed to!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about our birth experience! I'll post the story soon...

All the best!
#24 of 45 Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Well, the doula agreed ... we all think the baby is head-down, butt to my right side, and feet up. However, from the way things feel to me, she's still not in an optimal position -- her head is kind of settled into my left hip. So, yeah, I'm still going to my Webster adjustments (covered by insurance and seem the most effective); but, I'll probably cancel the acupuncture. I can do the moxa at home, since the doctor gave me some sticks.
: : :

And all three of us were apparently wrong. The ob office made me come in for a "growth scan" today and they confirmed that she's still breech -- head to my right side, butt to my left hip, legs ... kind of all over the place. So, pretty much exactly where she was 10 days ago, after 4 Webster adjustments, acupuncture/moxa, etc., etc., etc. Tomorrow's my EV, but to be perfectly honest, I'm losing hope that she'll turn. I've been saying since we decided to lose the hb mw that we'd uc IF she turned, but the thought of being cut open for breech .... I can't stop crying. HOW in the heck did our birth culture get so f'ed up that my choices for breech birth are to be cut open or try to do it by myself at home? I just want to throw up. Preferably on the OB, since she's CAUGHT breech babies before but won't anymore. :

#25 of 45 Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
: : :

And all three of us were apparently wrong. The ob office made me come in for a "growth scan" today and they confirmed that she's still breech -- head to my right side, butt to my left hip, legs ... kind of all over the place. So, pretty much exactly where she was 10 days ago, after 4 Webster adjustments, acupuncture/moxa, etc., etc., etc. Tomorrow's my EV, but to be perfectly honest, I'm losing hope that she'll turn. I've been saying since we decided to lose the hb mw that we'd uc IF she turned, but the thought of being cut open for breech .... I can't stop crying. HOW in the heck did our birth culture get so f'ed up that my choices for breech birth are to be cut open or try to do it by myself at home? I just want to throw up. Preferably on the OB, since she's CAUGHT breech babies before but won't anymore. :
Oh no!!! I'm so sorry to hear that
I totally understand your pain and I hope that your baby will turn soon. It happens sometimes at the very last minute, so don't lose hope yet!!

Please let us know how the version turns out.
#26 of 45 Old 03-21-2007, 06:41 PM

Aww, I'm sorry heathenmom I know exactly how you feel because I've been teary etc thinking about the possibility of a c-section. My ECV's been rescheduled for next week now, to give the baby some time to turn, but I just can't see it happening. She's in a similar position to your bub, but she's frank breech and her feet are also up under my ribs, and I can't see how she can turn herself with her feet up there.

My m/w also said to me that if anyone was going to be able to deliver a successful breech birth it would be someone like me with 2 successful vaginal births to their name, but the hospital I've been going to only takes low-risk births. He warned me, also, that the hospital to which I've been referred will put a huge amount of pressure on me to have a c-section if the ECV fails.

Best of luck with the EV - will have my fingers crossed that bub will turn nice and easily for you
#27 of 45 Old 03-21-2007, 07:04 PM

Adding my name to the list. The midwives don't do breech deliveries, so if we can't get her turned, it means no chance for vbac for me. :
#28 of 45 Old 03-23-2007, 01:08 AM

Here's how my hospital visit went today. Warning ... it's LONG.

Got to Patient Registration at 7:30AM for my 8AM appointment. Half my info in the system was wrong -- again. They fix it every visit but it's always screwed up the next time. I declined their "offer" of wheelchair transport, instead choosing to walk/take the elevator to the 3rd floor.

Called my dh to let him know where I was. He said, "I know ... I overheard the nurses in the lobby talking about you." I'm like ... "What?!" He said they were making comments about the patient who didn't NEED a wheelchair and just walked out. He said he knew it was me.

So, my nurse is asking me all the intake questions and asks me if I ate last night. I said, "Uh, yeah. I ate this morning ...." She says, "You really shouldn't have done that. You may have to have a c-section today and they won't be able to operate on you since you ate." I responded, "Of course they could." She gets angry and insists that they most certainly will NOT operate on anyone who's eaten. So I said, "So, if someone is in a car accident and comes into the ER, they won't perform necessary surgery?" Nurse: "That's different." Silence for a minute or 2. "If your baby is in danger, they will operate, but it's very, very bad for *you.* I decided not to antagonize her any more and didn't ask her for proof of her claims. : I did explain to her that I couldn't un-eat the granola bar, so it really wouldn't do any good to keep beating me up about it. She also took my water, because apparently that's bad for you, too. :

So she starts the IV, and a ton of people keep coming in and out of the room. There's another patient in the room apparently recovering from a c/s who is throwing up in a bucket. :Puke I question the nurse about the medication she's about to inject into me and she gets another attitude and says it's part of my orders but she won't give it to me and I can just ask the doctor. Every other person (it seems like) who comes into the room wants to know when my c/s is scheduled for, and when I told them how big my 1st baby (born vag with no problems) was I thought they were all going to have heart attacks.

So, by now it's 9:30AM. I'm hooked up to an IV and almost done with the 1st bag of fluids. They've injected me with the meds to relax my uterus. I'm surrounded by the ob, my mw, the nurse, the u/s tech, and 2 people I don't know. My dh can't even get near me ... he's standing across the room. The u/s tech starts the scan (which I can't see anything of). Everybody's really quiet for a few minutes, talking in whispers about what they see, and my mw grabs my hand, then in a minute squeezes it really hard. When I look at her in surprise, she whispers to me ......

"She's head-down!"

I swear, she was at least as excited as we were! They don't know if the u/s tech from yesterday just sucked and misread the scan, or if she flipped overnight, but the ob said I didn't need the version. She did recommend an induction because the baby is already 8 lbs. (by the measurements from yesterday's scan .... hello -- inaccurate, anybody?). We of course declined.

#29 of 45 Old 03-23-2007, 02:27 AM

That is fantastic!
#30 of 45 Old 03-23-2007, 02:37 AM

yay! yay!

i haven't felt this one turn any of the times, either. isn't that weird? there's this gigantic creature in your belly, it *flips over entirely*, and you can't feel it happen.

still head down here too--for a little over a week.

whee,
j

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page