Waking myself up puking - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lovely title, I know.

For a few nights in a row now, I've waken myself up spitting up acid in my mouth. The heartburn is just dreadful. I'm going to have to start remembering to take something before bed. :

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a bottle of Tums next to my bed. Sad isn't it?
#3 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Annette, couldn't help but notice the title of this thread. With both my pregnancies this happened, with the twins much earlier. The only way I can control it (and I've tried EVERYTHING) is no eating 3 hours before bed, I may need to make that 4 now, and to take a Extra Strength Pepcid plus a few tums. I sleep on my left side for the first 3-4 hours, elevated on 2 pillows. I'm afraid I might have to ask for something stronger as this isn't even working anymore.

Nothing like waking up with a mouth full of puke. :
#4 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewpie View Post
Annette, couldn't help but notice the title of this thread. With both my pregnancies this happened, with the twins much earlier. The only way I can control it (and I've tried EVERYTHING) is no eating 3 hours before bed, I may need to make that 4 now, and to take a Extra Strength Pepcid plus a few tums. I sleep on my left side for the first 3-4 hours, elevated on 2 pillows. I'm afraid I might have to ask for something stronger as this isn't even working anymore.

Nothing like waking up with a mouth full of puke. :
That sounds like my plan. I tried sleeping sitting up but ended up with an achy tailbone. Just a few more weeks... sigh...

On the other hand, it does sort of feel good to know I'm not alone. Even in puking, it's good to have company.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 04:34 PM

I finally got some Zantac and feel a LOT better. Hope you feel better soon!
#6 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 04:37 PM

With DD, I spent the last few weeks sleeping on my couch with one of those bed pillows wit arms behind me. I HAD to be semireclining to sleep. I hope yo find some relief soon
#7 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 05:28 PM

I am sorry your suffering like this, thankfully we are all in the home stretch now. Hang in there girl!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#8 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM

Ick, I hate having that acidy taste in my mouth--ugh!! Isn't it nice to think that we only have to sustain these things for just a few more weeks now--then we will be holding our new babes and hopefully not remembering all the ick!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#9 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Same here but able to keep it down most of the time, baby must have lots of hair.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

#10 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 PM

Since the baby has dropped the heartburn has definitely decreased, but not disappeared. The one thing that has consistently worked for me is eating apples after my bigger meals and having one at night around 2 hours before bedtime. I buy the ones in a bag, which are much smaller, and they are a perfect size for snacking.

It is worth a try!

I have heard about the hair and heartburn thing. I hope that it is true!

mama to cecilia and rosa with 1 old:
#11 of 19 Old 03-18-2007, 10:23 PM

Pardon the intrustion, not from this DDC, but I've had this problem and wanted to toss out a little advice.

I had heartburn so bad I'd wake up crying with my last pregnancy. Water gave me heartburn, kid you not. What worked for me was propping up the head of the bed. Dh took all the quilts and sleeping bags we owned, folded them up into a stack, and put it between the matress and box spring, raising the head of the bed a couple inches. It didn't cure the problem, but definitely helped. Oh, and otc Pepcid is considered "safe" for pregnancy if you're comfortable taking meds.

Oh, and he ended up having a little hair, while my first 2 were complete baldies, so maybe....
#12 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
I have a bottle of Tums next to my bed.
Yep, me too. It's really bad.
#13 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat
I have a bottle of Tums next to my bed. Sad isn't it?
Same here. Some nummy smooth dissolve peppermint ones. I also have two huge pillows that go under my legs until I need them to prop myself up in bed to help stop the heartburn. I've been craving ice water too, which makes the heartburn worse - and icy. But - I think baby must be dropping because the heartburn seems to be letting up!

Me (37) ~ DH (39) ~ DS (3) ~ TTC #2 since 4/10
#14 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 09:56 AM

Ew that happened to me last night! Its sooo gross.
#15 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenitii View Post
Same here. Some nummy smooth dissolve peppermint ones.
Tropical fruit flavored here.
I get all excited when I get a pink one!! It's becoming one of those fun night routines
#16 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:20 PM

So....

I read this thread the other day and so far I had only felt some nausia and diarreah (sorry TMI)..but then last night (of course while I was unable to log onto MDC!) I woke up with HORRIBLE heartburn. I finally took some Tums...I think maybe it helped..I also propped myself up on some extra pillows... come on baby - lets come in 3-4 weeks rather than 5-6 more
#17 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:27 PM

I take papaya enzymes- 3 or 4 seem to work. I've only woken up a couple times with it-- but when I first lay down in bed I have a hard time. Probably because I'm hypoglycemic- so I have to eat something before bed, and I have to take vitamins at night because they will make me sick during the day, so then I have to drink a whole glass of water too. ugh.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.
#18 of 19 Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Yep! I have never had heartburn like this in my life. I eat papaya tablets like they are going out of style! Hang in there, we are almost there!

Rachael ~ Wife to : DH ~ Son 4-24-07 ~ 6-24-08 ~ Daughter 7-22-09
#19 of 19 Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 AM

i take maalox before bed and keep the tums under my pillow for emergencies. i can only sleep on my left side, no matter how propped up i am. i hate refluxing acid and vomit into my mouth, especially while sleeping. i hate it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page