Baby Clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What will you be putting your baby in for the first couple days/weeks?

I went through all my baby clothes and sorted them into what I'd be needing right away and what I'll be using later. The only things I have in my "right away" pile are gowns, tshirts, baby legs, socks, hats and receiving blankets. That's all I'll need, right? I just feel like I'm missing something...

April/May is a really nice time of year to have a baby where we live, and with summer right around the corner, this baby can just live in cute dyed tshits and wool soakers all season, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 12:13 AM

I don't know about the weather in your area, but I'm in Canada and early april is still pretty darn cold. Like I did for ds who was born in October, I'm going for onesie's under zippered (I hate all the buttoned ones!) footed pj's for pretty much the first month. I had cute little outfits for liam that he never wore cause he looked so much comfier in his footed pj's
Old 03-18-2007, 12:32 AM

I have gowns, lots of sleepers and also some t-shirts that I plan on putting with soakers in case it's still warm here (it's been in the 80's here the past week).
Old 03-18-2007, 12:40 AM

We'll only be up here in MA for a couple of weeks after my babe is born so I'm planning for sleepers and onesies while we're here, and then onesies, tees, and rompers after we get back home.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:04 AM

It will be hot here but the a/c will be on. He will be in onesies and sleepers all the time...
Old 03-18-2007, 01:13 AM

The only thing you'd need besides that is a couple outfits with legs in case you have to go somewhere because gowns and carseats aren't fun.

A hat or two is always a good bet...

And socks, esp. if you're using gowns.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:58 AM

If going in the car, pants and a tshirt or kimono top.

For sleep, slug cozies (those gowns that are elasticized, but open at the bottom) and sleep sacks.

I expect there will be lots of time those first couple weeks spent with just skin to skin contact, a warm cotton sheet (me and my bed), and a rotating supply of fresh (cloth) diapers.

I have a few hats, mitts, and socks, too.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:17 AM

This baby will wear the same coming-home outfit that my first two girls wore...cream colored cotton pants and top with little pearl buttons. After that it will be pretty much kimono style t shirts I think, since I am in FL it will be hot here too!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:03 AM

I use gowns at night to help with diaper changes. During the day we'll use footed sleepers. The weather here fluctuates so we may or may not need onesies underneath. I have a few outfits too to show off when we have visitors and hats for when we go out. Lots of blankets for swaddling.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Banned

The babe will probably be wearing sleepers most of the time, but our apartment is fairly warm (because we have heaters we don't control, there are dials but they do not seem to have any effect) so I imagine the babe will be sporting onesies around home.

For the hospital I packed a lot of sleepers and undershirts because last time I packed 3 sleepers just like the booklet told me too, and by the end of dd's first day I had dh running home for more clothes. Her diapers were too loose and she made 3 big messes. A lovely welcome to motherhood.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:50 PM

Both my kids loved being in gowns most of the time when they were newborns so we went with that thought when we went shopping. We are planning on kimono style t-shirts under the gowns for a little more warmth, cloth dipes, and socks (which we haven't bought yet since I have been trying to find some cheaper ones, they run about $10 a pair here for some reason--argh!!!). The gowns they sell here are the ones that can be transformed into pants if need be, so I guess when we go in the car we will just change the snaps to pant style, but I don't think we will be going out much in the beginning.

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm not seeing a need for much more than what I already have out, at least for the first two weeks (I don't plan on even getting out of bed for the first week, so I doubt I'll leave the house before the baby is two weeks old).

I would like to dye some lap t's before the baby comes though...

I have some cute rompers, dresses and sleepers for after that two week time. It just seems like with each kid I realize how little you really need for a newborn.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 AM

I really have no idea how to optimally dress a newborn! I have some onsies (if the extenders let them fit over the cloth dipes), some gowns with elastic in the bottom and some footed sleepers.

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM

My plan is coverless cloth dipes & either lap tees or the side snap ones. Add a cover if we plan to go out. Repeat until the weather turns cool .... say, October.

Only half kidding. I do have some cute dresses & stuff, but HATE onesies with CD's, and pants/shorts over a CD/cover is way bulky and a pain to change.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 03-19-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post
My plan is coverless cloth dipes & either lap tees or the side snap ones. Add a cover if we plan to go out. Repeat until the weather turns cool .... say, October.

Only half kidding. I do have some cute dresses & stuff, but HATE onesies with CD's, and pants/shorts over a CD/cover is way bulky and a pain to change.
Exactly my thoughts!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

Ditto! We are in TX and it's getting WARM! This kids will only be in tees and cd for the better part of his first 6 months..

I think I have a reputation because I recieved a LOAD of tee shirts at the baby shower...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 PM

I am probably the odd girl out on this but I have all kinds of things to dress our baby in for the first few weeks. I have several one peice outfits with feet, a few sleepers, and some gowns -- but I also dress my girls up in day gowns and dresses with bloomers.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:19 AM

I have amassed a HUGE stash of soakers/shorts and tie-dyed t-shirts for the first couple of months, and I have started working on the summer soaker stash. I just bought more t-shirts to get dyed for summer too.
I have a couple of knitted pants that I made too. The weather here in San Diego is mild, but we can still get cool days in May and June.
I am very excited about my baby clothes.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 AM

lots and lots of gowns! I did not have a clue about these before Luke was born, but oh my goodness they made life so much easier. I remember going out 5 days pp last time to pick up some extra ones. I have a boatload of onesies, but didn't use those a ton last time, they just don't fit well with the cd's. If it is another boy I have outfits for when we go out. If it is a girl then I don't know, I only have 2 girlie outfits, and one gn outfit with feet.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM

mine (and this one) wore just a cut off tee shirt, diaper, and socks for the 1st 2 weeks until the umbilical cord feel off. At nighttime though, I'll have him wear sleepers as it's still chilly here. Oh, and hats for after bathtime.

Ohhh, I cannot wait for that fresh baby smell!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM

Man, now I am all excited! I actually LOVE onesies over cd butts, but I always have used pretty trim diapers. I actually had to keep reminding myself to get some kimono tees or lap shoulder tees because I have made a whole bunch of cute longies and shorties this time that I wanna show off!

Lots to tie dye and tea dye!!!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:57 AM
C99

I am weird and like putting babies in outfits during the day and then a sleeper at night, but this is my third so who knows if I will even have time for that?!? I like snap-tees with a pair of leggings and a cardigan or snap-tees with soft knit overalls or coveralls. Once summer weather hits, the baby will live in one-piece shorts rompers. Love, love, love them - so easy and so cute!
Old 03-22-2007, 02:01 AM

gowns, gowns, gowns. then teeshirts and coverless tie nappies for home, loveybums LIOs for out. we're ECing, so onesies are our mortal enemies. i found with hazel that i didn't have to put real clothes on her for as long as i used the fleece pouch (and she was born at the end of november!), so there's that, too; although i've since become one of those crazy waldorfy *must keep the baby warm* mamas, so this one will probably have a wool/silk underlayer on all the time from birth, too.

oh, and i'm a big fan of homedyed dharma blanks, especially lap tees, for easy cuteness

*j

User Tag List